Had to reset my Apple Watch... TWICE! :(

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey all. Have had a weird issue happen to me a few times now.

Both times, after a workout, I ran my Apple Watch under water to give it a quick rinse. After that, I try to activate that fancy speaker trick to clear out all the water, and, well, the watch wouldn't let me back in. I punch in my code, and it takes me back to the lock screen. It's an endless loop and won't let me in.

Also, curiously, even though my phone was nearby it wasn't connected to my phone (little red icon at the top of the display). Not sure what happened, but I was forced to reset my Apple watch to factory, and I did lose a lot of my workout data.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this before? I mean, 98% of the time it's fine, but once and awhile things have been a little glitchy. Restarts didn't do anything, couldn't unlock the watch, and it wouldn't find my phone either :/

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I only had to reset my Watch once because there was a bug with my recent phone calls showing after I erased them from my iPhone 7. After I reset it it's been fine since then.

I don't do any workouts nor do I put water on my Watch. I know it's water resistant to 50m but I don't want to risk it!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Both times, after a workout, I ran my Apple Watch under water to give it a quick rinse. After that, I try to activate that fancy speaker trick to clear out all the water, and, well, the watch wouldn't let me back in. I punch in my code, and it takes me back to the lock screen. It's an endless loop and won't let me in.

Also, curiously, even though my phone was nearby it wasn't connected to my phone (little red icon at the top of the display). Not sure what happened, but I was forced to reset my Apple watch to factory, and I did lose a lot of my workout data.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this before? I mean, 98% of the time it's fine, but once and awhile things have been a little glitchy. Restarts didn't do anything, couldn't unlock the watch, and it wouldn't find my phone either :/

If you had gotten the 1st-generation Watch, you wouldn't be dealing with those issues...(laughing)...Just kiddin'. Seriously though, I have not dealt with anything like that to this point. Heck, I don't even remember the last time I reset my Watch.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
No, never had that happen.

Is it locking up while the watch is on your wrist or are you taking it off to rinse it?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

Today, for some strange reason, my series 2 watch has required a reboot 3 times. I think one of the weather apps I have is the problem. I may remove that app and reinstall it, which might fix it.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
scruffypig said:
Both times, after a workout, I ran my Apple Watch under water to give it a quick rinse.

Given that running the Watch under water was common to both times, I'd get thee to an Apple Store if at all possible. Get this documented so that if it goes Toes Up after your warranty expires, you might not be left out in the cold.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
My watch is doing this right now, showing the disconnected symbol despite being about 3 inches away from my phone. I'm gradually becoming less enamoured with my Apple Watch

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen that with my AW at all. I've used the fancy water ejector thing a few times to clean things up when my Digital Crown starts sticking. So when you say "reset", @jamesfalconer, do you mean you set up as new, or just force start it?

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
My Watch has been acting fine since I reset it a few weeks ago. Got two new bands (Black Sport 42mm and Black Woven Nylon 42mm) which are nice and comfortable. I don't like the Nike band that came with my Watch because it has too many holes that leave marks in my skin.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
My Watch has been acting fine since I reset it a few weeks ago. Got two new bands (Black Sport 42mm and Black Woven Nylon 42mm) which are nice and comfortable. I don't like the Nike band that came with my Watch because it has too many holes that leave marks in my skin.

My Nike band doesn't leave any marks on me. Are you wearing it too tight? You should sell your Nike band if you don't like it. There will be people that want to buy it.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
My Nike band doesn't leave any marks on me. Are you wearing it too tight? You should sell your Nike band if you don't like it. There will be people that want to buy it.

I'm not going to sell the band. I just won't wear it as much as the other two. Right now I'm wearing the Woven Nylon band and starting tomorrow until Sunday I'll wear the Black Sport band. When I get back home I'll wear the Nike band a bit.

The Woven Nylon is for fancier outfits, Black Sport is for casual settings, and Nike band is for heavy exercise or when I'm wearing Nike shoes.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Mine showed disconnected again this morning but flicking Bluetooth and Wifi off and on in control centre on the phone fixed it. A lot quicker than restarting the watch

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried to hard reset the Watch before doing the nuke and pave? Press and hold the Digital Crown and the dock button at the same time until the Apple logo comes up. That will clear everything out of memory so you might want to reopen apps that you want to be updated in the background on the watch.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR