What would you like to see in a Apple watch?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Nothing. I think it's a novelty that'll sell really well when it first releases, then it'll taper off and turn into more of a novelty item that everyone realizes they don't want or need. It could be great for exercise, but I don't see much more use besides that.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Solublepeter

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a Pebble.

Its great as far as it goes, and I think it proves that a watch that shows notifications and lets you control your music is a useful thing. Controlling your music is great while driving or snowboarding, or in the shower (its waterproof)

I think Apple could do it better simply because they will be able to integrate it into iOS more fully. I'd be surprised if they don't put a speaker and mic on it to allow you to use Siri with it, as they are head in that direction with their in-car hands free stuff.

nitingoel55

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Let us see now, what everyday gadgets/tools remain untackled so far - pen, wallet, hat, shoes, handkerchief. I can see an iPen, an iWallet coming up for sure!

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
No interest at all in a watch. I wouldn't wear one regardless of what it did. Assuming any of the reports are true, I think this is a huge waste of time and money.

boggs21

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Battery life needs to be outstanging. If it needs recharging every few days the usefulness is dimished. If an EcoDrive like system could be implemented that could make it a more desirable product.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Battery life needs to be outstanging. If it needs recharging every few days the usefulness is dimished. If an EcoDrive like system could be implemented that could make it a more desirable product.

Battery life is one area I'm sure Apple will have covered really well. I wouldn't worry about that.

Mariam936

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Okay, this may only be a fantasy, but what if apple is developing a wifi bracelet in the apple watch?!!! Yeah I know this is a stupid comment, but I can dream!

DYLANHABKIRK

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
What would you like to see in a Apple watch? A full version of iOS perhaps using a top of the line retina display? Anything you can come up with, let us know!

A nice retina display, FaceTime capabilities with at least an 8MP camera, a longer than 24hour battery, pairing options that blow Samsung and Pebble out of the water.

All put in an Apple fashion, with diamond cut edges.

The pictures I attached - I would buy this watch in a heartbeat!

Anyone else?

Attachments

• 8810958818_0ddfc2a144_o.jpg
    8810958818_0ddfc2a144_o.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 23
  • ku-xlarge.jpg
    ku-xlarge.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 65

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
If it is a real product, I hope it's like the pebble steel. It needs to have long Battery life, notifications and apps like the pebble steel.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
A nice retina display, FaceTime capabilities with at least an 8MP camera, a longer than 24hour battery, pairing options that blow Samsung and Pebble out of the water.

All put in an Apple fashion, with diamond cut edges.

The pictures I attached - I would buy this watch in a heartbeat!

Anyone else?

I like this look and I would also buy it in a heartbeat. I would like to be able to make and answer calls with my iWatch along with many other things already suggested.

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Nothing. I think it's a novelty that'll sell really well when it first releases, then it'll taper off and turn into more of a novelty item that everyone realizes they don't want or need. It could be great for exercise, but I don't see much more use besides that.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

I used to agree 100 percent but after getting into activity monitoring devices I started thinking how much could be improved.

First off let me say that if you asked me a year ago, I would not want or see a need for an iWatch. Now I can definitely see the use. With so many activity monitoring services available it makes sense for apple to join the party. I currently own a fit it and love it however I can see the need for improvement as well as advancement in this area. Kne key thought is this should NOT BE A SMARTPHONE...

The possibilities of an iWatch are many, however in think fitness will play a major role here. If apple can get a hold of some great tracking capabilities they can incorporate many of the current technologies. However apple will need to advance their abilities to be competitive. For instance, if apple wants to create a built in health app, they need to consider ALL the ways people incorporate a healthy living style. This means not only tracking steps, sleep, and calories burnt, but tracking other movements, having easy ways of adding many types of activities, ways of not only monitoring food intake, but incorporating some of the most popular ways to diet such as carb diets or weight watchers. For activity tracking, it would be nice to use special timers (to time certain walks and runs), use GPS to save trails, and more intense competing options such as individual activities, several time rankings (1, 2,3 ect days) that way you can be pushed by your friends. Not only this, there should be challenges, goals, and achievements that you can share. You should also be able to control ALL info and settings from a smartphone app and easily view some on the watch. Also maybe monitor temperature if possible?

In order to truly make the iWatch useful it will need to be able to be used by other apps and third parties. Not only that but possibly other smartphone manufacturers. I own an iPhone and this it wouldn't be an issue for me, but to grow the user base apple will need to be smart on this. What apple can do is have some advantages for iPhone users such as using the m7 along with the watch to gain more types of data?

Aside from activities, the iWatch can do some things like be a simple GPS locator. For example, if I leave my iPhone or ipad somewhere, I can find them with my iWatch. I should also be able to initiate a Bluetooth call on my watch, check notifications from my iPhone, accept certain types of requests. However this device should NOT take pictures, video calls, initiate calls without a bluetooth headset, send or receive texts, emails or pictures. These are all phone activities and would drain battery.

One area that the I watch COULD be useful for is an a-wallet. This could make electronic payments easier. However, maybe the screen can be a fingerprint reader for protection?

Siri would be the main feature of the I watch and should be voice activated similarly to how the Moto x activates google now. This would allow for many features to be done without pulling out a phone or having to touch a small screen. However I do think Siri sti needs major improvements. Many times she still doesn't have answers that don't use the web, she doesn't always understand natural language and while this may sound stupid, it would be nice if it was fluid enough to understand not only your current commands but previous ones. Here's an example

Hey Siri set an alarm for me to turn in my test.

Siri confirms and you accept. Five minutes later you realize you didn't add a day or time. You then say

Siri! I forgot to add a day and time to my last reminder. Siri should then tell you your last reminder (and if that wasn't the one you wanted Siri can cycle through until it is) then you can simply edit, change or even delete.

If people weren't so freaked out about devices constantly listening I would say that it would be cool if Siri could remember conversations and if you say forgot something someone said, you could ask Siri.

Anyway the main points are, an I watch should
be advanced sports gear
Stylish
Have great companion apps on smartphones
Be an advanced digital assistant (Siri 2.0)
Show basic info like notifications, weather, health stats and time
Have basic functionality like initiating bluetooth calls or using gps tracker to find things
NOT BE A SNARTPHONE
Be water proof
Possibly be e-wallet (maybe a fingerprint scanner on screen or even just a pin you type on the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Oh and I'd also like to add remote functionality. For example, I can stop, skip or play music from an iphone, iPod, Mac or Apple TV. (And choose which one). I can also have certain app controls such as turning on spotify on my phone or starting airplay from my phone and controlling it via watch.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Great post, Richard. I agree with you and I think your list at the end is spot on. Remote control of music would be handy too.

I was toying with getting a Galaxy Gear to go with my Note 3 but I think they have loaded it with too much. A camera and a phone, albeit directly linked to the smartphone itself, isn't a terribly good idea on a watch, in my opinion. I may buy one once/if they drop the price down from the frankly ridiculous ?299 here in the UK to a price about a third of that.

SockRolid

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Agree that battery life needs to be amazing. "Never needs charging" would be the Holy Grail here.

A little birdie told me that he or she went to a demo of the Moto 360 on the Google campus the other day. It does actually have that round display, and it supposedly has biomechanical charging (and perhaps one or two other charging mechanisms that weren't discussed.) Not earth-shattering, because the Seiko and Citizen watches of the world have had human motion-powered charging for decades. An extension of the old self-winding spring technology.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Agree that battery life needs to be amazing. "Never needs charging" would be the Holy Grail here.

A little birdie told me that he or she went to a demo of the Moto 360 on the Google campus the other day. It does actually have that round display, and it supposedly has biomechanical charging (and perhaps one or two other charging mechanisms that weren't discussed.) Not earth-shattering, because the Seiko and Citizen watches of the world have had human motion-powered charging for decades. An extension of the old self-winding spring technology.

Yes my Rolexes and my Citizens all have a form of 'kinetic winding' and it's a brilliant function. If the Moto 360 has it too then I am doubly sold on that watch to go with my Android phone.

If the iWatch looked like a watch, rather than a square lump on a strap like the picture on page one, then I would buy it. I much prefer watches with a round dial and the Moto doesn't have any ports and is water resistant too. If you add in the mechanical winding from your post then it seems perfect on the hardware front; I just hope the software lives up to the bar set by the hardware.

If the iWatch was similar in form to the Moto 360 then I would get it to go with my iPhone immediately it becomes available. Currently the watches that are compatible with iOS are all incredibly lacklustre in form and function, in my opinion. I feel that the Pebble and Pebble Steel both look like a throwback to the 80s, for instance, and we've moved on a long way from that.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Talking about Apple, I would assume that the iWatch (or whatever) it is called will be strongly integrated with the other systems making it part of the ecosystem.
Some examples:
1. The watch will help remind me that my favorite show is starting and by just touching the screen it will program the AppleTV to launch the same.
2. A birthday or anniversary reminder, that automatically orders a card from the iPhoto library tied to the iPhone
3. Remote functionality for AppleTV
4. Act as password for the iPhone and iPad

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
If the iwatch is health monitoring only, I won't care. I've bought enough of those and none of them have been useful. If the iwatch is like android wear, I will buy it on launch day.

nason54

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what I would want on a smart watch especially the iwatch. I mean if it only does health monitoring and send you notifications, it's not really special at all. However, Apple might bring something new to industry but I just can't figure out what.

Sent from my awesome iPhone 5, soon to be 6 later this year.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73