What would you like to see in a Apple watch?

Enbluetec

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
We got asked from a Pebble Watch user if we could modify our dock to take the Pebble as well. So we studied the new Pebble Time and were not sold- Apple will, like always set the new standards in this segment. Only problem (good for us :) ) is the limited batterie life and I don't believe it will hold the 18 hours if you use it instantly.

A cool thing would be, like Tesla`s supercharger, to develop a mobile power bank which releases quickly a peak, able to recharge the Apple Watch within minutes

Just see below (hey, don't take it to serious :cool:)

GoodHuman

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
Full integration with the iPod music to watch in real time.
In general, they should give options capability multitasking console. If you watched the movie you "Click" then you know what I mean
This is of course fantastic, but this can be pursued. :cool:

akanne

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I'd like the next Sport version to have GPS, ANT+ and for it to be waterproof enough for swimming. Battery life with best GPS accuracy would have to be 16-18 hours.

There are plenty of sports watches that does all of the above (I currently have the Garmin Fenix3) so there's no particular reason an Apple Watch named "Sport" shouldn't be able to live up to its name.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I'd like the next Sport version to have GPS, ANT+ and for it to be waterproof enough for swimming. Battery life with best GPS accuracy would have to be 16-18 hours.

There are plenty of sports watches that does all of the above (I currently have the Garmin Fenix3) so there's no particular reason an Apple Watch named "Sport" shouldn't be able to live up to its name.

Better waterproofing is reasonable. However, with current battery technology you'd have to give give up other power hungry technology to power a GPS chip. So, no notifications, phone calls, Siri Internet queries, weather checks, messages, sports scores, health monitoring, home remotes, etc.? If your answer is yes, you don't want an Apple Watch. You want a FitBit something or other, which is fine. To get all of a sports band's goodies on an Apple Watch, you'll either have to wait for the technology to catch up, or accept trade offs.

akanne

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Better waterproofing is reasonable. However, with current battery technology you'd have to give give up other power hungry technology to power a GPS chip. So, no notifications, phone calls, Siri Internet queries, weather checks, messages, sports scores, health monitoring, home remotes, etc.? If your answer is yes, you don't want an Apple Watch. You want a FitBit something or other, which is fine. To get all of a sports band's goodies on an Apple Watch, you'll either have to wait for the technology to catch up, or accept trade offs.

I think the battery life could be improved with intelligent power management:

-Pool swimming: Switch off everything except motion tracking
-Open water swimming: Do the above but add GPS
-Cycling: No need for most of the smartwatch stuff but add ANT+ power meter connectivity and of course GPS
-Running: Again, most smart features can be disabled but GPS needs to be on

You could even disable features based on movement, so that when you're in bike mode and moving features that you're not likely to use are disabled to save energy. I guess the CPU could also be clocked down when doing certain activities that disable most or all "smart" features.

I think the optical HR sensor will use a lot of battery so for the Sport model one way forward could be to add the option to pair an external HR strap and disable the optical sensor when in that mode.

I'm on my second GPS enabled sports watch but would switch to the Apple Watch in a heartbeat if it had the few critical features I want as a triathlete.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
If I was to say what I would like the Apple Watch to be. I want it to be its own device instead of a companion device. I want to be able to do things like start my car while I'm sitting in the restaurant and have it warm up for me. I want to get home and my garage door sees my authenticated watch meaning it knows I'm wearing it. The garage door opens and then my front door opens as I walk up to it. I want to turn on my TV and swipe my heand left or right to move a channel forward or backward. In other words I want to use gestures to control my TV whether it's an Apple TV or through a connected AppleTV. When I'm sick I want my watch to beep if my temperature is too hot and then display my temperature. If I pass out and I'm home alone I want it to dial 911 and get me an ambulance.

If I'm going to be realistic about what I want to see in the upcoming Apple Watch. I think they've mostly done all the things I personally want now. The ability to control the music on my iPhone. The ability to answer notifications, send messages and control my iPhone camera remotely. It's hard for me to realistically think of anything for the current hardware/software that's not there already.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
It's so funny to read this thread 2 years later now that the Apple Watch is a reality.

mountainman

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Waterproof. That is the one thing. I don't want to have to worry about getting it wet.

Oh, and wireless charging. Set it on your nightstand and you are good to go for your next adventure.

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Waterproof. That is the one thing. I don't want to have to worry about getting it wet.

Oh, and wireless charging. Set it on your nightstand and you are good to go for your next adventure.

I think it's water resistant so you don't have to worry about getting it "wet" but I don't think you can go swimming with it.

rav813

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
There's a kickstarter for clips that allow you to use any normal 22mm band. Bought one so I can use my Citizens band