Series 2 water proof

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting the series 2 watch but is it safe in the shower with soap and ect? Has anyone used it much during showers ? Can the water and soap cause damage

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to assume that waterproof doesn't include fully showering or bathing including soap and etc. Who would fully shower with their timepiece on... any timepiece for that matter?

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Should be fine in the shower ... but why? I can't imagine wearing a watch in the shower.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I wear mine in the shower everyday. It serves a few purposes for me, 1- I clean the watch and band with soap to get the gym sweat and yuck off, 2- So I can keep an eye on the time and make sure I am on schedule to get out of the house.

Put the watch in water mode by swiping up and tapping the water drop icon in control center. Then when you are done with your shower spin the digital crown to eject the water. Also make sure to take the watch off and dry it and your wrist ??????

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting the series 2 watch but is it safe in the shower with soap and ect? Has anyone used it much during showers ? Can the water and soap cause damage

Tim Cook had said a couple of times that he showered while wearing his AW (which was the first generation of Watches) with no problems. The AWS2, waterproof to 50m, should be just fine.

Water getting into the water can cause damage, and soap can help water get into a watch. But again, the S2 is waterproof to 50m. However, you don't want soap building up and clogging the speaker and mic ports, so it would probably be a good idea to a) gently rinse the Watch in clear water and purge the speaker port or b) follow Darla's showering regimen and just not wear the watch.

I'm going to assume that waterproof doesn't include fully showering or bathing including soap and etc. Who would fully shower with their timepiece on... any timepiece for that matter?

I did so for many, many years. The watch (not Watch) only came off for regular cleaning. Having it was an essential, integral part of my job. Being out and about without it could be a— complication. lol That was then.

BTW- cute avatar.

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks lol I've always showered with my watches, it's good to know what the the time is if I end up taking to long or seeing if I got a important new message or something, how's the screen sensativity in the shower?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
When you enable the water mode on the Watch the screen is disabled. Raise to wake still works though.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
And if you don't enable the 'water mode' screen sensitivity sucks. The water mode exists to keep the screen from possibly receiving false data input.

Put a drop of water on your Watch screen and move it around with the Watch awake. You won't hurt the Watch but see what happens.

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
And if you don't enable the 'water mode' screen sensitivity sucks. The water mode exists to keep the screen from possibly receiving false data input.

Put a drop of water on your Watch screen and move it around with the Watch awake. You won't hurt the Watch but see what happens.

So on water mode the screen sensativity is pretty good ?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
But it wakes when you raise your arm so doesn't it then work after ?

In water mode, the screen doesn't sense touch until you turn the digital crown to unlock water mode (which blasts some beeps through the speaker to eject any water that may be in the speaker opening.)

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Water on the Watch display may cause erratic operation of the screen. You can choose to enable or not enable the 'water modes' Pool Swim or Open Water Swim. You probably won't use either while showering.

I haven't showered while wearing a Watch because I use that time to charge it, so take this with a grain... The Watch should operate normally as far as displaying time, alerts, notifications, etc. Water on the screen, or soapy water, may interfere with screen navigation. The digital crown and wake button should function normally.

When you're done showering, you should probably rinse the Watch with clear water. Purge and repeat.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
If you're worried about soapy water damaging your Apple Watch then I'd suggest it's your soap that you need to change; if it can rot or damage the watch then it's probably not great for skin either! I wear my AW in the bath and in the shower, sometimes I think to lock othe screen, other times I don't. I don't do any rinsing rituals afterwards and it's fine.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
If you're worried about soapy water damaging your Apple Watch then I'd suggest it's your soap that you need to change; if it can rot or damage the watch then it's probably not great for skin either!

I doubt most people use a soap anywhere near that harsh. But the problem generally wouldn't be corrosive damage but possible soap buildup filling the ports and interfering with screen navigation.

So pretty much after the soap is washed off, just rinse in the water

Yep. And a separate rinse might not be required, but soap buildup in those tiny ports might be tough to remove. That's just a consideration, not necessarily a likelihood.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro