Raise wrist to wake

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know how sensitive the raise write to wake feature will be? will it wake up when you are running for example? Can that feature be turned off?
I know with my pebble i turn off the shake to turn on the display backlight because it turns on when i am at the gym or walking .

I am assuming this will have to be answered by someone who's actually used the watch

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I've heard mixed reviews about the sensitivity, but I believe the raise to wake feature can be disabled in the settings.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't invest too much worry in what people have experienced with the display units...wait until the watch is out and people have them in hand at home in the real world, and you'll get all the answers you ever wanted (and many you didn't) at that time.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Well I guess as long as we can turn the feature off at certain times like when I'm at the gym all will be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Then it will kill the battery. I can see the option being added maybe later, but not many would want to use it.

Not if it's done like the pebble. Pebble screen is on all the time and the battery lasts 10 days for me. Maybe they can have a certain screen saver that uses very low battery life that's black and white

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
That works on the Pebble because it uses e-ink tech like a kindle which doesn't require additional power once the text is displayed. An OLED screen will always require some battery power for the lighted pixels.

Really? The Pebble uses e-ink? Yuk!!
I didn't know that.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
That works on the Pebble because it uses e-ink tech like a kindle which doesn't require additional power once the text is displayed. An OLED screen will always require some battery power for the lighted pixels.

Fair enough. That being said I'm sure there can be some kinda low powered screen saver in the future

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Actually it's E-Paper....

E-paper is just "electronic paper" defined as any display technology that looks similar to ink on paper and works by reflecting light instead of emitting light.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Actually it's E-Paper....

E-paper is just "electronic paper" defined as any display technology that looks similar to ink on paper and works by reflecting light instead of emitting light.

Well it looks like $h*t lol. But gets the job done ha

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I was curious as well. Especially when driving. I drive with my left hand(same hand the watch is on) and if it constantly was turning on and off, I feel like that would kill the watch. That and while teaching (i talk with my hands a lot) it could kill the battery quick if you couldn't turn it off.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I was curious as well. Especially when driving. I drive with my left hand(same hand the watch is on) and if it constantly was turning on and off, I feel like that would kill the watch. That and while teaching (i talk with my hands a lot) it could kill the battery quick if you couldn't turn it off.

Yup. Hoping it can be turned off. It's a great idea in theory but with my experience (pebble) it does more harm than good

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site

From my experience with a Galaxy Gear, and a Moto 360. Arm motion wasn't that big of a deal. Your wrist has to be at a particular angle & motion to activate the back light. Yes it can and does come on at unwanted times, but not to the point where I wanted to turn that feature off

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
From my experience with a Galaxy Gear, and a Moto 360. Arm motion wasn't that big of a deal. Your wrist has to be at a particular angle & motion to activate the back light. Yes it can and does come on at unwanted times, but not to the point where I wanted to turn that feature off

Plus I'm confident apple has done a good job making sure that feature works properly. They aren't first to the market with the watch but I'm confident they have done it right.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR