Potential problems?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if it would be any worse or better than any other wrist worn timepiece without seeing it for myself...

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, the display will no doubt wash out in direct sunlight. I remember that the Lumia line of phones combines AMOLED with polarizing filters, which helped. Maybe there'll be something like that going on. But if you spend your days outside in the dazzling sunlight, this may not be the product for you. (Me, I spend my days sitting in my troll cave at a computer, so no problem there.)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else concerned with being able to see the screen in bright sunlight?

What other concerns do you have?

I doubt anyone will have a problem viewing it in direct sunlight, and I'd like to think that Apple has taken that into consideration.

Aguaski

May 11, 2013
Visit site
The OP asked about other concerns. I don't know if this will be an issue or not, but some of my phones have gotten warm/hot when the screen remains on or when processing an intense activity. A warm/hot watch strapped to my wrist will be very bothersome. After the Apple Watch is released I will be searching forums like this to verify there are not any heat related issues. I don't expect that there will be a problem with heat, but I want to be 100% sure that I will be happy with the Apple Watch before investing money on the new device. I plan to be part of the second wave of Apple Watch buyers probably waiting about a month after release before getting my device.

Last edited:

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
There's evidence that Apple is using AMOLED technology with this screen, which I believe uses less power than screens used in the iPhone. Less power means less heat and better battery life. We'll find out soon enough.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Problems I could imagine would be uncomfortable to wear, connection dropping with iphone, poor battery that can't last 12 hours (time mode means little to me since I'm not buying this watch just for time), poor speaker that you can't hear, issues with crown turning or the side buttons in general, too much lag, and any software bugs that could just annoy the crap out of you.

I'm all for it and willing to spend several hundred for what sounds good on paper. Not all the above are deal breakers but a combination of them could be. Fortunately we get a return period. Although it'll be interesting to see what that policy is. I'm thinking Apple might choose to clamp down here on 100% refunds and the rampant use of "i'll just try it out" when you factor in used bands. But at the same time, they want to make sure this watch will sell, so you never know.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's been a very long time since Apple put out a piece of junk. Even the iP 5c was and still is a good phone, despite it's reputation which was unfairly based on the "plastic" casing. And I don't think Apple plans to release a piece of junk with the Watch. It will be very nice. But it won't be for everyone, including me. I've no interest in it at all. And that puts me in the vast majority of US iPhone users. I'll be surprised if as many as 10% of US iPhone users buy one. But regardless, it will be a nice gizmo for those who do buy one.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I wouldn't call it a junk when it does a lot more than the Pebble, but as in any first generations, there are always improvements that should be ironed out in the 2nd generation.
I wasn't calling it a piece of junk. You read me wrong. I was referring to some of the other comments.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think it would probably behoove most people considering this product to actually go TRY it before they start mounting possibly irrelevant lists of things they are "concerned" with, especially when they've never actually tried a product like this...ever.

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I am not concerned. AMOLED technology can be made bright. The AMOLED on the s6 has a higher max brightness than the LCD on the iPhone 6.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen