Is the Watch completely touchscreen or do you have to use the digital crown?

Danny Olivo

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Is the watch not totally touch screen and you have to use that wheel thingy on the side ? I've watched the videos and they always use that wheel. Can you not do everything on the screen without it or are they just suggesting that's it's easier to use it ? Not a fan of it and it will probably be a deal breaker on whether I get one or not.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: Wheel thingy

From what the videos show the wheel allows you to scroll without covering screen with your finger.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

Is the watch not totally touch screen and you have to use that wheel thingy on the side ? I've watched the videos and they always use that wheel. Can you not do everything on the screen without it or are they just suggesting that's it's easier to use it ? Not a fan of it and it will probably be a deal breaker on whether I get one or not.
It is called the Digital Crown, for navigating purposes like "pinch to zoom" for app selection, contact selection, picture selection, date/time selection, etc. Apple has always been so minimal and streamlined with its designs, so for me, the need for the Digital Crown is such a departure. My concern is the possibility of wear and tear, and it seems rather less efficient than voice commands, motion gestures, and swipes. However, these concerns are just based on what I have seen or read so far, having yet to play with it.

Last edited:

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

The digital crown will be the only option for zooming in on some screens. The Apple Watch's screen is certainly a touch screen, and can detect two fingers touching it for the heartbeat message feature, but it has NO pinch to zoom capability.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
#1 who the freak changed my title and post ?
# 2 it's a scroll wheel ?
Digital crown, wth is a digital crown.

#1 Your title was horrendous
#2 if you don't even know what the Digitial Crown is then perhaps the Watch isn't right for you

Last edited:

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Voice control and swiping are both things the Apple Watch does, so don't worry! The digital crown just actually makes things easier for times you don't want to block the screen. As for wear and tear there won't be much since the wheel part of the digital crown is the only mechanical part of the feature; the rest is electronic (or digital), hence the name.

Danny Olivo

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Voice control and swiping are both things the Apple Watch does, so don't worry! The digital crown just actually makes things easier for times you don't want to block the screen. As for wear and tear there won't be much since the wheel part of the digital crown is the only mechanical part of the feature; the rest is electronic (or digital), hence the name.

Thanks for the great reply Micro, unlike the other small minded idiots and the corny moderator or whatever he/she is that changed my great title about this wheel thingy.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the great reply Micro, unlike the other small minded idiots and the corny moderator or whatever he/she is that changed my great title about this wheel thingy.
Post titles are modified for clarity and to make topics easier to search for by others... and be careful about using invective like "small minded idiots" as it can be more of an insight into who you are rather than your opinion of someone else.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Post titles are modified for clarity and to make topics easier to search for by others... and be careful about using invective like "small minded idiots" as it can be more of an insight into who you are rather than your opinion of someone else.

The OP calling the Digital Crown a "Wheel Thingy" pretty much says it all.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The OP calling the Digital Crown a "Wheel Thingy" pretty much says it all.

LOL was just going to say the same thing. Also Micro told you basically what you could have found on the Apple website. You obviously didn't research much of the Watch or else you would have known it was called the digital crown. To Keith's point outing the other posters as 'small minded idiots' is indicative of yourself and calling 'D corny was just sad what he did was appropriate.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods