Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kch50428
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Elite

2,951 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Default Compatibility with other OS in the future?

So does anyone think Apple would add cross platform compatibility in the future? I mean I'm sure there are some out there who would love an apple watch with their (insert android/BB/WP) phones. I know Apple doesn't usually do that, but think it opens up the market for a lot more sales for Apple.
    iMore Genius

20,835 Posts
    Global Posts
    21,716 Global Posts

Default Re: Compatibility with other OS in the future?

Never say never... Just highly unlikely.
    Premium1 likes this.
    iMore Genius

7,265 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,332 Global Posts

If any I think Android would be the only one they would consider. Although it does open up the market Apple is not in control of the entire experience. Apple doesn't like that and rightfully so. If an Android device manufacturer decides to no longer support a function or to not support a new function who do users blame? If the experience is laggy because the OS isn't updated to smooth things out who do users blame? In each case the blame will be on Apple and the watch. Then there's the adoption of new OS versions on Android which is not the same as it is in iOS.
    iMore Intermediate

368 Posts

I'd seriously doubt Apple would ever open the Apple Watch to third party smartphones. As others have said, Apple wants to provide the best user experience it can. It achieves that by controlling the whole ecosystem. When something goes amiss, it's Apple's issue to fix. It can't do that if it doesn't control the whole hardware/software experience.

I've heard the rumor of Google working to create an iOS app that will connect with Android smart watches, to cash in on the iPhone's popularity, much as Pebble has an app running on iOS and Android for its watches. We'll see where that goes. No third party app is going to have access to all the iOS system services that Apple's watch will have.