Sport durability compared to other versions?

cornettbr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
iMoreAppImg_20150415_150253.jpg I've had this watch for a few years and this thing is scratched up. Granted I have a hard job now and worked with this on while repairing stuff while I was in the navy. I think the scratches add some character. That being said I'm getting a screen protector for the apple watch. Maybe a bumper while at work to protect the black sport anodization from getting scratched.

Rainwater50

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Check out this thread.

How well does the Apple Watch screen resist scratches? - iPhone, iPad, iPod Forums at iMore.com

There's a link in there for a stress test on the sapphire crystal screen. If the ion-x screen on the sport is supposedly more tough, then I think its durability will be excellent.

The ion -x screen on the isn't as strong or durable as the sapphire screen. That's one of the reasons the sapphire screen is included with the more expensive watches.

ChaosShadow

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The ion -x screen on the isn't as strong or durable as the sapphire screen. That's one of the reasons the sapphire screen is included with the more expensive watches.

Interesting... I can't remember where I read it, but I saw something about the ion-x glass being stronger. Wow... I'm a bit perturbed by that. I mean, if the watch is marketed as "sport" I would think it would be the most durable model.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Interesting... I can't remember where I read it, but I saw something about the ion-x glass being stronger. Wow... I'm a bit perturbed by that. I mean, if the watch is marketed as "sport" I would think it would be the most durable model.

Yeah for the price it should have the more durable screen. I mean like you said they are calling it "sport"

Rainwater50

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
The sports version is lighter, and comes with bands that can handle sweat, etc.

But because the sapphire is more expensive & higher quality, they were reserved for the other tow versions.

I think the ion x will still be strong, but just not as strong as sapphire.

cornettbr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The sports version is lighter, and comes with bands that can handle sweat, etc.

But because the sapphire is more expensive & higher quality, they were reserved for the other tow versions.

I think the ion x will still be strong, but just not as strong as sapphire.

I believe I read somewhere that the ion-x glass is more shatter resistant than the sapphire. I'd imagine that would come in handy to people like me who are always banging their watches on stuff working/playing/exercising.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes but sport is more rough and physical compared to other "lifestyles"

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk

One would think! But Apple is selling style. Thus the kinky colored bands for the Sport model. And by "Sport", they're probably referring to runners, and working out in gyms, rather than rugged work situations.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Sport is just a name/style I don't believe it denotes durability.
Ford makes a Explorer Sport that's 43k and a Explorer Limited that's 38k. One would think the limited would be the higher price because limited sounds exclusive.
I doubt the Sport would survive a crash into a wall any more than the Limited.
As far as the  Watches Sport can be looked at being more casual than the Watch and Edition and not necessarily more durable. It's just a name don't get caught up in it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
One would think! But Apple is selling style. Thus the kinky colored bands for the Sport model. And by "Sport", they're probably referring to runners, and working out in gyms, rather than rugged work situations.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Even so, those are a little more demanding on the watch then if you are just wearing it for business or luxury. Guess only time will tell if they are more durable and hold up to the everyday bumps and nicks.