Cross platform

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Although I agree with Karenkcoulter I wish it weren't so. I thought about this just the other day and although I understand both sides of the story. I think making the Watch work with Android would have increased it's success. I understand that making it work with Android would possibly increase the work needed to put out the final product. Then Apple would be beholden to Android's support of whatever new features which is something Apple doesn't like. In other words if Google decided that they didn't want to support the Watch any longer users would blame Apple not Google. If Apple updated something and it required an update on Google's part which wasn't happening users would again blame Apple. However there are users who are on Android and there is no way they are going to switch to an iPhone to use the Watch. The watch will be a big enough hit without those users and that is why my guess is it will only work on iOS but those are potential users of the watch. If the plan for another year or two is that the Watch becomes independent of the iPhone then the extra work is not even worth it.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Both Apple and Google (and Samsung most of all) realize that making a watch that only works on their platform helps to lock you in to that platform, and helps them with future sales. What motivation does Apple have to make the Apple Watch work on Android (or Windows or BlackBerry). Answer NONE! Yea in the short run they might get a few more watch sales but in the long run they are much more motivated to keep you buying Apple. Or Samsung, or Android, etc.

Fortunately we have 3rd party companies making watches also such as Pebble and Martian, so that those of us who are platform agnostic can gave our cake and eat it too, when we constantly change phones. ;)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner