Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

162 Posts
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts

Default Upgrade cycle on watch

Both my Macbook Pro and my iPad are nearing their third birthdays, and I feel no compulsion to upgrade either. They both look brand new, they work fine, and the newer models are not offering enough to be worth the money.

On the other hand, I'm first in line to upgrade my phone every two years.

I'm wondering how it will go with the watch, and the more I think about it, the more I suspect that the watch will have a longer lifetime - even the first version. The main upgrade that would excite us is a slimmer profile. I'm assuming the watch's thickness is mainly due to battery, which means it's not likely to get much thinner any time soon. Other improvements are less compelling - the display is already retina, and the processor speed and memory are going to be adequate for years.

So what do you think? Are we going to be happy with our watches for, say, four or even five years instead of two? Or is Apple going to wow us with radical changes more often than that?
    iMore Intermediate

404 Posts
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts

Default Re: Upgrade cycle on watch

Apple will wow us with changes, but I don't think they'll be compelling enough to upgrade every year, or even every two years. Maybe on the third year it will be tempting, but it still isn't likely to be required to enjoy the latest software. I'm hoping Apple will let the original Apple watch "live" for at least five years. I do not plan to upgrade the watch I'm getting for at least three years, and I may hold onto it for the full five depending on the features and pricing of newer versions.
    iMore Intermediate

265 Posts
    Global Posts
    23,847 Global Posts

It depends on what the next generations entails, but being first gen, I suspect 2-3 years tops for me
    iMore Intermediate

380 Posts
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts

Gosh, my first gen iPad still looks and acts brand new. Like you said, I'm satisfied with it (and a mini) but the longest I held out on a phone upgrade was 4S to 6 plus. Your observation makes me hopeful.