Is the Apple Watch marketed toward more women than men?

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
As 3/9/15 approaches, I have been doing more reading about it, and it seems to me more promo has been on women magazines, with female models, and other fashion focus venues...traditionally with a large female audience. Besides the silver metal bands, most of the bands look feminine with bright colors, and many of the watchfaces like Mikey Mouse, butterflies, etc. seem to geared toward female consumers. Nothing wrong with that, just curious if others have the same observation.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Not at all. While I (female) didn't care for the colors of the 5C, the band colors remind me a lot of the 5C and I've seen plenty of men with those. Also the metal bands are obviously unisex. The only one that seems particularly feminine to me is the rose gold Watch Edition with the pale pink leather band.
You are right about the sports edition, the colors are like the 5C. I was thinking more of Apple's overall marketing campaign...seems to target female consumers like Vogue Magazine, Fashion Week, etc. I haven't seen an ad on GQ yet.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
As 3/9/15 approaches, I have been doing more reading about it, and it seems to me more promo has been on women magazines, with female models, and other fashion focus venues...traditionally with a large female audience. Besides the silver metal bands, most of the bands look feminine with bright colors, and many of the watchfaces like Mikey Mouse, butterflies, etc. seem to geared toward female consumers. Nothing wrong with that, just curious if others have the same observation.

I believe they are in women's magazines because women in general are heavier magazine readers/buyers. Women's magazines are some of the best selling magazines on the market.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Kind of a weird question given the Apple Watch isn't really marketed at all yet...it'd be unfair to judge their marketing targets with what we've seen so far, which is primarily just keynote discussion from last years tease and online speculation.

After the 9th, we'll see what kind of marketing they do with the Apple Watch.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Kind of a weird question given the Apple Watch isn't really marketed at all yet...it'd be unfair to judge their marketing targets with what we've seen so far, which is primarily just keynote discussion from last years tease and online speculation.

After the 9th, we'll see what kind of marketing they do with the Apple Watch.
Yes, I would also assume we will see more promo on the watch after 3/9/15. It is just that in the last 2 months, I have seen the promo on Vogue mag worn by supermodels and at various fashion week venues. I have yet to see the same promo on male mags like GQ. And all the talk about it associated with luxury, the images with the gold edition and the bands with it look feminine to me. Just my observation and speculation. If true, I wonder if Apple thinks women tend to buy more accessories or jewelry than men, since the watch is afterall an accessory unlike the IPhone.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I know many companies tend to put their ads in high selling magazines as the cost for running ads is high so obviously Apple will choose the top 5 selling magazines in the world which (other than playboy) are most likely related to fashion, gossip or lifestyle

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
I think that may well be the case...and not because the Apple Watch is for women only, but because women may need more convincing (at first anyway)...there seem to be more male technogeeks than female...Apple knows that early adopters are usually the technogeeks (I am definitely one) and they want to convince more people in general that the Apple Watch is not just geeky tech but something people will care about and use, and they are doing this by appealing to women. Just a theory...

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I think that may well be the case...and not because the Apple Watch is for women only, but because women may need more convincing (at first anyway)...there seem to be more male technogeeks than female...Apple knows that early adopters are usually the technogeeks (I am definitely one) and they want to convince more people in general that the Apple Watch is not just geeky tech but something people will care about and use, and they are doing this by appealing to women. Just a theory...

That's what I was thinking. A lot of men that are techies already think the  Watch is cool, but a lot of the women need convinching that they should wear it. It has been advertised in fashion magazines more for that reason alone, IMO.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I actually think this is the first smart watch that takes women into consideration. Offering a smaller version and interchangeable bands I think make it good for everyone.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
What marketing have you seen suggesting that women are the targeted audience?
Not saying that only women are their targeted audience, seems to be more inclusive or possibly more for women, which can be a good thing, more than other smartwatches. Here is the article:

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/25/apple-watch-vogue-magazine-march/

"The Apple Watch made its U.S. magazine cover debut earlier this month in the March issue of Self, and it's also being featured in a multi-page spread in the March issue of Vogue."

Vogue, Self, and other fashion venues...mostly women audience.
There is also another article saying the design fits very well with the modern day woman. I need to find it, but here's another one:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wearables/wearables-for-women-are-coming/

"Apple is going after women more than it?s going after men."

If true, good for them. For me personally, the watch does look less rugged than the other smartwatches, even the sports edition. The metal bands though make it look more unisex.

Last edited:

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I see your point but successful marketing starts way before a product is ever released to the public. Apple already knew who there target market would be before the watch was mentioned last year. Women are major shoppers and the fact that Apple is already putting the watch in women's magazines says they are heavily targeting women with this product.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I think the high-end one is being marketed more towards women.

The sport bands and the leather bands are plenty masculine.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Sleepy_ER_Dr

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
No it is not. That is why there are two sizes. A small one and a large one. Also, there are different colored wristbands made from different materials. You can pick out the type of watch you prefer as well as the band you want.....I can't wait for the announcement after tomorrow.

Iphone 4/Ipad > IPhone 5s/iPad Air

iimartinov

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Women always more tolerant to hi-technologies then men. So Apple wants to drive more female audience. This is why they advertize using female models.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I'd argue that it's harder to sell a device like this to a woman as typically, women are more fashion focused then men. I'm sure (like another commenter said) that this product might be a harder to sell to a female audience. I never thought the colors were feminine, to be honest. Didn't even cross my mind until I read your post. I guess different strokes. But to answer your question, no I don't think any one apple watch is more masculine or feminine than another. I think their appeal is fairly unisex.

But I'm also the kind of guy that wears pink and just outright doesn't care about things that are 'supposed' to be for men or women. I can actually see myself wearing the pink sports band to be honest but I'm not sure it would look good with the stainless steel case I plan on buying. I think it would look better with the sport or rose gold.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Just remember Palm's lame attempt to market to women. It can often backfire. One misplaced stereotype and boom the internet is on fire. I think Apple would want to avoid this.

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
From today's presentation, it does seem Apple is trying to market the watch more to women than men, with a guess appearance with former supermodel Christy Turlington, and a host of women images in the video. I say good for them. I just hope their efforts won't indirectly turn away male consumers.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711