Using Apple Watch as Wake Up Alarm

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm a long-time original Pebble user, now using the Apple Watch. One of the best features of the Pebble, for me, was the use of the alarms to get me up in the morning. The vibration motor in the Pebble is strong. I then use my iPhone as the alarm sound backup, in case the Pebble dies, crashes, or otherwise fails to wake me up. This arrangement has never failed me, and have never had to let the phone sound its alarm. I'm always able to shut it off before the phone goes off. Also, when I'm groggy and want to snooze, I love that I can feel for the button, and hit it. It's really flawless and has never let me down. The best part is it doesn't wake my girlfriend.

Apple Watch isn't the same situation. The taptic feedback is not intense enough, even with prominent haptics, nor is the sound loud enough for me to trust it. So for now, I put on my Pebble at night still, while my Watch is charging.

I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on this arrangement, and if anyone uses their watch like that.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't know the first night I used it definitely woke me up in the morning maybe I was more sensitive to it since I've never been woken up like that before.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

Jets69

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I'll be sticking with my iPhone for alarm. It's by me every night on nightstand so it's easy enough. Watch I don't believe is loud enough plus it needs to be charging overnight so it's further away from my ear. I also don't trust the vibrations to wake me up even if I did keep it on my wrist over night.
Until Apple improves the battery life so we could sleep over night with watch on and maybe add a sleep alarm feature where it bumps up the sound out of the watch speaker and/or increases the vibration motor I'll be sticking with my trusty iPhone which has never let me down.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
From my experience, I would not trust the Apple Watch as an alarm while sleeping--particularly if I had a major appointment.

kd7irm

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The biggest issue i have had when attempting to use the watch as a stand alone alarm is the volume, its just not loud enough for me. I will continue relying on the iPhone for wake up alarms.

kjparfekt

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I've thought about keeping my pebble for this and notifications in water situations (showering or at the beach/pool).

I agree about the prominent haptic feedback still being too soft. I miss the strong motor of the pebble vibration. I never missed a message but I've missed texted messages and more frequently since getting the apple watch Friday.

bahandi

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I think you may have settled my dilemma. When I heard of the Apple Watch, using it as an alarm in order to allow everyone else to sleep, was my original intent for use.

I may just go with a Pebble after all and save a couple hundred dollars.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW