How much water contact will you be subjecting the Apple watch to?

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
The Apple watch is IP7X which means submerged for 1M for 30 minutes, but personally, I will not be using it in the shower or even wading in a pool. Probably the most that I would subject the watch to would be washing hands or rain.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The Apple watch is IP7X which means submerged for 1M for 30 minutes, but personally, I will not be using it in the shower or even wading in a pool. Probably the most that I would subject the watch to would be washing hands or rain.

I'm the same as you. I've had Lifeproof cases on my iPhones but never for the waterproof aspect but more for the impact resistance. I just think showering in it is kind of silly but then I never did that with watches either.

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm the same as you. I've had Lifeproof cases on my iPhones but never for the waterproof aspect but more for the impact resistance. I just think showering in it is kind of silly but then I never did that with watches either.

I think so too. The bigger concern for me is swimming. Say you are at a party at someone's house with a pool...Sometimes there are impromptu swims, and you might forget to take off the watch, especially if you are not quite sober...theoretically speaking of course. ;)

SpookDroid

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hehehe I was just asking that :p For me it's how much I want to take it swimming, because I like having a watch on me all the time.

But my current one, for instance, though it can stand the submersion for a little while, I don't take it to the pool. I've forgotten to take it off in the jacuzzi or when taking a dive in the pool a couple times and it survives, but I really want to be able to NEVER take it off, even if I'm showering or in the pool.

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Hehehe I was just asking that :p For me it's how much I want to take it swimming, because I like having a watch on me all the time.

But my current one, for instance, though it can stand the submersion for a little while, I don't take it to the pool. I've forgotten to take it off in the jacuzzi or when taking a dive in the pool a couple times and it survives, but I really want to be able to NEVER take it off, even if I'm showering or in the pool.

I think the issue too is submersion is different than active pressure. So while it can stand 1m, if you are swimming or other water activitites, then there will be more pressure on the watch.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think so too. The bigger concern for me is swimming. Say you are at a party at someone's house with a pool...Sometimes there are impromptu swims, and you might forget to take off the watch, especially if you are not quite sober...theoretically speaking of course. ;)

Applecare+ is calling your name lol

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
The same amount as my phone comes into contact. I hardly trust anything waterproof or resistant. Anything could still go wrong.

Tapatalk'n On The IPhone 6 Plus 

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
if i get caught in the rain or it it get spalashed while washing my hands that is it for me i dont shower with a watch on and dont swim with one so i dont plan to do that with this one.

kjparfekt

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I shower with my Pebble and have gotten to the pool at a hotel having forgotten to take my fuel band off. At that point you don't to go back to the room and you don't want someone to steal you watch on a chair so you're stuck hiding it in a hat. Same thing with the beach if you forget to leave it in the car.

If I was still living at the beach I would have had to keep my pebble as a back up smart watch because I see lack of serious water proofing to be an issue with a health/activity tracking device. Plus being at the beach I'd love to keep my phone in a bag and rely on my watch to see if I actually want to take my phone out to answer a call or respond to a message.

Oh well.. Gen 2 maybe.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

There comes a point when people have to be responsible and not depend on a company to make a product water proof in the event of a drunken swim at a pool party.
Apple should put a air bag in the watch for the drunken drive home.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The waterproofness is one of the many reasons I am going to wait and not get one now. I have been using a Vivoactive for a few weeks and not having to take it off in the shower and being able to swim with it is a huge PLUS.

I am sure the Apple Watch will be ok for some splashing and washing hands etc, but I would not totally submerge it.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
None. not going to risk something happening and then being forced to pay for costly repairs even if they claim it can handle some water.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2