Sport durability compared to other versions?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So since the sport doesn't have the sapphire screen like the other models, how do you think it will hold up to everyday use? I bang my Nike watch on things all the time (not trying) and have had it for about a year and has a few scratches on the screen. Not sure how the sport watch will hold up to similar use.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
My magic 8-ball says ask again tomorrow...

In other words, speculating on the unknowable is pointless IMO.

Last edited:

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I think the same will happen.

I accidentally bang my watch too. However its sapphire and it is still flawless after 5 years of "banging".

The problem with any watch is that the screen is always facing outwards and is vulnerable to dings and bangs. The quandary with sapphire is the added cost. Can you justify the added cost to an item that you will probably upgrade in a year? If you don't plan on upgrading next year then definitely get the sapphire crystal.

I will probably upgrade the SS model I ordered if next years SS version is compelling enough. I figure, no ... I know, that the crystal on the SS will be perfect. I can't say that for the Sport model based on my experience with non sapphire watches.

I am thinking that the SS model will hold more value than the Sport model when it comes time to sell it because it has a excellent chance of having a "perfect" crystal as opposed to the Sport. Then I will do what I have done in the past to get a new iPhone every year, and use the funds from the sold one to defray from the cost of the new one.

Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong. :)

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
That's why I am going to do the apple care- personally I would rather have the watch be lighter to wear. That's just me.

Sent from my Gold iPad Air using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As I've stated before, I wear a watch everyday and all of the ones I wear still look new, excluding the bands, so I don't foresee an issue in that regard with the Watch. You can always put a screen protector and a case over it. I'm not going to, but the option is there for those who may want to.

mtlscream

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering the same... but on all my past iPhones and iPad, I never had a scratch at all... So I'm not too worry about the scratch on my new Sport version.

But for the first time, I did take the Apple Care+ since the watch is more at risk... but I took it mainly so It might help to sell it back with the future generation.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I was also going to say Applecare. I have a Guess watch that is sitting in a drawer with a cracked screen. It's the second time too. This time it slipped out of my hand while vacationing in Europe. The floor must have been tough a$$ tile because the drop didn't seem so hard. Yet when I picked it up the screen was toast :(

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Every watch I have ever owned, and some were not exactly cheap, has ended up with a scratched screen--not from dropping, either.

So, like other people have commented, I'll be getting AppleCare+.

kjparfekt

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's just me but I don't see Apple Care as a solution. $49 on a $349 or $399 device is a more than 20% premium plus $69 service fee for each claim. So if you end up with a tiny scratch you will have paid $118 to get it fixed, obviously much less than the cost of a new watch but a lot compared to the cost of the device. I would likely live with the scratch and spend my money on a gen 2 Apple Watch.

If scratching is the only concern and you don't mind the weight difference you might as well spend the extra money at the start and get the sapphire glass version. Something to think about.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Maybe it's just me but I don't see Apple Care as a solution. $49 on a $349 or $399 device is a more than 20% premium plus $69 service fee for each claim. So if you end up with a tiny scratch you will have paid $118 to get it fixed, obviously much less than the cost of a new watch but a lot compared to the cost of the device. I would likely live with the scratch and spend my money on a gen 2 Apple Watch.

If scratching is the only concern and you don't mind the weight difference you might as well spend the extra money at the start and get the sapphire glass version. Something to think about.

AppleCare is not a solution it's insurance. It is not any different to me from car insurance. Calculate how much insurance you've paid in all the time you've been driving. Yet if your car gets keyed you still have to pay a deductible regardless of the thousands of dollars you've paid so far.

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
So since the sport doesn't have the sapphire screen like the other models, how do you think it will hold up to everyday use? I bang my Nike watch on things all the time (not trying) and have had it for about a year and has a few scratches on the screen. Not sure how the sport watch will hold up to similar use.

I don't think I will keep this first watch long enough to find out. I really want the stainless steel version, but I went ahead and pre-ordered the silver aluminum white sport band version. I will spend more money for the Apple Watch 2 with improved features and functionality. :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm not concerned about the screen. I never damaged a watch screen before. And I'm 62. Been around the block a few times with a watch on. I think I had a Timex a long time ago that got a couple of minor scratches. 50 years ago.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to grab apple care + after mine is delivered that way I can use my watch relatively care free. Why worry about it

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Well my daily driver watch is beaten all to hell. Scratched, chipped and I've lost the bezel round the edge (somehow). I will be getting AppleCare if I get one, and perhaps a screen protector.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Well my daily driver watch is beaten all to hell. Scratched, chipped and I've lost the bezel round the edge (somehow). I will be getting AppleCare if I get one, and perhaps a screen protector.
You're just a rough and tough kind of guy! LOL I had a Timex 50 years ago that got a little beat up. But I was 12 then.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
If you workout with kettle bells you might not want to wear the watch while working out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR