A 'New' Convert

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, a while back I suppose some of you might remember the case of my original AW having its rear sensor panel dislodging and went through some trouble with Apple before they replaced my 'just-out-of-warranty' AW.

So just after the first replacement, being the replacement warranty is 3 months, the rear panel dislodged again and I sent it back for another replacement. After this, the SAME happened AGAIN just before the 3 months warranty expired and off it goes again for another replacement.

So after all these trips to the service centre (the last one was November 2016) and it's been good so far, always waiting for a few minutes before removing the watch from its charging stand by sliding it off instead (as suggested by someone here) UNTIL this morning, the rear sensor panel came off again after sliding off from the charging stand.

I told myself that's it! Hence, I went to purchase a new 42mm stainless steel Series 2 AW (with white sport band) and burnt a hole in my wallet. In fact I told myself it's not viable for me to upgrade to the Series 2 since I don't swim with watches and the GPS feature is not what I expected as it's used primarily for running. So I was 'forced' to change to the Series 2 as I wanted the stainless steel model and Series 1 doesn't have them.

Apologies for the long story, but anyone here have anymore issues with the rear sensor panel dislodging for the Series 2?

TIA.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Wow you've really had bad luck with your rear panel. I've got an original Apple Watch and haven't had that issue...

I'm always mindful of how I slide it off. Slide it straight off to the side, never lift straight up, and never when the watch is hot (always after a full overnight charge) rather than a quick charge where the watch gets quite warm, which can loosen the glue.

I'm hopeful you get some better luck with this one! I bet it has been very frustrating!

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Wow you've really had bad luck with your rear panel. I've got an original Apple Watch and haven't had that issue...

I'm always mindful of how I slide it off. Slide it straight off to the side, never lift straight up, and never when the watch is hot (always after a full overnight charge) rather than a quick charge where the watch gets quite warm, which can loosen the glue.

I'm hopeful you get some better luck with this one! I bet it has been very frustrating!

Yes thanks Robert, my AW's always on a stand (Spigen S350) and in Nightstand mode so sliding off is only one way - straight up. It really is extremely frustrating after going to and from the service center and having its replacement sets (probably refurbished) having the panel constantly dislodging after some time.

I really hope this new series 2 can hold up better, especially if it's water resistant rated to 50m and I always wash my AW under a running tap after every wear.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Your story makes me wonder whether you're are getting a replacement each time or just the same watch after an ineffective repair. I just cannot imagine that many different watches having the same problem. I've had one friend had the problem you describe (with an original series). Apple gave her a new watch and she hasn't had a problem since.

By the way, I've never given a thought to how I remove my watch from the stand. I just lift it off.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Your story makes me wonder whether you're are getting a replacement each time or just the same watch after an ineffective repair. I just cannot imagine that many different watches having the same problem. I've had one friend had the problem you describe (with an original series). Apple gave her a new watch and she hasn't had a problem since.

By the way, I've never given a thought to how I remove my watch from the stand. I just lift it off.

Good thought -- make a note of the Serial Number in your watch app.

Watch app > General > About

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site

Yes that's a very good suggestion tcuprof, never thought of that in the first place.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
tcuprof said:
. I just cannot imagine that many different watches having the same problem.

Every manufacturer, including Apple, has had a run of products with a factory defect. It's usually limited to a very small percentage but sometimes leads to a recall, sometimes official, sometimes not.

Since the internals are pretty much identical within a given category if not across categories, the possibility doesn't surprise me.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
OK, that eliminates that idea then :)

So it might just be sheer bad luck, but really hope it'll not happen to my new S2.

Anyway wore it for the first time today. Comparing battery life on my first gen AW from 100% before I go to work around 0740hrs, using it to clock activity, control music volume and skips on Spotify, breathe activity and the usual notifications and message, by the time I reached home around 1800hrs the batt life was already around 54%. The same for the S2 was at 77%!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods