Votes: 14 18.9%
  • 42mm

Votes: 60 81.1%

• Total voters

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I do not have a preference between the two sizes, but I did purchase a 38mm watch. My reasoning is that I have a smaller wrist and the 42mm would have felt out of proportion with my wrist and arm. The 38mm is perfect for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife got the 38 as well and when she tried my 42 on, it looked huge. I'm sure you made a great choice.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
My wife got the 38 as well and when she tried my 42 on, it looked huge. I'm sure you made a great choice.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

I really think that would have been the case for me. I use a measuring tape to test and it would have been bigger than my wrist. I would have been bumping into everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I got the 42 but I hate that it's more prone to bang against things maybe just because I'm a very animated person who uses my arms and hands to put a lot of emphasis on what I'm saying but I used my wife's 38 for two days no worries it was a space gray so it didn't look to bad but I never hit it against anything but won't lie I love the bigger so I went back to my 42 and got a carbon fiber wrap and screen protector I couldn't stand to use a bulky case on top of my watchView attachment 82104

What screen protector is on there? It is crystal clear

bamf-hacker

Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
picked up a Skinomi screen protector and the Spigen Fit case to protect the watch. I am an avid fitness person and the last thing I would want is to scratch the watch on weight plates etc at the gym.

I am not sure how the Skinomi will look though... We will see on Monday :)

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I got the Spigen Flex Screen Protector and the Slim Fit case in black and silver. I'll also see how they fit on Monday but so far the reviews I've read are mixed. If they end up being not so good, I'd be real interested in that carbon fiber wrap.

Bjones718

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't agree with "if your a man, you need the 42". I got the 38 because I didn't want a big watch on my arm. I'm a fan of the smaller, classic looking watches.
After I ordered I did a try on at the local Apple Store, and I tried on both. The 42mm is not that big, and still fits nice, but I went with the 38mm anyway. I am very happy with my decision. I don't have small wrist, and I think the watch looks perfect.

Edit: Sorry, I'm new to this. I don't know why the picture came out sideways...

Attachments

• IMG_0221.JPG
    IMG_0221.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 49

bamf-hacker

Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Really it's 6 of one half dozen of the other. I have normal sized wrists but I prefer the larger 42mm because that is the size for he most part of all my previous watches.

Teague Kelley

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I was worried about the size of the 38mm being too small. One of my employees received theirs today so of course I tried it on. I watched a few reviews online and they all looked small. For a normal skinny/average person, the 38mm isn't bad. I would like to see how much of a difference the 42mm is, hurry up watch!

Teague Kelley

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I went with the 38mm as well after seeing my son's and I have no problem with it whatsoever!

View attachment 82312

This goes along with my above comment. For those on the fence about the two. Go to the store a check it out before you order. If not, measure your wrist and ask some people that have the 38mm what size wrist they have and compare. 38 looks perfectly normal on this wrist and looked good on mine also!

bamf-hacker

Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
And this now worries me to see a huge watch on this wrist. Lol. Hopefully my wrist is slightly bigger than this one.

No need to worry... If it is too big, you can exchange it. Plus Apple stores will have watches in stock at the end of the month, and I am guessing the 38mm models will be the majority of the stock.

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
...If not, measure your wrist and ask some people that have the 38mm what size wrist they have and compare. 38 looks perfectly normal on this wrist and looked good on mine also!

Did you measure your wrist? Mine is about 185 mm. Not big or small. In fact, I'm in the range where I can use either the big or small sport bands that came with my Watch so medium describes me perfectly.

I measured by printing out a paper ruler. You can download one here: printaruler.com

Camera angles can make the watch look bigger than it really is in photos. Here are 2 pics I took of my watch from slightly different angles:

Watch Angle 1.jpgWatch Angle 2.jpg

To me, the Watch looks much larger in the second photo but the first photo is much more realistic in terms of how it really looks. Certainly not too big.

chilledbeer

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I got a 42mm as I went to the Apple Store fitting appointment wearing a huge Longines steel watch. Even 42mm felt tiny. But now after having used the watch for a day, it feels perfect.