Sport/Aluminum VS. Standard/Stainless Steel - How Do Think They Will Hold Up In Comparison?

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm stuck. I want the color of the Space Gray Sport but the sapphire and stainless steel (although a little torn on that one because of the weight) of the Standard but I'm not willing to pay $1,100 to get a black Standard. So my question is: would you feel comfortable with the aluminum build holding up to normal wear and tear without any scratching or dings as well as the stainless steel should? I'm extremely, extremely careful with my stuff, but this is a little different than an iPhone in the sense that you can't always control what comes into contact with what's attached to your wrist, which is why I'm more concerned about the Watch than I was about my iPhone.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm stuck. I want the color of the Space Gray Sport but the sapphire and stainless steel (although a little torn on that one because of the weight) of the Standard but I'm not willing to pay $1,100 to get a black Standard. So my question is: would you feel comfortable with the aluminum build holding up to normal wear and tear without any scratching or dings as well as the stainless steel should? I'm extremely, extremely careful with my stuff, but this is a little different than an iPhone in the sense that you can't always control what comes into contact with what's attached to your wrist, which is why I'm more concerned about the Watch than I was about my iPhone.

I have an old swatch from 1998 and it has an aluminum case, it looks excellent after 17 years of use and it's been thru a lot.. so I wouldn't be concerned about this.
The sapphire on the other hand is a big deal for me since I'm concerned about scratches more than breaking the crystal of the watch if dropped ( I've never broken a watch crystal and I've had mineral, sapphire, plastic etc) but I'm not willing to pay 200 more just to get the sapphire so I'll be getting the sport model.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
The aluminum should hold up just fine. I had a budget of $600 saved for the watch, expecting to spend on accessories and such, but I am planning to up that by a couple of hundred so I can get a midrange Watch because I know it's what I want and I don't want to settle only to come back two weeks later and upgrade. If you know you'll only be really happy with the steel and sapphire, get what you want and don't look back (just cut down on the fast food and beers, or whatever your other vices may be, probably a good idea anyway :) ).

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I have an old swatch from 1998 and it has an aluminum case, it looks excellent after 17 years of use and it's been thru a lot.. so I wouldn't be concerned about this.
The sapphire on the other hand is a big deal for me since I'm concerned about scratches more than breaking the crystal of the watch if dropped ( I've never broken a watch crystal and I've had mineral, sapphire, plastic etc) but I'm not willing to pay 200 more just to get the sapphire so I'll be getting the sport model.

That's reassuring, thanks. And I agree, I too am far more concerned about scratches than I am about anything breaking.

The aluminum should hold up just fine. I had a budget of $600 saved for the watch, expecting to spend on accessories and such, but I am planning to up that by a couple of hundred so I can get a midrange Watch because I know it's what I want and I don't want to settle only to come back two weeks later and upgrade. If you know you'll only be really happy with the steel and sapphire, get what you want and don't look back (just cut down on the fast food and beers, or whatever your other vices may be, probably a good idea anyway :) ).

That's true. I do really want the stainless steel, I just want it in black. So I'll have to figure it out but I'm again leaning toward the stainless steel.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a stainless steel Lum-Tec with a sapphire crystal that has been thru hell and it looks brand new.

Sapphire is worth it if you are tough on your watches. Especially one that displays more than just the time/data such as a smartwatch.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a stainless steel Lum-Tec with a sapphire crystal that has been thru hell and it looks brand new.

Sapphire is worth it if you are tough on your watches. Especially one that displays more than just the time/data such as a smartwatch.

Thanks, that's what I thought would probably be the case. I think I'll just give up my dream of black and go with the tougher model because while I'm certainly not hard on my watches, you never know what can happen in an instantaneous accident when said product is attached to your wrist.

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
It's been reported that Apple may introduce new watch metals in the fall, including Titanium which is stronger then Aluminum or Steel. You may want to hold out a few months to see if Apple will introduce new metals that you may prefer over aluminum. They are known to release new product models and reduce pricing a few months after introducing a new products.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Actually, Apple seldom reduces prices except on refurbs, and older models when new models are released, if it continues selling the older model at all. If you're not satisfied with the current offerings, don't buy, but don't wait expecting to get a better deal next time. Apple typically adds new functionality with new models, and keeps the price the same.

Cap_172R

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
All my current watches have sapphire.... They hold up excellent and they are also stainless steel or titanium bands. I was thinking as that was the case to get the sport edition/ sport band to change it up...

omakone

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
I am right there with you. I really love the look of the space black stainless steel. That being said $1100 is a lot of money. My plan is to go to the Apple store on April 10th and see the watch in person. I have been disappointed in the past when I saw something on line only to get it and realize that the color was just different enough to feel buyer's remorse.

I had saved up about $750 for the watch, but I have made an agreement with my wife (she is a CPA, so she handles the finances. I am not going to complain we will have our house paid off in less than 8 years and we have paid cash for our last two cars.) that I will work a little overtime here and there to make up the difference.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
It's been reported that Apple may introduce new watch metals in the fall, including Titanium which is stronger then Aluminum or Steel. You may want to hold out a few months to see if Apple will introduce new metals that you may prefer over aluminum. They are known to release new product models and reduce pricing a few months after introducing a new products.

I don't see them releasing a new model in the fall, that's not Apple historically. And I can't wait another minute past the initial release to get one, I'm already chomping at the bit.

I am right there with you. I really love the look of the space black stainless steel. That being said $1100 is a lot of money. My plan is to go to the Apple store on April 10th and see the watch in person. I have been disappointed in the past when I saw something on line only to get it and realize that the color was just different enough to feel buyer's remorse.

I had saved up about $750 for the watch, but I have made an agreement with my wife (she is a CPA, so she handles the finances. I am not going to complain we will have our house paid off in less than 8 years and we have paid cash for our last two cars.) that I will work a little overtime here and there to make up the difference.

Your wife sounds like a keeper.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2