'Standalone' Apple Watch?

SpookDroid

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought the idea of the Gear S, a watch that can pair to your phone but can also be just that, a phone, was crazy. But then I saw one in action, and it's not so crazy after all if you're on the move and don't want to do 'too much' on the little screen.

Would a SIM-enabled Apple Watch entice you? It'd probably be bigger than it already is, but that would mean no phone or iDevice to be tied to, and that might just be enough to make it appealing, for instance if you don't want to carry your phone around but still want to take a call or send a message while jogging.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It's being reported that the Watch, when on a known wifi connection will have some autonomous functions available - several reviewers have picked up on this...

SpookDroid

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oooh, nice! That's one thing I do like about iMessage: it's ubiquitous (as long as you're in an Apple device, of course). But that wouldn't be too good while jogging outside, but still better than nothing I guess.

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Heh. I was just about to start a thread on the same topic. Anyway, I use the phone too much, so not really interested, but perhaps those that use their phone more sparingly would find this interesting.

SpookDroid

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I also use the phone a lot... but started to notice how big it is to carry around comfortably when working out (not that I do that a lot haha), and thought: wow! this would be a PITA to carry around when jogging! Yeah, I can listen to music with just the watch, but what if I trip and break my leg? What if I forgot to turn off the stove? What if I need to just remind my boss that I forgot it was Friday and thought it was Saturday and that I'll be running a bit late?

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I also use the phone a lot... but started to notice how big it is to carry around comfortably when working out (not that I do that a lot haha), and thought: wow! this would be a PITA to carry around when jogging! Yeah, I can listen to music with just the watch, but what if I trip and break my leg? What if I forgot to turn off the stove? What if I need to just remind my boss that I forgot it was Friday and thought it was Saturday and that I'll be running a bit late?

There is definitely an advantage to having a standalone capable watch. But besides from the added watch cost, you would also have to pay more per month for wireless service, and on my current plan with Verizon, I would have to pay $40 per month more. Granted, Verizon does allow the Gear S on the More Everything Plan for $5, but I use a lot of data, so I am not giving up my unlimited data plan.

SpookDroid

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm... you're right. I hadn't considered the cost of an extra SIM. Carriers should allow a companion SIM or something hehe Same number, same plan, just the added watch

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2