Does anyone else think the Watch is ugly?

thebart

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
When I first saw the Watch my immediate reaction is it's ugly. It's rectangular, thick, boxy. It looks like a high gloss, less nerdy (but still nerdy) version of the pebble. And the UI crammed full of little icons. Ughh. I'm sorry, but if LG or Samsung had come out with this, Apple fans and employees would be snickering.

Now, since then, seeing the gold (very expensive) version and the truly nice band choices and all the snazzy Vogue ads, I've moderated my feeling somewhat. But I think ultimately it is still a misstep.

It's not that you can't make a stylish rectangular watch, you just can't make a stylish rectangular watch that is big and thick. Yes it would be truly horrendous without the Apple styling, but imagine a round watch like the 360 done the Apple way and think how much better that would have been.

Apple has always been accused of trading function for form, but in this case I think they made a mistake going to far the other way. They traded form for function. I am certain some people at Apple got serious heart burn when they saw round smart watches coming out.

I can just imagine Jobs seeing an early prototype of the Watch and saying this is sh*!. They should have designed the body first, then told the engineers whatever you can fit into this, that will be the function of the Watch. If it doesn't fit, then leave it out until the state of the art make it possible. If we can't make a good looking watch works, then we're going to wait until we can do it right, because we don't get to take multiple shots at this.

Apple is not Samsung. Samsung can just throw a bunch of stuff at the wall, use what works and quietly pull the flops from the market. Apple is too visible, too closely watched. Everything they do is magnified. The sword cuts both ways.

The thing is, now they are stuck with this form factor. Once people actually shell out for a 17000 watch, Apple just can't come back in a year or two and say uhh you know what, the Apple Watch will be round now. Aside from tacitly agreeing that they blew it, they'll have to redo the UI. More importantly, they will make early adopters feel like chumps. But that is exactly what is going to happen.

As Mr T says, I pity the fools.

The other thing they failed is to not find a way to make the Edition's electronics upgradable. Buy a really expensive band and body, and every year or two you bring it in and have the electronics and screen swapped out for, oh, a thousand bucks. Then it'll have all the latest capability and work with your latest iPhone. Heck it may even replace your iPhone.

I keep hearing people say luxury watches cost a lot. But if you buy, say, a Philippe Patek, you can use it for decades. You can pass it on to your kids. You can resell it. In five years who's going to want a first gen Apple watch? I guess you can melt it down for the gold, lol.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I actually think it looks really nice. It will improve when they can get it a bit thinner, but even now it looks nice.

I personally really don't like the look of the Moto 360 when I see pictures of people wearing it. It's so large and thick, it looks like a kid wearing Dad's watch.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
The Watch Snob says both round and square watch faces are appropriate for formal occasions, and that though market conditions create more round watches than square ones, the beauty and value of a round watch is highly subjective. And what the Watch Snob does not mention is that market conditions can certainly change, and Apple is skilled at making that happen.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Have you compared the first iPhone model to the iPhone 6? Same thing. The original was great for its time. Years later it's still cool, but pretty clunky. Same with the first gen iPad. It's pretty much how tech evolves.

I have no issues with the look or function of the Watch. In fact, I am strongly considering purchasing one just to have - and to keep sealed in the original packaging. Some day it will be worth something, and nice to have, just as a souvenir. I have several original iPhones, and would love to have one in very good/mint condition.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's ugly but I don't think it's pretty either. I much prefer the aesthetics of the Moto 360, the LG Urbane and the Huawei Watch (especially the Huawei).

I collect watches and just prefer the aesthetics of a round watch face. Personal opinion, I know, but there you go.

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
My only concern is battery life... The apperance isn't an issue for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
To me it's not an attractive watch by any means and I wouldn't wear this over my Diesel timepieces. It looks like smart watches did years ago. Square and ugly. I expected better from apple and instead its very much a first generation product to me. One that I will not be purchasing.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I do not think the Watch is "ugly". It's a well-made smart device with numerous accessories to alter its look on your arm. Is it something I want at this time? Nope, but my decision to not buy it doesn't have anything to do with the way it looks.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes. It reminds me of the Casio calculator watches from the 80s for some reason. Pretty much all of the smart watches are ugly in my opinion, but my opinion doesn't really mean a lot since I don't plan on buying one anyway. I am only answering the question because you asked.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it looks ugly at all, although it looks similar to the Sony watch, minus the digital crown. They have many gorgeous interchangeable straps, and I Iove the variety of clockfaces.

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't like the looks of the Sport watches, which is unusual because I'm not into the looks of devices. I also didn't expect it to look as "bulky" as it does, but that doesn't bother me. The Apple Watches that don't have the Sport-styled bands look OK.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I think it looks good. Not the best looking watch on the market (I'd give that to the Moto 360) but definitely a good looking watch and one of my favorites.

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I love the design. The only other smartwatch that could be considered better right now is the Moto 360. Sure the LG Urbane is round but it's ugly as all heck

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
It's boxy like the first-gen iPad was boxy.

The second gen will be sleeker with better batter life, but you can't be among the first with the second gen. Trade-offs. Life is full of trade-offs.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods