Is checking your Apple Watch any less rude than checking your phone?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
You assume wrong... I simply think it's incongruous to be so almost overly interested in a product one has zero plans to buy until sometime in indefinite future. The zeal is quite puzzling.

kch50428,

You inspired me to start a thread explaining where I am and how I came to my decision about the Apple Watch (since it's a off topic here anyway). Let me know what you think. ;)

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Been using forums since Compuserve and Prodigy. This kind of repeated pig pile from the same 6 people has really made this forum an unfriendly place. Active participation seems to be shrinking. And even fun topics like this have gone awry because of the pig piles.

In the last 6 months I have seen real bullying on here. One guy was literally driven out. Some of the disgusting things that were said should have resulted in expulsion from the site. One particular contributor is still posting today with consistent references to male anatomy. If it was anyone else who wasn't a friend of a mod they would have been banned.

I took a break from the forums because of this stuff. Coming back excited by the watch and all I have seen is pig pile after pig pile. With new people not being treated with respect nothing can improve. That's just too bad. Real shame.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Been using forums since Compuserve and Prodigy. This kind of repeated pig pile from the same 6 people has really made this forum an unfriendly place. Active participation seems to be shrinking. And even fun topics like this have gone awry because of the pig piles.

In the last 6 months I have seen real bullying on here. One guy was literally driven out. Some of the disgusting things that were said should have resulted in expulsion from the site. One particular contributor is still posting today with consistent references to male anatomy. If it was anyone else who wasn't a friend of a mod they would have been banned.

I took a break from the forums because of this stuff. Coming back excited by the watch and all I have seen is pig pile after pig pile. With new people not being treated with respect nothing can improve. That's just too bad. Real shame.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

jean15paul's thread have been quite refreshing, in my personal opinion. He is actually doing the iMore membership a service by creating conversations in regard to the Watch. I highly doubt the regulars here have a problem with jean15paul, the person. Some of his comments may spark a debate, but that's normal in any forum on the net. Besides, he's proven himself to be level-headed and mature enough to take any criticism to this point, in my opinion. iMore is one of the most laid back forums throughout Mobile Nations, but that doesn't mean we won't ask questions, debate someone or even call them out on occasion, and since none of us are exactly the same, we will not respond or act the same. Finally, in regard to pig-piling, I wholeheartedly disagree. Having 6 people disagree with 1 person is not a problem. Allowing someone to spout off untruths or factually incorrect information unchecked is doing a disservice to others who may be interested in knowing the facts. In conclusion, this is a forum where we all have varying opinions and tolerance levels. I think the following statement tells it best: "....We discuss things. We enjoy each other's opinions. We're a community." ~ Rene Ritchie (Aug. 7, 2013). Note: enjoying each other's opinions doesn't mean having to agree with them. Anyway, that's my two cents...:)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't think so. It is rude one way or the other. Now that being said, short glances, some may consider not as much, but I look at it like this. If you are constantly looking at your watch, that is usually a sign of boredom or you want to go.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't think so. It is rude one way or the other. Now that being said, short glances, some may consider not as much, but I look at it like this. If you are constantly looking at your watch, that is usually a sign of boredom or you want to go.

That's exactly how I see it.

Whenever there is a situation where someone looks at their watch someone asks "Do you have to be somewhere?" It's going to take years and years for that perception to wear off with smartwatches being more prominent.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
That's exactly how I see it.

Whenever there is a situation where someone looks at their watch someone asks "Do you have to be somewhere?" It's going to take years and years for that perception to wear off with smartwatches being more prominent.

Agree. That is usually the cue to end it and call it a night/day/evening whatever it may be.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
jean15paul's thread have been quite refreshing, in my personal opinion. He is actually doing the iMore membership a service by creating conversations in regard to the Watch. I highly doubt the regulars here have a problem with jean15paul, the person. Some of his comments may spark a debate, but that's normal in any forum on the net. Besides, he's proven himself to be level-headed and mature enough to take any criticism to this point, in my opinion. iMore is one of the most laid back forums throughout Mobile Nations, but that doesn't mean we won't ask questions, debate someone or even call them out on occasion, and since none of us are exactly the same, we will not respond or act the same. Finally, in regard to pig-piling, I wholeheartedly disagree. Having 6 people disagree with 1 person is not a problem. Allowing someone to spout off untruths or factually incorrect information unchecked is doing a disservice to others who may be interested in knowing the facts. In conclusion, this is a forum where we all have varying opinions and tolerance levels. I think the following statement tells it best: "....We discuss things. We enjoy each other's opinions. We're a community." ~ Rene Ritchie (Aug. 7, 2013). Note: enjoying each other's opinions doesn't mean having to agree with them. Anyway, that's my two cents...:)

Well said 'D. I feel that jean15paul's threads have been great but it seems there has been a lot of double threads created and then there's the stuff that we won't even know until we have the watch in our hands. It's one thing to create meaningful conversation but to flood the forum with seemingly useless threads say in the realm of 42 new threads in 6 hours won't name names but I mean come on.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

If you're looking at the time. But with the Watch, it could be a number of things. Problem is, most people won't have an Watch and will think you're checking the time.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
If you're looking at the time. But with the Watch, it could be a number of things. Problem is, most people won't have an Watch and will think you're checking the time.

Even worse. You're checking something, so obviously aren't that content with the person/thing you're currently doing.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Even worse. You're checking something, so obviously aren't that content with the person/thing you're currently doing.

Stuff like meds reminders is worse than checking the time?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Stuff like meds reminders is worse than checking the time?

Well if you're old/forgetful maybe, but most people could arrange their meds around these times/events. Not to mention that's usually a one time thing. Not constantly checking the watch.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I feel like my friends know I have a Pebble and don't take offense to a quick glance, but I'm careful not to check it around others.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That's another thing. I think around some it will be acceptable, and others will take offense.

It could also turn into an opportunity to show the watch to others who may not have understanding of it. They may decide they want to look at one and be rude too!

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I really don't think so, unless you're on it like u normally would be your iPhone. Responding to texts & playing with Apps.

Tapatalk'n On The IPhone 6 Plus 

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It could also turn into an opportunity to show the watch to others who may not have understanding of it. They may decide they want to look at one and be rude too!

Be rude together! Lol

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner