Anybody planning to buying at launch only to sell at a markup? Is that wrong?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Not going to repeat myself. Not really sure why anyone would bother to defend scalping.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

You don't even understand what the word actually means...and you assign it to things incorrectly because you have an agenda here to push your little entitled bratty attitude as the "right" opposing the "wrong". It's absolutely hilarious to me that you feel this way...that you generalize this to such an extreme, but you have such little understanding what you are actually representing.

Don't mind that at all. Just like if your partner got mad about preorder and you had to sell it, fine. The problem is buying it for profit.

Except that is NOT what you're sticking to...you're saying that anyone who sells a product for a profit after they've purchased it is "wrong". You go into such an opinion having no earthly idea why any other person buys a device, but you feel comfortable assigning such a label as "scalper" to any person who makes a profit on it (you admitted that by your own words here).

If I buy an Apple Watch, and decide that at the time, I'd rather have more money than the device itself...how on EARTH am I doing something wrong by selling it for more than I bought it for if people are willing to pay this? It's not scalping, it's basic economics...I'm supplying for a demand! It's really as simple as that...yet you keep throwing around this word "scalper/ing" as if it's even remotely relevant (which it is not)...you should educate yourself on the actual definition of the word, and then learn what basic supply and demand is in terms of making profit.

You might as well call it profiteering lol! It'd be no less ridiculous than what you're trying to argue calling it scalping.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't create a monopoly and gauge my customers. Same thing (in a vastly smaller scale) scalpers do when they grab a preorder and ebay it.

Again, you have no clue what you're even arguing here...how is this even REMOTELY a monopoly? People can still get the product for the normal retail cost, they just have to go through a waiting process. There's no scenario where the product is ONLY available from those who are selling them at increased cost...and people are not simply paying extra for the product alone...once again, people are paying for the product PLUS the convenience of not having to wait in line or stay up until 4am to pre-order or wait several weeks for back orders to fulfill. These are the conveniences the extra cost buys you...

How you assign the word "scalping" to this is beyond me...you might as well call it giraffe'ing, because calling it scalping makes about as much sense.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
You don't even understand what the word actually means...and you assign it to things incorrectly because you have an agenda here to push your little entitled bratty attitude as the "right" opposing the "wrong". It's absolutely hilarious to me that you feel this way...that you generalize this to such an extreme, but you have such little understanding what you are actually representing.

Except that is NOT what you're sticking to...you're saying that anyone who sells a product for a profit after they've purchased it is "wrong". You go into such an opinion having no earthly idea why any other person buys a device, but you feel comfortable assigning such a label as "scalper" to any person who makes a profit on it (you admitted that by your own words here).

If I buy an Apple Watch, and decide that at the time, I'd rather have more money than the device itself...how on EARTH am I doing something wrong by selling it for more than I bought it for if people are willing to pay this? It's not scalping, it's basic economics...I'm supplying for a demand! It's really as simple as that...yet you keep throwing around this word "scalper/ing" as if it's even remotely relevant (which it is not)...you should educate yourself on the actual definition of the word, and then learn what basic supply and demand is in terms of making profit.

You might as well call it profiteering lol! It'd be no less ridiculous than what you're trying to argue calling it scalping.

Come on Sean, how are you gonna argue with someone who is "scatterbrained" Lol

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Not going to bother with semantics. Ticketmaster creates a monopoly of sorts. As I said a single scalper uses the same scarcity to his advantage. Same principle on a much smaller scale.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Not going to bother with semantics. Ticketmaster creates a monopoly of sorts. As I said a single scalper uses the same scarcity to his advantage. Same principle on a much smaller scale.

You have zero argument here, that is why you're not going to bother...you have nothing legitimate to respond with. This isn't semantics, this is logic being introduced to an absolutely asinine argument that you made and now that you've been presented with a factual and strong opposition, you're giving up. I don't blame you...you should have never presented your side of the "debate" to begin with.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Then by your reasoning Apple is the monopoly here yet you continue to purchase their products. That's why I asked that question in my last quoted post to you.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Then by your reasoning Apple is the monopoly here yet you continue to purchase their products. That's why I asked that question in my last quoted post to you.

No no. They make and sell the product direct. Anyone else is taking advantage and creating shady markets.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No no. They make and sell the product direct. Anyone else is taking advantage and creating shady markets.

When I buy a product, it becomes my product...when I sell my product, I am selling it direct. Again, your argument makes zero sense. None.

And then you create these words like "shady markets"...what does that even mean? I guess the entirety of Barrett Jackson Auto Auctions is a "shady market" because people are selling cars for a profit in such a way...lol!

I mean in your world, those 1960's hotrods that only cost a few thousand bucks back in the 60's should be sold for what they cost back then, otherwise the person is scalping them, and partaking in a "shady market".

Forgive me for laughing my A$$ off at such logic.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
You have zero argument here, that is why you're not going to bother...you have nothing legitimate to respond with. This isn't semantics, this is logic being introduced to an absolutely asinine argument that you made and now that you've been presented with a factual and strong opposition, you're giving up. I don't blame you...you should have never presented your side of the "debate" to begin with.

My argument is simple and direct. No reason to over complicate it. My opinion is based on my own experiences. I think my examples illustrate how I see it well enough.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't create a monopoly and gauge my customers. Same thing (in a vastly smaller scale) scalpers do when they grab a preorder and ebay it.

The word is gouge. And the process that you are complaining about is actually the free market at work. Supply and demand. Nothing illegal, and, frankly, nothing immoral about it. And where is the monopoly? There are a plethora of "smart watches" on the market. Some good, some bad. But all can be had for the going rate.

View attachment 79986

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My argument is simple and direct. No reason to over complicate it. My opinion is based on my own experiences. I think my examples illustrate how I see it well enough.

I'm not over complicating anything, I'm offering pure and concise logic on the discussion...something that completely eludes your side of the fence here. You say it's based on your own experience...why not call it terrorism? I mean you're assigning your own meaning to words to support your argument, it wouldn't be too far fetched to do so would it?

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
The word is gouge. And the process that you are complaining about is actually the free market at work. Supply and demand. Nothing illegal, and, frankly, nothing immoral about it. And where is the monopoly? There are a plethora of "smart watches" on the market. Some good, some bad. But all can be had for the going rate.

View attachment 79986

Guess you missed my parenthetical saying I thought spelling was wrong. Again if thats all you have to come back with I must have scored. Lots of ways to exploit the free market. Doesn't make it right.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
By your own definition, then, places like Best Buy, B&H, and all other retailers would be "shady markets". Sorry, none of this even makes sense.

Wrong. Apple demands they sell at same price. Man this is too easy.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Wrong. Apple demands they sell at same price. Man this is too easy.

Bailing on a debate like you have clearly done usually is...but again, who can blame you when your argument is so weakly supported by non-sense and the random redefinition of words to fit your stance.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Guess you missed my parenthetical saying I thought spelling was wrong.

Just trying to educate.

Again if thats all you have to come back with I must have scored. Lots of ways to exploit the free market. Doesn't make it right.

So now you don't like free market economics? Again, working within the bounds of a free market is neither illegal nor immoral. It's also not for the lazy.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Bailing on a debate like you have clearly done usually is...but again, who can blame you when your argument is so weakly supported by non-sense and the random redefinition of words to fit your stance.

Who bailed? I just refuse to parse every rat hole. I am fine with my POV.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2