Is checking your Apple Watch any less rude than checking your phone?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
What do you think? Is checking your Apple Watch any less rude than checking your phone? Do you plan to use your Apple Watch during meals, conversations, meetings, etc? Or are the rules the same, and it's rude to check your Watch at certain times?

mackaybell

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, it's a lot less rude than checking your iPhone, but no less rude than checking your normal watch. It's rude to keep checking your watch during a dinner or meeting (unless you have a good reason and explain it to your guest/business associate/friend).

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Being out of the country for quite some time, I had thought being polite over there was no longer the "in thing". Has that changed then?

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
I think it depends on the situation. I try to be aware of the situation I'm in before checking my device. If in in an important meeting I won't check my phone and prob not my watch. If it's a causal lunch/meeting and others are checking their phones I'll check occasionally.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's no less rude, just not as noticeable. It will be if you look at it repeatedly.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
The Verge reviewer says it felt more rude. I think looking at your phone is kind of like you got a phone call and it's supposedly an unfortunate interruption. "Oh sorry, I am waiting for an email from a client". As opposed to looking at the watch is hoping for a way out of a conversation. Really they are equally rude. Maybe the haptic will help as we can get a signal of only important notifications without looking.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
What do you think? Is checking your Apple Watch any less rude than checking your phone? Do you plan to use your Apple Watch during meals, conversations, meetings, etc? Or are the rules the same, and it's rude to check your Watch at certain times?

Are you purchasing an Apple watch?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Are you purchasing an Apple watch?
I've been considering it but I think I'm resolved to stick with my pebble for a while and wait and see.

speaking of my pebble when I started using that I thought it would be a lot less rude and a lot less noticeable to check in public. but I found that the same rules apply. checking it during conversations, in meetings, etc still is a pretty big interruption and comes off as rude, maybe even more so than checking the phone. that's why I wanted to get everyone's thoughts because I'm wondering if the Apple watch will change that.

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been considering it but I think I'm resolved to stick with my pebble for a while and wait and see.

speaking of my pebble when I started using that I thought it would be a lot less rude and a lot less noticeable to check in public. but I found that the same rules apply checking it during conversations, in meetings, etc still is a pretty big interruption and comes off as rude, maybe even more so than checking the phone. that's why I wanted to get everyone's thoughts because I'm wondering if the Apple watch will change that.

SMH

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
probably this...

For someone who's not likely getting one at least for a while, you're being quite persistent in kicking around an awful lot of sand in this here sandbox... which I can see giving someone cause to 'smh'... I know I am.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
probably this...

For someone who's not likely getting one at least for a while, you're being quite persistent in kicking around an awful lot of sand in this here sandbox... which I can see giving someone cause to 'smh'... I know I am.
I was very interested in getting one and was doing a lot of research. I came here to discuss amongst everyone else. After all of that I'm still interested in the Apple watch, but will probably wait until generation 2. Does that mean I'm not allowed to come here and discuss? Also I'm not sure how I'm kicking around sand.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Does the OP have a iPhone?

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
I'm not sure why there's any focus on me personally. But whatever.

I'm currently using an HTC One M8 and an iPad Mini. I've owned iPhones in the past and I would consider coming back.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
2. Does that mean I'm not allowed to come here and discuss? Also I'm not sure how I'm kicking around sand.
Kicking around sand... a metaphor for talking a lot about something you've expressed to be interested in - but not wanting to get yet... sorry to be esoteric.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
OP has created a ton of threads with questions about  Watch that many can't answer because no has it yet. The best answers are on Apple.com. Or review blogs that have the watch.

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
OP has created a ton of threads with questions about  Watch that many can't answer because no has it yet. The best answers are on Apple.com. Or review blogs that have the watch.

Trolling.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner