Yearly launch?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So do you think Apple will keep the same yearly product refresh for the watch or go longer before launching new watches? I know iPhone is every year, maybe watch will be different?

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I think the watch will be different. I would like to see them just continue releasing new watches and bands throughout the year.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they will offer a new Watch on an annual basis, but I could be wrong. I know that personally, the Watch is not something that's high on my refresh list.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I'll be surprised if they don't refresh it next year, simply because this one seems a little underpowered.

Which is why I initially just wanted to wait for the second generation. But my willpower is not strong.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I'll be surprised if they don't refresh it next year, simply because this one seems a little underpowered.

Which is why I initially just wanted to wait for the second generation. But my willpower is not strong.
Stay strong young grasshopper hahaha jk I'm the same way

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they will offer a new Watch on an annual basis, but I could be wrong. I know that personally, the Watch is not something that's high on my refresh list.
Agree. Think it will be like the iPad in terms of how long before people upgrade and not as soon as many do with phones.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I've struggled with this question for awhile. If they don't release it next year especially after the success in sales compared to other smartwatches. The media will crucify them saying that they run out of ideas or it wasn't as successful as they hoped. It will also give competitors a year to try and match or exceed what Apple is offering. However I also feel like it's a different kind of device so they might do a OS update that would add functionality and give people an extra year before wanting to upgrade. In the end I feel like it will be a yearly refresh cycle becuase of the amount of people waiting until gen 2 to buy. The people who will buy the gen 1 because it's cheaper if they follow the iPhone/iPad model. Also people who have a gen 1 and upgrade can then pass the gen 1 watch on to family and significant others who don't want the latest and greatest. It populates their ecosystem.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

That's kind of where I am. I don't wear a watch now, but I still toyed with the idea of getting one. In fact, I have had several in my "cart" on the Apple store page. I agree that this one is a bit underpowered, battery life concerns me, and frankly, I want to see how this develops before "jumping in". Of course, all of the battery life, underpowered, unknown issues are things that Apple can and will correct/expand/build on over time, so I am looking forward to Watch 2, Son of Watch. I expect a pretty short cycle on the refresh from Apple until they settle into their place in the market (i.e., at the top of the food chain).

tyler_barnhardt

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I too have wondered about this. Seems like it will probably have a yearly refresh. I would love to see it be every other year. But like many others here I do have a sense that they will be able to make it faster and thinner within a years time. If the bands don't fit the next generation...we've got issues apple.

...well not really I will still love you but that will be the greatest disappointment.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I too have wondered about this. Seems like it will probably have a yearly refresh. I would love to see it be every other year. But like many others here I do have a sense that they will be able to make it faster and thinner within a years time. If the bands don't fit the next generation...we've got issues apple.

...well not really I will still love you but that will be the greatest disappointment.

I too will be very cranky if the bands don't fit the next generation.

I'd be so cranky it might delay my upgrade till the third generation.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

I don't think it will get much thinner until probably 3rd gen. Components just don't allow it now, and watch space isn't as fast paced as the phone shrinking of components was.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
That would tick off a lot of people. I could see Apple doing it though.

Oh, totally. Although on phones and tablets they've tended to let accessories carry forward through two or three generations.

Apple wants its users enjoying their products Apple's way and no other. We put up with it because they make the experience good.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Oh, totally. Although on phones and tablets they've tended to let accessories carry forward through two or three generations.

Apple wants its users enjoying their products Apple's way and no other. We put up with it because they make the experience good.

Agree. I'd say probably at least 2 gens will look similar and use same accessories, if not more

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2