Does the heart rate monitor work for black people or other dark brown skinned people?

tmadsen

May 28, 2009
Visit site
Pulse oximeters read through the fingernail, which is why you can't be wearing nail polish for them to accurately read your O2 saturation and pulse.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
According to Apple's website there are other factors can affect a accurate reading or getting a reading at all.
A person may have to use the monitor as just a gauge.
I'm sure there will be testing on this by someone once the watch has been out for a while and it can be tested with various skin colors.
There will also be comparisons with other devices that measure heart rate. At this point it's all speculation until someone does some A+B testing.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Where have you found information saying it uses infrared? I've been assuming that the Apple Watch is a photoplethysmogram, which uses LEDs to illuminate in the visible light spectrum.

Photoplethysmogram - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've not been able to find any discussion around whether skin color affects accuracy of such devices, but given that they're used in hospitals (those finger-clip HR monitors), I'm going to be pretty confident that they work fine. Would love to hear more though.
I got that from this verge article which says it uses a combination of visible light and infrared. I assume this is accurate. http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/9/6126991/apple-watch-four-back-sensors-detect-activity

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Why wouldn't it?
The Apple watch uses both green light and infrared to see the blood inside your skin. I'm wondering if melanin in the skin (i.e. dark skin) would obscure the light passing through the skin.

It seems like a perfectly reasonable question to me. And I've tried to ask it as seriously and scientifically as I can. But apparently some people's think I'm being unreasonable or just trolling. :) smh

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Nope. I use the Fitbit charge and it uses the same rate system. Green LED that flicker and the sensor reads skin regardless of skin color. Pulse Ox works the same way on the finger tip

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Nope. I use the Fitbit charge and it uses the same rate system. Green LED that flicker and the sensor reads skin regardless of skin color. Pulse Ox works the same way on the finger tip

Finger tip pulse ox gives me no comfort because finger tips are not brown. But I'm glad to hear that the Fitbit Charge works. That makes me feel better. :)

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Here is some info directly from Apple on the heart rate monitor: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204666
This was a good find; well done.

I can't wait to get an Apple Watch and compare its accuracy to the Mio and chest-mounted designs.

And interesting to see that practically, if you have darker coloured skin, the bottom line is, your battery drains faster. But I'm guessing, better that than get crap readings.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
This was a good find; well done.

I can't wait to get an Apple Watch and compare its accuracy to the Mio and chest-mounted designs.

And interesting to see that practically, if you have darker coloured skin, the bottom line is, your battery drains faster. But I'm guessing, better that than get crap readings.

Does this mean the technology is racist?!?!?!

#joking please don't have a fit. LOL

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73