• 38mm

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • 42mm

Votes: 60 81.1%

• Total voters

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a small wrist and have always worn huge watches, so size does not intimidate me. Having said that, I started w/ 38 on Milanese loop - didn't consider the larger one. A colleague showed up wearing the 42 - tried that one alongside mine and reconsidered. Although I liked look of the 38, after a week of squinting at it, I went back for fitting w/ 42s.

I discovered that the band makes a huge difference. 42 on Milanese loop looked goofy- and the loop for the larger watch was too long. My wrist is 152mm (exactly six inches): the Milanese loop says it fits from 150mm, but magnet doubled back to hit the watch case vs the band. Link bracelet= more adjustable, but also a bit clown-like. Black classic buckle was magic - enough to make the swap.

the look and fit changed dramatically from one band to another - in part because of how the different bands attach to the watch. Integrated (link; sport) had a larger look vs the others (leather, Milanese) that integrate metal loop rather than the band itself. The watch that was too big on Milanese, too goofy on link, was perfect on classic buckle.

If you're on the fence, try all the bands you like enough to buy and wear- it does change the look enough to help with the decision. I've also stopped squinting :)

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
42. Why? For starters, it's the Universal Answer to Everything!

Then there's:

Better battery life
Better legibility
Size appropriate for my wrist

Even with the brighter screen, I hope for even better battery life from the S2. I'm Ok with the Apple Watch's battery life, but more is better. Waiting for my S2...

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
My wrist is 5 inches in diameter.

Don't you mean circumference? 5" in diameter means that police (or friends) have a very hard time putting you in cuffs.

For a 5" circumference, I think a 42mm would look very big on your wrist. That's a personal thing, though. I think it might also not be that comfortable or fit well and become annoying throughout the day. The Sport, Milanese, and Leather Loop bands may adjust to fit adequately, but others won't. You should try both on to be sure, but I think the 38mm would be a better fit.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
size does not intimidate me.

I've never cared for huge watches but it's a nice look on women.

I have 42s because- I like the look of the size, the legibility, and the battery life. With the S2 and wOS3, battery life on the 38s may not be the issue it is on the Watches, but the other two factors are still real considerations for me.

And 42 is the Universal Answer.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I have 38mm. My wrists are tiny. 42 would looks like a brick on me. One of the reasons I got the AW is bc it offered two sizes. All the other smart watches I've used have been gigantic on me.

Last edited:

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Went with the 42. Honestly, never even considered the 38. But with the way the 42 looks...i know I made the right choice. Couldn't imagine it being any smaller honestly.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
42mm all the way, although I have large hands. If they made a 45mm version I would have purchased it.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Thank goodness for Apple stores. I have a small wrist and was convinced I wanted a 38. It took less than 5 minutes of wearing each to realize that 42 was the right size. I would have been unhappy with the 38.

What would be interesting to me is size preference by gender. Of those who have responded to the poll, it's roughly an 80 (42) / 20 (38) split. BUT, what are the percentages for women and for men? My guess would be that 80% of those who have responded are men.

jaleesag88

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I just ordered 38mm series 2. I tried it on in Best Buy and it felt perfect. I just hope the screen size ends up being okay in the long run. Not that I plan on solely depending on it, but still. Buyers remorse I think is all it is!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2