Apple on the RIM of success...

swiftideaz

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Apple is appears to be following into the empty footprints of RIM.

Once upon a time the folks at RIM were so overly confident in their devices and their technology that they became content releasing slightly tweaked versions of the same device over and over again. The hardcore Crackberry crowd, myself included, was growing impatient with the exact same phone being released over and over again.....Then they dropped their failure of a product the Blackberry Storm and it was curtains...A few not so bad devices and new OS's have dropped from in the last few months but nothing big enough to get them back on track. They went from the very top to the very bottom......

My fear is that unless Apple has something amazing up its sleeve that will be dropped in the Iphone 5S, they are following in the exact same foot steps as RIM. Just like RIM, Apple appears to be driven by the same protected bubble inhabiting leadership that drove RIM to release the same thing over and over again thinking "oh the hardcore will still always buy our stuff"....Sorry guys, that wont happen. If Samsung and others keep releasing cool technology and bigger devices with better battery life, then you are gonna lose your spot at the top.

All I hear about the next Iphone is the camera and the thumb print scanner. That sounds like your think tank is too insulated from the real people using these devices that they think those two things are gonna seal the deal on driving sale until the next Iphone...NOPE

Instead of ranting more about how I fear your over confidence is driving Apple off a cliff, Ill tell you what I think you should do and see what everyone else thinks....(and hopefully adds to)

*Bigger screen or at least an option for a version of an Iphone with a bigger screen. Iphone 5B (BIG)
Yes most dudes aren't hip to a big scene/phone because its not easy to hold in your jeans pocket but girls have purses and Chinese men, your fastest growing market, carry man purses and like the bigger screens. A Samsung S3/4 sized Iphone would rock. If not, something in-between the current size and the S3/4

* Waterproof Iphone- Yes, I know you guys make a ton of cash off of people dropping their phones in the toilet but a Liquapel like coating that could be advertised as a "weather proof" technology would kill it. People flip here and in China when I show them my phone is waterproofed. Everyone Ive shown that too wants it. At least offer a "sport" Iphone.

* Scratch proof/repairable technology- I work at a coating company and we have UV cured clear coatings that when applied to touch screens makes them basically scratch proof. AND if you do scratch it, you can simply heat your screen up with a heat gun and the coating flows back out into a clear, scratch free surface.

*Allow more customization of the desktop. Allow me to put up to 10-12 icons on the bottom dock, allow me to arrange the desktop icons in any order or shape I desire. That simple aspect of customizing your phone will allow people to want the same Iphone as everyone else but will still allow your phone to be different.

*Release gadgets to use with Apple products. Apple projectors, Apple cases, Apple external batteries, etc, etc. PEOPLE WANT APPLE PRODUCTS...GIVE IT TO THEM!!!

Im done for now....Kids got to be read to.....

I really hope you guys step up your game.....Cool technology is coming out to the next generation and the next gen are the most tech savy group ever....our needs are greater then ever and our attention span is shorter then

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Ive been hearing this "stuff" since I started paying attention prior to the release of the Verizon iPhone4.... and every iPhone release since has out-sold the previous one... Apple is doomed...

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Ya all previous devices, pre orders sell out in a few hours...... Launch day is in the Millions... Go figure.....

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
In my experience, the VAST majority of iPhone users don't care (or even know) about many of its features?they use an iPhone because they don't feel confused by it.

Power users will always want new features. But to turn it around: how many of those Galaxy S4 owners are using the "hot new features" listed here?

Size, I kind of agree with?I'd like to see a bigger option available at some point.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
What a crock... more predictions of Apple's imminent collapse... simply put, it’s not going to happen. Apple's devices sell out every time a new one is released. They set sales records with each new device, and I don’t see that ending anytime soon. We’re still 2 weeks away from the new iPhone even being announced, and yet, there’s already a frenzy over the device(s).

As Steven Tyler likes to sing, "Dream On..."

swiftideaz

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Im not saying they will collapse, Im saying releasing the same phone over and over again to a group of people that are becoming more and more tech savvy is not gonna work.....
Just like it didn't work with RIM...

AND...I dont want Apple to drop, I love Apple!!! I want them to stay on top but I dont see that happening with the same device being released in the smallest increments of updates...

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Im not saying they will collapse, Im saying releasing the same phone over and over again to a group of people that are becoming more and more tech savvy is not gonna work.....
Just like it didn't work with RIM...

AND...I dont want Apple to drop, I love Apple!!! I want them to stay on top but I dont see that happening with the same device being released in the smallest increments of updates...

Hmmm, you haven't been on these forums much, have you? This is a tough crowd! It's hard to convince people of Apple's impending demise when it is the most profitable company in history.

That said, it seems to me that Apple has become a bit complacent the last couple of years, which is dangerous in the volatile mobile market. Yes, sheer numbers are up, but market share is not. Blackberry was in a similar position not so long ago.

However, I would see Android dropping more quickly than Apple. For one thing, they're about 5 times as high, with 5 times farther to fall. Android's numbers are propped up by Samsung, and I wouldn't rule out Samsung releasing their own OS someday. That could put a big hurt on Android in a hurry!

swiftideaz

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I dont want Apple to fail and I didn't say it would, Im saying without some new technology or a difference in physical appearance it will get boring and people will lose interest.

I travel throughout China often and people are getting bored with the Iphone. Just like RIM, hard core Apple fans forget the rest of the world isnt as hard core as they are....

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Im saying without some new technology or a difference in physical appearance it will get boring and people will lose interest.

the hardware difference between the iPhone 5 and the 4S is way too much. hold an iPhone 5 and hold any other phone, u will yourself understand the amount of time apple engineers would have put into that phone.
plus earlier no one cared about how much a phone weighs, but ever since the iPhone 5 came out every major phone manufacturer has dedicated 2 min explaining how light is the new phone as compared to the previous gen.
per the interest, apple doesn't make only mobile phones like RIM does .
and history shows that market leaders struggle and apple is not the market leader

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
As long as companies are just iterating their products, Apple is fine.

Next disruptive product will be interesting, tho.

RIM didn't respond well to two disruptive Apple products -- iPhone and iPad. They had time to respond, but failed to in time. And so they are on the edge of oblivion.

We'll see how Apple does -- they may disrupt, or have to respond. RIM got customer demand wrong. Apple never did under Jobs. But Jobs is gone -- we'll see how his hand picked team does,

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't think the iterative comparison of BlackBerry to Apple is accurate at all.

BB:
-same tiny screen year after year, no real change in resolution.
-negligible addition of new features.
-no new services.
-low power processor that was just enough to read emails & play brick breaker.
-tried to innovate with the 'me too' Storm. Got a big bag of hurt for that.
Arguably, the only innovation they had was going from track wheel to trackball to track pad.

Apple:
-increased screen resolution, sparking the ppi marketing wars.
-increased screen size (arguably not enough).
-processor improvements in EVERY generation to make them faster and more battery efficient.
-improved camera performance and or features in EVERY generation.
-Added Siri, Maps, App Store. iTunes Match, iCloud, Photo Streams, copy/paste (LOL).

They are both iterative approaches, but on a scale of 1-10, BB gets a 2 because I feel generous.
Apple gets a conservative 7.
It's not even close.

*based on my unscientific, unresearched opinion/memory, from the time of the original BB Bold to the last one, 9700 or 9800 series whatever it was.

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
i don't agree with the OP. Blackberry was a mobile manufacturer only. The company had no other business except mobile manufacturing and services. But on the contrary apple is a computer manufacturer, it has various businesses including iPod, iPad, macs and iPhone and even iTunes. And when some businesses draw less revenue other business makes up for it.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
As long as companies are just iterating their products, Apple is fine.

Next disruptive product will be interesting, tho.

RIM didn't respond well to two disruptive Apple products -- iPhone and iPad. They had time to respond, but failed to in time. And so they are on the edge of oblivion.

We'll see how Apple does -- they may disrupt, or have to respond. RIM got customer demand wrong. Apple never did under Jobs. But Jobs is gone -- we'll see how his hand picked team does,

This sums it up nicely.

Brutal Efficiency

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I just know that moving away from BlackBerry 10 to iPhone would difficult.
I make use of NFC everyday, especially with my BlackBerry 10 friends. If I am looking at a website and there is something cool to read, I just tap my phone to theirs.

Also, blue tooth toggle, sensing messages, calling, all done with NFC.

The fact that I can access all my PC files on my BlackBerry even if my PC is at home while I am in another country is a real bonus and so useful. Never have to take my PC for anything anymore.

SD Card is a life saver for a gazillion reasons.

The Z30 can read USB sticks with USB OTG. Super handy business tool. Now that I have, going backwards in tech (on this subject) to an iPhone wouldn't be easy.

Miracast is a god-sent!!

This, and many other benefits the BlackBerry Z30 has over the iPhone will leave me staying with BlackBerry. Apple will never install these technologies because that allows interactions with the rest of the world and that scares Apple. If iPhone was able to communicate with other devices, then things like Apple TV, the future iTV, Mac, iTunes and other such things would be harder to sell.

Most people think that Apple's ecosystem is fantastic, and it is, HOWEVER, it is easy to connect to 'the world of things' with BlackBerry 10 and Android if you know how to. If you are 100% Apple, then it is easy to make all the connections, but you have to buy extra things. That's what Apple has going for them, making things easy. BlackBerry 10 and Android still have a way to go to make connecting with things easier, BUT what they do have going for them is that they can connect to a seemingly infinite amount of things, in comparison to iPhones.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone is the second best selling consumer product of all time. Being sold by Apple, the most valuable brand in the world, and the second most valuable company of all time. Blackberry was never any of these things. Not even close.

Those statistics are helped year over year, as sales increase with each release of a new iPhone. The iPhone hasn't even shown signs of hitting a plateau... how can it be headed for a downfall when it hasn't even peaked?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox