No sleep tracking! Really?!?! What about 3rd party apps?

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't want to wear a watch to bed, but that is just me.

Does overnight heart rate give an indication of overall health? I'm curious.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Apple makes it very clear on their website what the watch does. What it does it interesting to me and introducing it into my communication stream.
I know what it does based on what Apple has presented and what it doesn't do based on the same criteria.
I looked at the features it has currently and asked the question is this something I can use? Yes or No.
If sleep tracking is important to a buyer and the product doesn't offer that and another product does get the product that has what you want.
What about all the other features the Apple Watch has. If those features aren't attractive or seen as useful again don't buy it.
I'm not going to complain about a product I don't own. I'm going to make a informed decision and buy it or not buy it.
If in its current form it's disappointing why be bothered.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Seriously. How uncomfortable, I have never once considered wearing my pebble to sleep. If you want to track sleep and have a silent alarm pick up a jawbone up. They aren't that expensive anymore.

kjparfekt

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm concerned Hank you won't be able to track your golf and naps on one charge. #oldage. I'm half kidding. Using the golf gps app on my pebble during a round uses battery quick figuring I checked distance about 45 times in a round.

With that note I'm out of this thread. OP if you want to chat hit me with a pm.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I personally find it uncomfortable wearing my jawbone up 24 while I slept, let alone a watch.

Who sleeps with a watch on???

I wouldn't want to wear a watch to bed, but that is just me.

Does overnight heart rate give an indication of overall health? I'm curious.

Seriously. How uncomfortable, I have never once considered wearing my pebble to sleep. If you want to track sleep and have a silent alarm pick up a jawbone up. They aren't that expensive anymore.
I thought the same thing, but I quickly adjusted.

I was using an app to track my sleep that required me to put my phone on the mattress next to me, and used the accelerometer to track movement, but unfortunately it tracked mattress movement not necessarily my movement (i.e. my wife's movement also). The app is compatible with Pebble, so when I got a Pebble I started using that to be more accurate. I thought sleeping with a watch was weird, but I quickly adjusted.

I have a sleep disorder, so sleep tracking is important to me.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm concerned Hank you won't be able to track your golf and naps on one charge. #oldage. I'm half kidding. Using the golf gps app on my pebble during a round uses battery quick figuring I checked distance about 45 times in a round.

Don't let disagreements run you off. :(

lowlifeplayer

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I agree that posts stating any version of "just do not buy it" add very little value to the conversation. The OP is well aware that it is not a requirement to purchase the watch.

That being said, I agree with the OP in that sleep tracking is an important function of health. It is disappointing that it was not included in the watch. I currently utilize a vivosmart for workout and sleep tracking, and have adjusted my sleep behavior because of the data it records. I would be more than willing to charge the watch prior to going to sleep in order to receive that data, but the option is not available. What this demonstrates is that battery limitations have resulted in functionality limitations. I would give up some other functionalities such as the odd app selection screen, the "side button" (presumably it can be a little more battery space) for the sleep function, and even "some" apps that poll the phone (if it kills battery).

My hopes are that Apple continues to refine this version as they most certainly will do so that the batter life can support sleep. Which phone apps are you guys and gals using to track your sleep? How accurate would you say they are? When I wake up and feel less than refreshed my Garmin data matches what I feel.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The Watch can't be every sensor for every need... Maybe there will soon be a 3rd party sensor to go with a watch app for sleep monitoring? We don't know about everything that's coming... Be patient.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Way to roll. Throw a jab and then disappear into woodwork.

Imaging how dull this place (and the world) would be if everyone agreed about everything all the time.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I agree that posts stating any version of "just do not buy it" add very little value to the conversation. The OP is well aware that it is not a requirement to purchase the watch.

That being said, I agree with the OP in that sleep tracking is an important function of health. It is disappointing that it was not included in the watch. I currently utilize a vivosmart for workout and sleep tracking, and have adjusted my sleep behavior because of the data it records. I would be more than willing to charge the watch prior to going to sleep in order to receive that data, but the option is not available. What this demonstrates is that battery limitations have resulted in functionality limitations. I would give up some other functionalities such as the odd app selection screen, the "side button" (presumably it can be a little more battery space) for the sleep function, and even "some" apps that poll the phone (if it kills battery).

My hopes are that Apple continues to refine this version as they most certainly will do so that the batter life can support sleep. Which phone apps are you guys and gals using to track your sleep? How accurate would you say they are? When I wake up and feel less than refreshed my Garmin data matches what I feel.

I fully understand that you want a sleep tracking function in the Apple watch. But in the present iteration, it is not there. I submit that suggesting that the OP just "not buy it" is sound advice.

Suggesting that someone NOT buy a product that doesn't meet the needs of the purchaser is more correct than just saying "buy it and complain". Knowing that a necessary (to you) feature was omitted from the design, but buying the product anyway just make no sense at any price - but even more so for a device with a price tag between $350 and $17K.

lowlifeplayer

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I fully understand that you want a sleep tracking function in the Apple watch. But in the present iteration, it is not there. I submit that suggesting that the OP just "not buy it" is sound advice.

Suggesting that someone NOT buy a product that doesn't meet the needs of the purchaser is more correct than just saying "buy it and complain". Knowing that a necessary (to you) feature was omitted from the design, but buying the product anyway just make no sense at any price - but even more so for a device with a price tag between $350 and $17K.

Totally agree that if the product does not fit, do not buy it. My position is that making a comment of "just do not buy it" does not add to the discussion. The OP is already aware that he or she has that option, and does not really need to be told not to make a purchase, nor did he or she ask "should I buy it". I counted at least three valid questions posed by the OP, none of which have been addressed. Heck I did not even address them completely. Here goes my best answers.

• Yes, the watch does not support sleep tracking at the moment
  • There are 3rd party apps that use the phone to track sleep. I asked which are the best with no response.
  • It probably is a compromise for battery life.
  • It does appear as if all the required sensors are in the watch. I do not know 100%

Please, I do not want anyone to view this as a passive aggressive post. It just gets old when a question or challenge to Apple's paradigm is posed and answers suggest you should just deal with it or keep moving. If Apple does not hear the roar of the crowd, things will never improve. I remember when I was on the IPad forum as one of the first 50-100 purchasers of the first IPad and people made comments about how a camera on an IPad was useless. I remember being flayed for suggesting it would be a great feature. On the side note I still have the original AT&T's unlimited 29.99 data plan on my wife's IPad :)

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Totally agree that if the product does not fit, do not buy it. My position is that making a comment of "just do not buy it" does not add to the discussion. The OP is already aware that he or she has that option, and does not really need to be told not to make a purchase, nor did he or she ask "should I buy it". I counted at least three valid questions posed by the OP, none of which have been addressed. Heck I did not even address them completely. Here goes my best answers.

• Yes, the watch does not support sleep tracking at the moment
  • There are 3rd party apps that use the phone to track sleep. I asked which are the best with no response.
  • It probably is a compromise for battery life.
  • It does appear as if all the required sensors are in the watch. I do not know 100%

Please, I do not want anyone to view this as a passive aggressive post. It just gets old when a question or challenge to Apple's paradigm is posed and answers suggest you should just deal with it or keep moving. If Apple does not hear the roar of the crowd, things will never improve. I remember when I was on the IPad forum as one of the first 50-100 purchasers of the first IPad and people made comments about how a camera on an IPad was useless. I remember being flayed for suggesting it would be a great feature. On the side note I still have the original AT&T's unlimited 29.99 data plan on my wife's IPad :)
Thanks to you and to everyone for the responses. I guess my biggest remaining question is, Will Apple allow 3rd party sleep tracking apps for the Apple Watch specifically? Or do you think they won't approve them because of the battery complaint that could arise?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

While I understand, to a point, your comment, the fact remains that anyone only has those two options: buy it and live with the perceived shortcomings or buy something else. It really is a simple, albeit binary, choice.

If Apple does indeed "hear the roar of the crowd", those who purchased generation 1 are still stuck, as the root cause appears to be at least partly battery life.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1.

lowlifeplayer

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
While I understand, to a point, your comment, the fact remains that anyone only has those two options: buy it and live with the perceived shortcomings or buy something else. It really is a simple, albeit binary, choice.

If Apple does indeed "hear the roar of the crowd", those who purchased generation 1 are still stuck, as the root cause appears to be at least partly battery life.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1.

It feels like this is a high jack of the OP's thread, and I am a participant. I am not sure if my point is clearly being expressed based up your response. I am not debating that there are two choices in front of every consumer, essentially, to buy or not to buy (we all know that those are options). What I am discussing is a person going on an internet thread in the hopes of gleaning information. The OP did not ask should he buy or not. He asked a sundry of questions and shared a frustration regarding the missing sleep tracking functionality. The responses did not address his questions or expand his knowledge in anyway.

Being stuck with a generation 1 product has no bearing in this situation because the watch was purchased knowing what it can and cannot do. If someone bought the watch and complained about a missing function, that would be silly on their part. If someone bought the watch and complains that the generation 2 is better, that would be a double dose of silly.

To answer the OP's most recent post.

I sure hope they will allow 3rd party apps. During the keynote they shared that they had 1000 apps seeking approval, maybe one of these uses the current sensors to track sleep. I also read that the sensors available on the IPhone are also on the watch, minus gps, which is why it is able to function with out the phone. I theorize that if the phone can track sleep with its current sensors so can the watch.

Will they allow an app that drains battery, or causes a concern for battery life, or battery complaints? I do not think a sleep tracker should cause significant battery life. I always understood that the screen and the radios are the main culprits in draining a battery. I believe (zero foundation) that Apple did not include the sleep tracker because the watch is listed for 18 hours. If they added that option I personally would complain "How can it track sleep if it dies, blah blah blah"?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
It feels like this is a high jack of the OP's thread, and I am a participant. I am not sure if my point is clearly being expressed based up your response. I am not debating that there are two choices in front of every consumer, essentially, to buy or not to buy (we all know that those are options). What I am discussing is a person going on an internet thread in the hopes of gleaning information. The OP did not ask should he buy or not. He asked a sundry of questions and shared a frustration regarding the missing sleep tracking functionality. The responses did not address his questions or expand his knowledge in anyway.

Being stuck with a generation 1 product has no bearing in this situation because the watch was purchased knowing what it can and cannot do. If someone bought the watch and complained about a missing function, that would be silly on their part. If someone bought the watch and complains that the generation 2 is better, that would be a double dose of silly.

To answer the OP's most recent post.

I sure hope they will allow 3rd party apps. During the keynote they shared that they had 1000 apps seeking approval, maybe one of these uses the current sensors to track sleep. I also read that the sensors available on the IPhone are also on the watch, minus gps, which is why it is able to function with out the phone. I theorize that if the phone can track sleep with its current sensors so can the watch.

Will they allow an app that drains battery, or causes a concern for battery life, or battery complaints? I do not think a sleep tracker should cause significant battery life. I always understood that the screen and the radios are the main culprits in draining a battery. I believe (zero foundation) that Apple did not include the sleep tracker because the watch is listed for 18 hours. If they added that option I personally would complain "How can it track sleep if it dies, blah blah blah"?
I appreciate the consideration of those trying to keep this post on topic and answer my original question. But I also appreciate the other replies too and the ensuing discussion has been very interesting to me. Thanks everybody for their input.

On the original topic, I do hope that Apple allows third-party developers to create sleep tracking apps.

mtlscream

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Me too, I'm a little sad about that feature not there... but for battery purposes, I understand. And remember for your iPhone, if u use the sleep tracking app, they ask you to keep your iPhone plug in a power outlet.... so

I'm sure we will see this feature as soon as Apple will be able to put a battery that could take it and last at least 2 days.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I have a Fitbit that tracks sleep. I used it once. It is not important to me but to some it is. Just because the current generation doesn't have it don't think or say it never will. I do agree with the statement of if sleep tracking is important don't buy it. The statement doesn't mean we're saying don't ever buy one. It simply means this is the first gen and that function is not supported. If it is supported later or through a third party app then buy then.
On a side note I loved all the people saying what the OP knows and meant lol. How bout we let them chime into the convo instead of speaking for them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice