Good enough to make you switch to iOS?

SpookDroid

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Smartwatches are only starting to get off the ground, and in all honesty, it's not all that awesome. Not enough to make me want to switch to a specific platform just for the watch.

But this being an Apple product, it's bound to be very tightly integrated with other Apple products, keeping the iOS family close. With the features that it touts, the looks (which, to be honest, I don't find all that great), the build, etc. Would the Apple Watch make you want to switch to iOS if you don't have an iPhone?

I'd have to try it out first, obviously, but so far from what I've seen, it's just not there yet.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Nope. I prefer to have the freedom and choice that being locked into Apple doesn't give you. There are three Apple devices in my house and they all work great and do what I (or the main users) want them to do, but I also have Blackberry and Android devices in the house. All three platforms are used daily and I appreciate different things about each. I will never be locked into one platform, ios or any other.

SpookDroid

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But wouldn't it be awesome if a company can do that? If a device comes out saying 'this, you won't find anywhere else but here!' and makes people want to/have to switch?

I mean, iMessage is still a very good selling point for iPhones, and it's just ONE feature. When the iPhone came out you HAD to have it because there was nothing else like it. When the iPod touch came out, same thing.

I don't think watches are at that stage yet, and I wouldn't switch OS's just for an accessory like that, but for many, the S-Pen was more than enough to warrant the jump to iOS to Android for some when the Note tablet line came out. Now that the Surface Pro also has Wacom-powered input, the fact that it runs Windows is enough to make people jump to that. Not a revolution, obviously, but a nice feature that has the potential to make you want to switch.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I want to get the Watch even though I currently own a Gear S, simply because as a tech enthusiast, I find smartwatches intriguing. Apple has had a history of making great products that are stunning looking, so I am dying to try theirs out at the store first.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I would agree that few people would consider switching to iOS just for the Watch, but of those who end up getting it, some will definitely switch to iOS.

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I would agree that few people would consider switching to iOS just for the Watch, but of those who end up getting it, some will definitely switch to iOS.

What am I missing here? Why would someone buy an Apple Watch but not already use an iPhone? The Apple Watch isn't compatible with anything else.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What am I missing here?
You're not missing anything.
Why would someone buy an Apple Watch but not already use an iPhone?
Believe it or not, there are going to be people who will buy the Watch just because they can and there will be some who will buy it because they want to be among the first to get it. Finally, we can't discount those who do not have a clue of it's dependence on the iPhone prior to buying it.
The Apple Watch isn't compatible with anything else.
Yeah, but wait a few weeks. You'll see threads about people not being able to do the things they thought they'd be able to do with the Watch and we'll have to explain to them that it works in conjunction with an iPhone....;)

mountainman

May 9, 2011
Visit site
....You'll see threads about people not being able to do the things they thought they'd be able to do with the Watch and we'll have to explain to them that it works in conjunction with an iPhone....;)

Chances of these threads popping up on iMore = 100% LOL

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
You're not missing anything. Believe it or not, there are going to be people who will buy the Watch just because they can and there will be some who will buy it because they want to be among the first to get it. Finally, we can't discount those who do not have a clue of it's dependence on the iPhone prior to buying it.
Yeah, but wait a few weeks. You'll see threads about people not being able to do the things they thought they'd be able to do with the Watch and we'll have to explain to them that it works in conjunction with an iPhone....;)
Ha, well I hope Apple sale reps would educate consumers during the 15 minute appointment before taking their money. 😁

Last edited:

Kierkegaard

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Well, yes and no. I didn't have a smartphone before this. I had to buy a used IPhone 5 in order to get the watch. I'm a professional developer (Java is my long suit) so you would think Android would be a natural choice. But after my experience with the Raspberry Pi, I realized I didn't enjoy re-inventing the wheel in my spare time. Odds are, I won't really program on the phone I buy. So why not get the sleekest hardware and unbeatable user interface? I got a good deal on [redacted] for the iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpookDroid

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What am I missing here? Why would someone buy an Apple Watch but not already use an iPhone? The Apple Watch isn't compatible with anything else.

That's my point... will this be enough to make someone who doesn't own an iPhone want to get one just to get the watch. I know people who switched to the Note line just because of the S-Pen, or to a BlackBerry (yeah, not recently hahaha) just because way back when BBM was the 'it' thing to be on.

And like someone else said, there are people who just buy stuff because they can. I've seen posts of people asking why their new Moto360 won't pair with their iPhone 6...

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Not switching for a Gen 1 product. Maybe Gen 2/3 will be so awesome it will make people switch, but at the moment, no.

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
That's my point... will this be enough to make someone who doesn't own an iPhone want to get one just to get the watch. I know people who switched to the Note line just because of the S-Pen, or to a BlackBerry (yeah, not recently hahaha) just because way back when BBM was the 'it' thing to be on.

And like someone else said, there are people who just buy stuff because they can. I've seen posts of people asking why their new Moto360 won't pair with their iPhone 6...

Even though I don't have any plans to switch, I think it really depends on how much I like it. I already had the Gear 2 and wasn't planning on going Android Wear, but saw the G Watch on sale for $80 with $50 Google play credit on top of that, so i figured that I would give it a try and worse case, I can sell it without losing money. I ended up really liking the G Watch and have been using it a few months now. The Gear 2 is sitting in the closet.

Zachary Neyhart

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Being that I am a firm iOS user, I would have to say from my view I wouldn't switch to Android because of any of the watches they have now. I think the only thing that could would be iMessage on Android, a good back up system, like iCloud (No root), use of lighting cable, and many other reasons I have loved on my iPhone 5s, vs my old Galaxy S4, and HTC One

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Apple is enhancing its ecosystem with the Apple Watch specifically for its customers. Most people who use Android devices probably do so for one of several reasons: (1) they like the wide open world of the Android environment where anyone can basically install anything they want on their devices, configuring it to their delight, (2) they've bought into the idea that all things Apple are irrationally expensive, and don't bother to check out the details, or (3) they have a bias against Apple for some other reason. That means to me that the only people who will be open to switching to the Apple ecosystem for any reason are those who have started using Android devices agnostically, and are starting to become annoyed by Android's caveats. You can install anything, but that also means you can get suckered into installing stuff that takes advantage of you. Once you realize that, you may look to other options. On Apple's side, it's a curated world. You don't have the flexibility of Android, but you do have an ecosystem that's been developed to protect you as much as it can, while providing you world class functionality with minimal efforts on your behalf to use it. That also means you have to accept Apple's design decisions with their products, both on the software and hardware sides. Some people find that confining, and avoid it. Others find that comforting, and embrace it.

So, in short, the only people who are likely to switch over to Apple's ecosystem for any reason, are those who can comfortably accept that ethos. I wouldn't expect the Apple Watch to materially affect that decision. It's just one more feature of the Apple ecosystem for those who have willingly bought into Apple's culture.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Nope. I prefer to have the freedom and choice that being locked into Apple doesn't give you. There are three Apple devices in my house and they all work great and do what I (or the main users) want them to do, but I also have Blackberry and Android devices in the house. All three platforms are used daily and I appreciate different things about each. I will never be locked into one platform, ios or any other.

But you're locked into the Android and Blackberry ecosystem with each one, right?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Apple is enhancing its ecosystem with the Apple Watch specifically for its customers. Most people who use Android devices probably do so for one of several reasons: (1) they like the wide open world of the Android environment where anyone can basically install anything they want on their devices, configuring it to their delight, (2) they've bought into the idea that all things Apple are irrationally expensive, and don't bother to check out the details, or (3) they have a bias against Apple for some other reason. That means to me that the only people who will be open to switching to the Apple ecosystem for any reason are those who have started using Android devices agnostically, and are starting to become annoyed by Android's caveats. You can install anything, but that also means you can get suckered into installing stuff that takes advantage of you. Once you realize that, you may look to other options. On Apple's side, it's a curated world. You don't have the flexibility of Android, but you do have an ecosystem that's been developed to protect you as much as it can, while providing you world class functionality with minimal efforts on your behalf to use it. That also means you have to accept Apple's design decisions with their products, both on the software and hardware sides. Some people find that confining, and avoid it. Others find that comforting, and embrace it.

So, in short, the only people who are likely to switch over to Apple's ecosystem for any reason, are those who can comfortably accept that ethos. I wouldn't expect the Apple Watch to materially affect that decision. It's just one more feature of the Apple ecosystem for those who have willingly bought into Apple's culture.

Brilliantly stated, my friend...

anon(785719)

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site

I am actually thinking about moving to android for my phone needs because of this. Once Apple gets you it's hard to leave though. The integration with messaging and phone call forwarding to my iPad is one reason it's hard to switch.

I think the apple watch is less attractive than the moto 360. That rotating crown on the side doesn't seem like something I would like to use. Combine that with battery life, price and the fact that it will be replaced in a yr with a new model make it a silly purchase IMO.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am actually thinking about moving to android for my phone needs because of this. Once Apple gets you it's hard to leave though. The integration with messaging and phone call forwarding to my iPad is one reason it's hard to switch.

I think the apple watch is less attractive than the moto 360. That rotating crown on the side doesn't seem like something I would like to use. Combine that with battery life, price and the fact that it will be replaced in a yr with a new model make it a silly purchase IMO.

That's debatable...;)....I'm sure other ecosystems have similar options. It may cost you in the beginning to switch, but if switching will make you happier then it'll be worth it, in my opinion.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods