Aluminium Or Stainless Steel AW2

vegas33139

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys I'm on the verge of treating my self to an AW2.

Can anyone give me feedback on whether the stainless tell AW is worth the £200 more than the aluminium one?

Is the difference purely aesthetic and/or strength?

Many thanks.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
There are folks here who love the SS. I wish I wasn't so cheap bc then I'd spring for it. I love the look of it. The SS glass is more scratch resistant but I haven't had any issues with my aluminum.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It's mostly aesthetic but the SS also has a sapphire crystal display that's more resistant to scratching. The trade off here is that the display on the Sport model is a little brighter.

I bought the SS simply because I wanted the higher end look.

vegas33139

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm pretty careful with my Apple products so I think I will go for the Aluminium AW2. £200 is a lot of money for us peasants in the UK. To save a bit more dosh, I am also going to order the Milanese loop band from Gadget.co.uk for £17!

A friend has one and there really isn't a great difference. It looks exactly like the official Apple Milanese band.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I went with the Black Apple Stainless Steel Watch because....well, because it looks AWESOME!!! Good Luck with your decision.
fee51ebf08553a40cbc43be2a287e284.jpg

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I just got an AL one today. I figure that I'm going to put the watch in a Catalyst case anyhow. I also figured I may want to upgrade if the series 3, and I can justify the lesser expense of the AL casing and then sell it on a eBay if I choose to upgrade. I can justify spending $$$ on a watch I'll have for 10-20 years or more. I figure the technology I'm smart watches is relatively new and will continue developing. I figure that in 2-3 years or less, I'll want a new Apple Watch.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Is the difference purely aesthetic and/or strength?

Yes.

Is it worth the price difference? Only you can answer that. My first AW is a SS. I love it. It's a brilliant dress and semi-dress Watch depending on the bands you use.

However— if you are a little tough on watches and/or want to use a bumper/case to protect your Watch, I'd say don't get SS. It scratches easily and to my eye, diminishes the beauty of the Watch. I've managed to reduce them somewhat, but it may take a buffing wheel and some skill to restore the pristine finish. If you consider scratches and wear part of the price of wearing a watch, don't spend the extra dough on SS.

The aluminum lineup is much more forgiving where light scratches are concerned. By definition, it will dent easier than SS, but I haven't seen any mention yet of someone denting their Al Watch. As mentioned the SS' sapphire crystal is more scratch resistant than the Al's Ion-X glass. I've yet to see any rampant mentions of people breaking or scratching either.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have them both and the Aluminum watch is significantly lighter, but the display on the SS watch is more durable.

I use the SS as my daily driver as the weight does not bother me, but my wife on the other hand prefers the aluminum watches weight.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative