Apple Watch Series 3 straps & bands

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
What sort of straps do you think we'll see with the Apple Watch Series 3? Anything new? Chances are Apple will take the Series 3 launch as an opportunity to debut some new accessories...

What do you think?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
James, all I care is that existing straps still fit.

I want that too. I'd like to see some additional metal bands. I like the idea of additional battery or storage in a band, but can't think of anything else I'd want, at the moment.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I'd like to see Apple bring back the other leather loop colors. I understand the rationale of SKU management, but still, a few more colors would be nice. At least bring back black!

The other strap I think Apple needs is something decidedly more elegant to go with the ceramic Watch Edition. I simply do not understand why the stock band for the "flagship" watch is a simple sports band. It doesn't have to be as upscale as the Hermes, but something like a white leather classic buckle would make more sense to me.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Rumors are saying that the haptic engine of the AW3 will be moved to the band (smart strap) in order to make the AW3 thinner.

Not surprised by this considering the introduction of the lightning plug back in the day, and no headphone jack today.

Apple has a history of making your accessories obsolete every few years.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Apple Watch Series 3 straps & bands

Apple has a history of making your accessories obsolete every few years.

'Obsolete is a relative term. I've never had an Apple product stop working because a new version shipped.

More to the point, putting the Taptic engine in bands would mean every band would be thicker and have to have an engine it.The Watch would have to be redesigned to power the engine. It's Apple so I'm sure it's doable and have even been prototyped; it just doesn't seem likely to me. Probably more likely than a round Watch with interchangeable bands.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Apple Watch Series 3 straps & bands

'Obsolete is a relative term. I've never had an Apple product stop working because a new version shipped.

More to the point, putting the Taptic engine in bands would mean every band would be thicker and have to have an engine it.The Watch would have to be redesigned to power the engine. It's Apple so I'm sure it's doable and have even been prototyped; it just doesn't seem likely to me. Probably more likely than a round Watch with interchangeable bands.

Obsolete doesnt mean the product stopped working, it means (or I meant it to mean) is that the product isnt useful. Example being a 4S charger after the 5 came out. Or a headphone set that isnt lightning compatible and so on and so on.

However, sometimes change is good eh?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

Obsolete doesnt mean the product stopped working, it means (or I meant it to mean) is that the product isnt useful. Example being a 4S charger after the 5 came out. Or a headphone set that isnt lightning compatible and so on and so on.

However, sometimes change is good eh?

I understand what you are trying to say, though my iPhone 4S dock, charging cable or other peripherals using the 30 pin connector aren't all useless. I can still use them with the lightning adaptor. In fact, I can still use my original iPod Nano 1G dock with my iPhone 6S.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
With the amount of bands that Apple has been selling and changing colors every season, if they changed the lug design with the Watch 3 I think they would lose a lot of watch sales. Is someone who bought $$$ worth of bands re-buy them to change to the new hardware? Probably not, unless the new hardware has some amazing, ridiculous new features.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
bamf-hacker said:
Is someone who bought $$$ worth of bands re-buy them to change to the new hardware? Probably not, unless the new hardware has some amazing, ridiculous new features.

Apple isn't shy about changing a aspect of a product to suit their purpose or philosophy regardless of customer wishes. There's the ADB port/ADC for Macs/30-pin/Lightning Port/USB-C port/missing headphone jack moves, to name just a few.

Having the same bands fit multiple generations of Watches certainly works in Apple's favor as a selling point. And continuing to offer new bands means freshening up the look of both a customer's old and new hardware. Money.

But Apple would certainly change the mounting lugs if they felt it made for an improved experience/feature. Cynics would say it's about the $$.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
That is true, but most of the time they change connectors after they have exhausted the accessory market or if they have a very god need to. If they change the lugs I would suspect a lot of current Watch users will not upgrade to a new device because of the investment they have made in bands.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner