What if the iWatch isn't a health device?

Apple Fanatic 44

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
What if the iWatch isn't for tracking your health or at least not as much as people suspect? What if the iWatch was a home automation device? It could have Siri integration to control things and would be perfect for iBeacons. I mean you would have the watch on you all the time and it would have longer battery life than if you used your phone with iBeacons. The iBeacons would tells your devices where you are and could do things like turn on the lights when you walk in. And you could do things like just say "Hey Siri" to your iWatch where ever you are without fumbling for your phone and then tell it something like "Siri, I spilled some mustard.", and Siri would dispatch the iRobot in the room you were in. And all this could be done in Apple's own home app that comes standard on your device. This app could connect to anything that uses HomeKit and would be where you set the schedules and set it up. What do you guys think of this idea? Would you buy an iWatch if that's what it was primarily for?

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

Last edited:

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I think it'd be cool if it worked like that but I don't think I'd buy it in that case because I wouldn't really have a use for me. I want something slightly above the experience you get with a Pebble and around the experience of Android Wear

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What if the iWatch isn't for tracking your health or at least not as much as people suspect?
It would bother me at all.
What if the iWatch was a home automation device? It could have Siri integration to control things and would be perfect for iBeacons.
To the people who are into home automation devices, that could be exciting to them. Personally, it's not a big deal.
I mean you would have the watch on you all the time and it would have longer battery life than if you used your phone with iBeacons. The iBeacons would tells your devices where you are and could do things like turn on the lights when you walk in. And you could do things like just say "Hey Siri" to your iWatch where ever you are without fumbling for your phone and then tell it you spilled something, and Siri would dispatch the iRobot in the room you were in. And all this could be done in Apple's own home app that comes standard on your device. This app could connect to anything that uses HomeKit and would be where you set the schedules and set it up. What do you guys think of this idea? Would you buy an iWatch if that's what it was for?

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums
If it was strictly for home automation, I would pass on purchasing it.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't own a smart watch at all purely because I think they all look vile and cost far too much. The only smart watch I am intrigued with is the Moto 360 and that's because it uses a traditionally round face fused with some great features.

I don't care about a health device and I don't have any home automation, I would just like an extension of certain iPhone functions on my wrist.

In all honesty, Apple have a way to go to convince me an iWatch is something I would want. If they bring out a square faced design, I'll switch off instantly before they've even got onto the features. I don't care how many bells and whistles it has, if it had a square face, the only way I'd own one is if it was free...

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
If it wasn't an extremely-focused-on-health device, I honestly think it would just blend in with the other Smartwatches out there, with the only differentiator being the Apple logo :)

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I currently use a Garmin 210 for health/fitness tracking. I would love to see the iWatch incorporate health/fitness as well.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I plan to get a Fitbit for those times that I need to run or jog. I don't wear watches during exercise, so that functionality is lost on me.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I don't own a smart watch at all purely because I think they all look vile and cost far too much. The only smart watch I am intrigued with is the Moto 360 and that's because it uses a traditionally round face fused with some great features.

I don't care about a health device and I don't have any home automation, I would just like an extension of certain iPhone functions on my wrist.

In all honesty, Apple have a way to go to convince me an iWatch is something I would want. If they bring out a square faced design, I'll switch off instantly before they've even got onto the features. I don't care how many bells and whistles it has, if it had a square face, the only way I'd own one is if it was free...

I'm just waiting for Apple to define what a smart watch is. I've no idea if I'd want it or not. It'd have to be compelling though since I don't wear a watch. Can't say I'm interested in the health stuff despite me being more health oriented now.

Inkymycat

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I like what Fitbit has to offer. I will wait on the iWatch. Knowing it's an apple product it will be expensive. I'll wait for some reviews first and will research.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I too will probably wait on the iWatch and research it. As of right now, I don't think I'll buy one, but if Apple does something really great with it, then I might consider it.

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Will the iWatch be a stand alone phone or access the iPhone via Bluetooth.

Sent from my iPhone using the iMore Forums Mobile App

Beryl

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
I will only get it if it can replace my Fitbit. I don't see working with a iPhone -- especially the super-sized ones.