How could Apple have made the pre-order better?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Had more in stock. Make it so it's not 3am for those of us on the East Coast.
Good glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way :)

I wish they had more stock- I think those of us who got up at 3am to order should know by now if we will have the watch for launch day. I got in right away and had my confirmation email by 3:04. My date is 4/24-5/8- that's ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone 6

See I was also thinking of some way that Apple could do this but it's really a tough nut to crack. I thought well what if they took pre-orders earlier so that they know the number of units ordered. Then they could produce it and everyone that pre-ordered would get it on launch day. So in other words instead of pre-orders on April 10th they would have done it in March giving them a month to produce all the units needed. The problem is that with that much time people might cancel their orders or somehow Apple will be left with un-sold units. Apple is better off catching up to demand rather than over-producing. If there are unsold units it would hit them on two fronts, the media that would have a feild day with it and the investors who would look at the unsold units negatively.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Good glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way :)

See I was also thinking of some way that Apple could do this but it's really a tough nut to crack. I thought well what if they took pre-orders earlier so that they know the number of units ordered. Then they could produce it and everyone that pre-ordered would get it on launch day. So in other words instead of pre-orders on April 10th they would have done it in March giving them a month to produce all the units needed. The problem is that with that much time people might cancel their orders or somehow Apple will be left with un-sold units. Apple is better off catching up to demand rather than over-producing. If there are unsold units it would hit them on two fronts, the media that would have a feild day with it and the investors who would look at the unsold units negatively.

Yeah the getting up is the worst. I'd be really upset if I got up and wasn't getting the watch until June or later.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk

briankeith513

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Try-ons before the Pre-orders began, so customers can make better decisions about what to pre-order, and of course, have actual stock before pre-orders began

lv1

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Having to get up at 3:00AM EST is ludicrous. They should do it late evening EST, say 10PM and that would make it 7:00PM west coast. I am sure Apple is smart enough to figure out IT issues for the online store ordering. The inventory was grossly inadequate and are resulting in long delays in shipment dates. They should have options available for store pick up. It is more important with a new item such as this and lack of familiarity with it by the consumer. They should have had expedited delivery options available not just standard shipping.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I’m relatively happy with the whole process. I just wish they could put an end to people purchasing products to resell for a profit. It taints the whole experience for those people interested in the merchandise for themselves.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I hope the times get much shorter in June. That was my original plan to order in June when I'll have extra cash. Hopefully it will be 1-2 weeks. If not I'll just wait.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Having to get up at 3:00AM EST is ludicrous. They should do it late evening EST, say 10PM and that would make it 7:00PM west coast. I am sure Apple is smart enough to figure out IT issues for the online store ordering. The inventory was grossly inadequate and are resulting in long delays in shipment dates. They should have options available for store pick up. It is more important with a new item such as this and lack of familiarity with it by the consumer. They should have had expedited delivery options available not just standard shipping.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks the time needs to change. I was starting to think I was the only one.

I’m relatively happy with the whole process. I just wish they could put an end to people purchasing products to resell for a profit. It taints the whole experience for those people interested in the merchandise for themselves.
Somehow I think people will always be able to do this. I wont get into it because this is hotly debated in another thread.

I hope the times get much shorter in June. That was my original plan to order in June when I'll have extra cash. Hopefully it will be 1-2 weeks. If not I'll just wait.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
I think they should. They usually get everything together pretty fast after the initial slam on the units.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
It always happens and will continue to happen.

But as far as pre ordering process online, think it went smoothly for people.. In the matter of 6 minutes I think it said.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Unfortunately I don't think that will ever happen. Would just be too hard to enforce. It sucks, but it's a part of buying anything. There is always going to be someone who buys it simply to sell it to try and make a buck. Takes away from those who actually want the item and have to wait/can't get one because of those people.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I know what you mean. I received my confirmation e-mail at 3:02 a.m. and have the same ship date (sport with green band). However, I think we'll see them on the 24. :yes:

kjparfekt

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
More stock, better site capacity and a dedicated site for their launch product instead of the store so they don't have to worry about shutting down the store site and can do it at noon like their launch events.

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
There are always ways to improve things, however I think the real issue with pre-ordering is that the demand far exceeds the supply.

I mean, think about it. Estimates put the  Watch at a million pre-orders in the first day. For a brand new product, that most people haven't even got to use yet, that's insane!

I'm sure things will go smoother for the 2nd gen watch, but as long as demand exceeds supply, they'll always be these pre-order aches and pains.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Most likely yes you will see increase in demand. Little drastic that Apple Watch sold more in 6 min then Android sold in one year... But you never know what Apple is up to for the next Model.

golfgal

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, I sat at my MacBook like an ***** at 3:00 A.M. (EDT), waiting for the Apple website to go live for the preorders. Come to find out, while I was waiting all those precious minutes for that, many others were merrily ordering away via the Apple Store App (which I could have been doing!) When the website finally came up and I clicked on the watch I wanted, (SS 38mm with Milanese Loop), it said delivery April 24-May 8. However, when I received my order confirmation, it had been pushed back to May 13-27. I feel a bit cheated! So it looks like I got up in the middle of the night for naught. I am really quite disappointed with my preorder experience. All I can hope for now is for Apple to have under-promised and over-delivered. I sure hope I get it sooner than the confirmation says I will! :(

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
You don't know for sure if that's the correct date. if you have read up on recent news. Apple may have aimed high on dates, thus they may be moved up sooner.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Most likely yes you will see increase in demand. Little drastic that Apple Watch sold more in 6 min then Android sold in one year... But you never know what Apple is up to for the next Model.

shhhh don't say that all the Android trolls will descend on your comment. They will tell you how Apple hype is blown out of proportion and they will be returned and blah blah blah lol :D

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Everything is always based on the convenience of people in the Eastern Time Zone.

It is nice that for once it benefits us here on the West Coast over the Easterners. I think it is what it is because Apple is based out of California and it ends pretty much at that.