Pairing 1 Apple Watch to 2 iPhones

jvwong96

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I pre-ordered my Apple Watch at 3:00am EST on April 10 but one thing I can't find anywhere is if I can pair my new Apple Watch to 2 iPhones. I have a personal iPhone 6 and an iPhone 5s for work. It would be great if I could pair it to both phones at the same time instead of having to re-pair between the two (I don't have my work contacts or calendar on my personal phone so I can "disconnect" from work on weekends and during vacations). Has anyone who tested or reviewed the Watch come across this use case yet?

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
From the article by Serenity Caldwell:

Can you use an Apple Watch with multiple iPhones?

"Same as above. If you want to pair an Apple Watch with a different iPhone, you have to unpair the first, then pair again with the second."

mako nakor

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
More information is needed for this use case. If I unpair the watch, what information is deleted? Do all the apple pay cards need to be added again? If I pair my work phone in the morning is it realistic to pair my personal when I leave work?

Quackinup

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
From the iMore Apple Watch FAQ:

Right now you can only pair one iPhone with one Apple Watch. If you want to pair with a second Apple Watch, you need to unpair the first watch ? at which point a backup will be made to preserve its state ? and then pair again with the second watch.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Interesting as my FitBit I can pair with iPad and iPhone.

But I can understand with app integration why it can only pair with one iPhone at a time.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to assume this applies to any 2 devices, so those who want to use it with an iphone and an ipad are in the same boat. :)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Wow totally what I wouldn't have expected. I know in our car it is paired with both my iPhone and my wife's. When we are both in the car it connects to only one. There is an option to connect specifically to one of the two or if one person turns off their BT it will connect to the other. I would have assumed it would be something like that. As someone pointed out before the first iPhone didn't have copy/paste so we have to remind ourselves it is still a 1.0 device. I'd be interested to know if the existing smarwatches on the market can do this?

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Wow totally what I wouldn't have expected. I know in our car it is paired with both my iPhone and my wife's. When we are both in the car it connects to only one. There is an option to connect specifically to one of the two or if one person turns off their BT it will connect to the other. I would have assumed it would be something like that. As someone pointed out before the first iPhone didn't have copy/paste so we have to remind ourselves it is still a 1.0 device. I'd be interested to know if the existing smarwatches on the market can do this?

It's not unlike any other smartwatch I own they ALL have issues with multiple devices. I know in my parents car, there are slots for up to 5 devices to be connected and each is a discrete selection on the console. I BELIEVE this is how it works, it's not that the car is so much smarter, as it just has more more and capacity.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Glad to see this wasn't going to turn into a "I can't believe the Watch can't do this Android Wear can"

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Glad to see this wasn't going to turn into a "I can't believe the Watch can't do this Android Wear can"

Android Wear has MANY limitations! There is no perfect smartwatch! I like what I have seen so far from the Apple Watch. And I DO like my Moto360. I'm also REAL excited for the Pebble Time I kickstarted.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner