You're doing it wrong!!!!!

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
There is sort of a problem with people's interaction with the Apple Watch right now; I think we're going about this the wrong way.

I realize we're in the novelty of things & we have a lot of excitement to burn through, but I couldn't help but notice the great influx of users worldwide using the Apple Watch in ways I don't really think are ideal.

I see a lot of people 'INITIATING' actions 'ON' the watch & not necessarily 'RESPONDING' & 'ACKNOWLEDGING' things 'FROM' the watch.

This watch is supposed to be high end fashion accessory when not in use and act as a filter to your phone.

To let everything that you would be notified of on your phone notify on your Watch is missing the point.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
This watch is supposed to be high end fashion accessory when not in use and act as a filter to your phone.
I basically agree with you (well, maybe my watch with its rubber strap isn't exactly "high end" fashion). But this kind of device is so new, I don't think anyone knows yet how their use will shake out. It took me months to figure out how I wanted to use my iPad, for example.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

To let everything that you would be notified of on your phone notify on your Watch is missing the point.
No, the whole point of the watch is to use the phone less...

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I see a lot of people 'INITIATING' actions 'ON' the watch & not necessarily 'RESPONDING' & 'ACKNOWLEDGING' things 'FROM' the watch.

Yes and no.

One big thing on the watch is voice control. It's great for text message conversations with others, and that works well whether you initiate or your friend does.

Also, Shazam. Always takes too darn long to open up the app after pulling out my phone. That's something initiated from the watch.

Etc.

It's a filter for the phone, yes -- these things are near-instantaneous transactions -- but they're not exclusively passive.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
There is sort of a problem with people's interaction with the Apple Watch right now; I think we're going about this the wrong way.

I realize we're in the novelty of things & we have a lot of excitement to burn through, but I couldn't help but notice the great influx of users worldwide using the Apple Watch in ways I don't really think are ideal.

Perhaps that's why the Watch (along with the iPhone, iPad and personal computer) are considered personal devices. You can buy them, then use them as YOU see fit. Ultimately, there is no "right way" or "wrong way".

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Yea no doubt there's no such thing as a "wrong" or "right" way to use the Apple Watch but I can't help but adhere to the reality that the iPhone will do whatever similarities that the Apple Watch can share with it better.

I feel like the Apple Watches true potential lies in the things that it's able to do that the iPhone can't or can't do as well; for example, monitor health stats, pay for things with the LEAST amount of effort, be a fashion statement that's worn on the body, engage in Siri with the LEAST amount of effort, easily REACT to texts & calls, unlock hotel doors, etc.

My point is, rummaging through Twitter, Facebook & email notifications (talking about the PROACTIVE action here) sorta misses the point of the Apple Watch on my mind lol.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Yea no doubt there's no such thing as a "wrong" or "right" way to use the Apple Watch but I can't help but adhere to the reality that the iPhone will do whatever similarities that the Apple Watch can share with it better.

I feel like the Apple Watches true potential lies in the things that it's able to do that the iPhone can't or can't do as well; for example, monitor health stats, pay for things with the LEAST amount of effort, be a fashion statement that's worn on the body, engage in Siri with the LEAST amount of effort, easily REACT to texts & calls, unlock hotel doors, etc.

My point is, rummaging through Twitter, Facebook & email notifications (talking about the PROACTIVE action here) sorta misses the point of the Apple Watch on my mind lol.

Maybe it "sorta misses the point of the Apple Watch" in your opinion, but if that's how I choose to use mine (hypothetical, as I am not buying gen 1), who are you to say that my use "misses the point"? If THAT's how I choose to use it, that IS the point, for me.

Hang on to your opinion with a death grip for all I care. Just understand that your opinion really only applies to you and your usage - NOT anyone else.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Although I understand what you're saying, your view of how the Watch should be used is not and should not be shared by everyone. When I receive my Watch, I will test everything on it initially, and then use it in lieu of grabbing my iPhone in regard to checking notifications and stuff like that.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Hang on to your opinion with a death grip for all I care. Just understand that your opinion really only applies to you and your usage - NOT anyone else.

I didn't mean to come off as "my way should be the only way" & I thought I was very careful with my wording to make sure of this.

The point being, I realize that everyone is different & whatever use they decide on will be the right one but I couldn't help but have the feeling the use case is all over the place right now & most of the negative "why would I want a smart watch" feedback has stemmed from this very thing.

What's your take on that?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I didn't mean to come off as "my way should be the only way" & I thought I was very careful with my wording to make sure of this.

The point being, I realize that everyone is different & whatever use they decide on will be the right one but I couldn't help but have the feeling the use case is all over the place right now & most of the negative "why would I want a smart watch" feedback has stemmed from this very thing.

What's your take on that?

Fair enough. If I sounded overly harsh, I apologize. My point is simply that many will want/buy/use the Watch, and there will be people on every part of the spectrum between "would never buy it" to "I'm buying 2 and will use it all day, every day for everything". But the key for everyone who buys one is that they will use is as they see fit. As the old adage goes, "if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail".

My take?

It's a brand new item, as far as Apple is concerned. Just like the smart phone and the tablet were. At the time Apple introduced their version of these items, none of these were new tech products, as far as the industry was concerned. There were smart phones and tablets before Apple got into these areas. Likewise, there were smart watches before Apple launched the Watch. I expect Apple to set the standard with the watch, as well.

iPhone was unique in that it was the first smart phone that was primarily a touch screen device. And, despite its shortcomings at the time (no AppStore, no MMS, no cut/copy and paste, etc.), it still took the world by storm. At the same time, many people balked at $600 for a phone - largely because of the perceived value (that is, "What am I going to do with this?" and "I am not sure this thing is worth $600", and so on).

Similarly, iPad was not the first attempt at a tablet device. But its design was completely different from what we had previously seen. It was thinner, lighter and relatively inexpensive. However, again, people wondered why they needed it. It was largely perceived as a "consumption device", not as a "creative device". Many said "I don't need it".

I see the watch as the same situation. Many will wonder "why" they "need" it. Others will use it in "unconventional" ways. The smart watch is still a relatively new device, and typical of these types of devices, adoption until now, was largely limited to techies, geeks and nerds.

As with the smart phone and the tablet, Apple will drag the masses kicking and screaming into the era of the smart watch. The amazing part of this all is that in 2, 3, 5 or 10 years, we will be amazed at how we "need" the smart watch in one or more of its permutations. And we will wonder how we managed to live without one. The smart watch will evolve over the years, we can all be certain. And it has to start somewhere.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
iPhone was unique in that it was the first smart phone that was primarily a touch screen device. And, despite its shortcomings at the time (no AppStore, no MMS, no cut/copy and paste, etc.), it still took the world by storm. At the same time, many people balked at $600 for a phone - largely because of the perceived value (that is, "What am I going to do with this?" and "I am not sure this thing is worth $600", and so on).

Similarly, iPad was not the first attempt at a tablet device. But its design was completely different from what we had previously seen. It was thinner, lighter and relatively inexpensive. However, again, people wondered why they needed it. It was largely perceived as a "consumption device", not as a "creative device". Many said "I don't need it".

I see the watch as the same situation. Many will wonder "why" they "need" it. Others will use it in "unconventional" ways. The smart watch is still a relatively new device, and typical of these types of devices, adoption until now, was largely limited to techies, geeks and nerds.

Wow, when you put it like that it truly is a slap in the face of how true that is; that is absolutely 100% correct. We were already in this position quite a few times in the past and all of the "why do I need this" devices that have come before the Apple Watch have now redefined a genre a tech all while setting the gold standard for their respective genres.

I really do appreciate the insight on these topics and I look forward to exploring more questions through these forums with the folks like yourself & others.

To steer back to the point though, regardless of how people figure out ways to use it, this thing is definitely here to stay and is likely to redefine this genre through all future iterations.

I'll definitely be looking to establish myself as an early adopter with the Apple Watch, Classic Buckle and White Sport Band (early June ETA).

TimmyB20

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
Great conversation! Here's my thoughts......I believe it's the "new way" of communicating. I believe that's the "real point" of the smart watch. It's funny, because in this new day in age of communicating, there's some underlying issues that ur kinda not supposed to talk about. What I mean, is that when u send a text to someone, or an email, or a voicemail, u EXPECT a quick response......in a way, our personal emotions are tied into that response, and the length of time it took to get that response. No one sends anyone a text, and says to themselves "hey, I hope she waits 3 hours to respond to this!" In a way, I could argue that I'm better off only being able to contact someone once or twice a day, by calling their landline.....then I am now by constantly texting someone, that takes hours to respond to each text! Lol! One, there's no "emotional expectation", and the other has u constantly in "put urself out there" mode.

So that's where I think the watch comes in. It's a way of always having ur communication device on u, as its work as a accessory that's pretty much worn at all waking hours. I've noticed that I have communicated with my girlfriend more since having one(though she doesn't have one yet). It's like she has an unspoken "trust" that I'm more connected to her, and that has caused her to reach out more. But again, u could argue that this isn't necessarily a "better" thing......but this is America, and it's what we do!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TimmyB20

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

You need to look at the subject/title of your original post. :)

As others have stated.... these are personal devices which can serve their owners in many ways.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
It takes awhile to figure out which notifications make the most sense on the watch.

I'm getting to the point that I've got it organized right. Disabled some apps (banished from watch), deleted some glances, added a couple of other glances (MLB, CBC).

Each watch will be organized in a very personal way.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
If and when I get the  Watch I'll use a lot as just a watch. There will be times when I want the connection and times when I won't.
Just like there are times I don't need messages and phone calls hitting my iPad.
The  Watch doesn't have to serve some divine purpose have fun with it enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234