Connecting Watch to iPhone

07GD SFD

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Each morning, when putting the Watch on for the first time, will the Watch need to be paired via the iPhone app? Or does the pairing stay once it's initially set up?

I also wonder about if I become separated from my phone for part of the day. Say I leave my desk and leave my phone behind. When I get back in range of my phone, will it link up automatically? I understand that the Watch will store some information (like my steps traveled) and will send it to the phone once they're reconnected.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Similar to all modern bluetooth devices, you'll only need to pair once.
The only time you should ever need to re-pair is after a software wipe.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
As the watch comes within Bluetooth range, it should automatically reconnect, just as it does in your car for voice calling and playing music to the car stereo.

You will have to reauthenticate your watch by entering your passcode (presumably on your iPhone) whenever you reattach the watch to your wrist, but once it's on your wrist, you're good for the day.

07GD SFD

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Another thought I just had relates to the Bluetooth stereo comments above. I'll be curious to see which system will default to answering a phone call when I'm in my car- the Watch or the car's Bluetooth stereo.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I'd guess the iPhone's Bluetooth to car connection would take priority, since the car's software probably won't be smart enough to not handle the call. Also, the watch has been designed to maximize battery life during the day. If it can ignore handling calls and save some battery life while the car takes over, I'd guess Apple would take advantage of it.