The emotional pull of the Apple Watch

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple succeeded in nauseating me with the idea of a gold computer and the number of people who will want to get one to show off. That was some tacky garbage.

You felt they were really pushing the gold Macbook? I didn't get that from the keynote at all...they talked about the colors, but I felt they were pushing the "beautiful" space grey more than the gold...and were more determined to force the sizing on you (which is understandable...it's TINY!)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You felt they were really pushing the gold Macbook? I didn't get that from the keynote at all...they talked about the colors, but I felt they were pushing the "beautiful" space grey more than the gold...and were more determined to force the sizing on you (which is understandable...it's TINY!)

As I stated in a previous thread, I wish they had at least maintained the 13.3-inch size.

ultravisitor

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site

I don't think they were "pushing" it, per se. The gold Macbook just...should not have been produced at all.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Well the "why" be damned.....I'll be getting an  Watch.
Just a wee bit later than original thought.
MacBook first.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The Watch just hasn't done anything for me. I'm looking forward to retiring my iP 5 , and getting the iP 6s Plus. That's my excitement. September here I come!!

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Grrr I'm perturbed by the high prices and I won't be getting the one I want (black steel) but I will be getting one! I'm already hooked, and I haven't even gotten a chance to touch the thing yet!!!!! It seems like the revelations made today didn't change the opinions of most about the Apple Watch(es). We are all mostly going with our gut reactions (or original, logical conclusions :) ).

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I've got to say that it didn't work on me. I felt very unfazed by the Watch presentation this morning, which is unexpected considering I have been tinkering with that Watch calibrator webpage a lot last week and had my mind firmly set on getting one. But at that point I was still hopeful that Apple would in typical fashion surprise me this morning with something that really makes me want it, wish turns out didn't happen. For example, I'm into running and sports big time, so they had my intention when they boasted 'here's a film how it helped Christy Turlington Burns run her marathon', and then that film plus on stage interview is just so devoid of any content that I wonder 'so how did it help you then?'. Tracked your pace and heartbeat? Terrific. But that's not a gamechanger, let alone worth such an expensively shot video clip. Was very excited about the watch, but right now it would be the first Apple device in my collection that I wouldn't know how to justify to anyone. So nah, I pass and wait for the second/third gen.

Schosh

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Luxury items , by definition, are based on satisfying irrational emotional desire rather then rational need.
Wearables may well develop into necessary tools but currently they all are luxuries providing self satisfying emotional pleasure as their primary reason to exist.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Luxury items , by definition, are based on satisfying irrational emotional desire rather then rational need.
Wearables may well develop into necessary tools but currently they all are luxuries providing self satisfying emotional pleasure as their primary reason to exist.

The  Watch will also return some of the time you lose by constantly pulling the iPhone out to check stuff. Now you can simply glance at your wrist for notifications, the weather, query Siri to send text or check something on the Internet, or even just check the time!

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The  Watch will also return some of the time you lose by constantly pulling the iPhone out to check stuff. Now you can simply glance at your wrist for notifications, the weather, query Siri to send text or check something on the Internet, or even just check the time!

That remains to be seen. I can see people actually using the watch to do things better done on an iphone. That will give the time right back.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Literally laughed out loud at the bolded part.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

I would agree by that to a certain extent. You either buy something with your head of with your heart. I tend to buy a lot of stuff with my heart and for example my car was a heart purchase as I could have bought another new and perfectly serviceable (and probably more practical) car for a tenth of the price.

I think the Apple Watch will, or at least could, be a purchase that spans both of those though. No doubt it is an emotional purchase as no-one really needs a smartwatch but the practicalities of this thing could be undeniable. Here's hoping the things like smart navigation and notifications are an actual rather than a perceived time saver.

As with all things, prolonged hands-on time with the Watch should provide the answers on an individual basis.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
But in the end I feel people will realize the watch has flaws....flaws like not even lasting a day in battery life. Who wants a watch that doesn't even last a single day? I know I wouldn't...

anon(2254645)

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
One of the biggest flaws I see is the short battery charge, rendering the alarm function virtually useless. I can set my Pebble alarm to wake me in the morning but if I'm charging my Apple watch this is a non-starter. Sure you can set an alarm during the day, but isn't that what a reminder does? I'm waiting for the Pebble Time, since my Pebble/iPhone combination has served me well.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
One of the biggest flaws I see is the short battery charge, rendering the alarm function virtually useless. I can set my Pebble alarm to wake me in the morning but if I'm charging my Apple watch this is a non-starter. Sure you can set an alarm during the day, but isn't that what a reminder does? I'm waiting for the Pebble Time, since my Pebble/iPhone combination has served me well.

I absolutely second this opinion, because my Pebble has never failed me once in all the time I had it. It is really the most viable smartwatch imho alongside the Moto360.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Maybe Mophie will make a battery case for it :p

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I plug in my phone while I sleep and it's my alarm.
It's part of the bedtime routine....take off makeup, brush teeth, let dogs out and come back in, lock doors, plug in phone, get in bed. I'll simply change it to plug in phone AND  Watch.
No issue there.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I used to plug in at bedtime, but at some point started charging right before bedtime. I think the power went out one night during a storm, and my phone was only at 31%. IDK. But I won't have an  to worry with.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮