Buying my first apple watch

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm thinking about buying an Apple Watch probably for the heck of it. I haven't worn a watch since my timex in the late 60s. I drive a delivery truck and work in a warehouse, which Watch do you suggest for protection against scratches and bumps. I tend to bump into things sometimes for no reason. I'm also thinking about the AirPods too.

Not sure with one to get or get both of them. Have to think about it.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'd just go for the sport model. You should give it a try and see if you like it. You can always return it within the return window if it doesn't work out.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'd just go for the sport model. You should give it a try and see if you like it. You can always return it within the return window if it doesn't work out.

Yes, this. I think the 'Sport' name is now relegated to the bands, and the Watch is now just 'Aluminum'. But I agree the entry price is more reasonable 'for the heck of it' purchase. I think the Aluminum actually resists scuffs better than the Stainless and if you elect to keep the Watch a case won't scratch it. I'd look at screen protectors to, given your tendency to bump into things.

And start with the Series 1 since waterproofing and GPS don't seem to be mandatory for you. Again, it's cheaper.

The S2's sapphire crystal is very hard and very resistant to scratching, but can break under sufficient impact. The Series 1's X-ion glass is less likely to break under impacts that would damage the S2, but would scratch more easily than the S2 but not easily in general.

Cases and screen protectors are generally cheap insurance if you feel you need it.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The AirPods? I tried them at the Apple Store and now have them on order. A must have in my opinion, assuming they fit you well.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
The Apple Watch Sports has a cheaper screen, but is more bump resistant.
The Stainless Steel Watch has sapphire glass, which is more scratch resistant but easier to break if you bump into something.
I think in your case the Apple Watch Sports is the better choice.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes, this. I think the 'Sport' name is now relegated to the bands, and the Watch is now just 'Aluminum'. But I agree the entry price is more reasonable 'for the heck of it' purchase. I think the Aluminum actually resists scuffs better than the Stainless and if you elect to keep the Watch a case won't scratch it. I'd look at screen protectors to, given your tendency to bump into things.

And start with the Series 1 since waterproofing and GPS don't seem to be mandatory for you. Again, it's cheaper.

The S2's sapphire crystal is very hard and very resistant to scratching, but can break under sufficient impact. The Series 1's X-ion glass is less likely to break under impacts that would damage the S2, but would scratch more easily than the S2 but not easily in general.

Cases and screen protectors are generally cheap insurance if you feel you need it.

True. Alumnium, not Sport. :) I kind of got used to calling it Sport.

I haven't had any problems with my two S0 and S2 aluminum AWs. They've resisted bumps and look near perfect. Not a single scratch on the screen.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm not necessarily "bumping" into things. It's when you work in a warehouse and do deliveries you tend to bump your arms into things like boxes or maybe shelves trying to get things.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'd be thinking more about S1 vs S2 because they could all take some damage.

An associate for a project I'm on this week did hers 'n his watches just as my wife and I did and he had a great argument for their S1s just like we did for S2s. For most daily stuff they're much the same. Look at if you want the GPS without your phone, and if you'll be doing activities i water.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'd be thinking more about S1 vs S2 because they could all take some damage.

An associate for a project I'm on this week did hers 'n his watches just as my wife and I did and he had a great argument for their S1s just like we did for S2s. For most daily stuff they're much the same. Look at if you want the GPS without your phone, and if you'll be doing activities i water.

Exactly. If you want or need GPS or to use it for swim, go to S2, otherwise S1. I don't personally find the S2 screen that much brighter. I never had issues reading the screen on my S0.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
The S2's sapphire crystal is very hard and very resistant to scratching, but can break under sufficient impact.

I figure any blow that would break the sapphire crystal would probably also break my wrist, so the watch wouldn't be my biggest concern. :cool:

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
CePsraFXEAAEzcC.jpg:large

:D

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Talking about AirPods I haven't even ordered mine yet. It looks like your looking at about 7 weeks now. Trying to look at apple stores in my area to see at 8 am if they have any in stock that I can reserve.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Trying to look at apple stores in my area to see at 8 am if they have any in stock that I can reserve.

Good luck with that. Most stores get a spotty supply at best that doesn't last the day. My guess is the Apple associates aren't allowed to reserve these, but if you can get someone to, great!

My local store told me UPS gets there before noon so not to wait too much longer after that. I'd be there before the truck. But then they don't get them on a daily basis, so luck plays a huge part.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Talking about AirPods I haven't even ordered mine yet. It looks like your looking at about 7 weeks now. Trying to look at apple stores in my area to see at 8 am if they have any in stock that I can reserve.

I used this site to get alerts. I got an alert that my local Apple Store had them in stock at about 11am one morning and I jumped on the app, reserved them and picked them up at lunch that day.

https://airpods.isinstock.com/locations

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Good luck with that. Most stores get a spotty supply at best that doesn't last the day. My guess is the Apple associates aren't allowed to reserve these, but if you can get someone to, great!

My local store told me UPS gets there before noon so not to wait too much longer after that. I'd be there before the truck. But then they don't get them on a daily basis, so luck plays a huge part.

I used this site to get alerts. I got an alert that my local Apple Store had them in stock at about 11am one morning and I jumped on the app, reserved them and picked them up at lunch that day.

https://airpods.isinstock.com/locations

It seems difficult to find them in recent few weeks. I have a regular relationship with the business team at Apple Store near me. Even that red carpet does not help. The business team reps have had candor saying very few show up, not often, and they go to retail sales fast.

Mine finally showed up. I suggest doing an order with the store app or online because they clearly updated by order status as time passed, you can cancel, and you see when they ship.

Now on to more use to see if they're indeed keepers - my first run with them.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Let us know how the first run goes!

I did a round of exercise (stretch, calisthenics, planks, stuff) and ran the 1.4 mi circle around a pond in the neighborhood. I'm pleased to say they stayed in and work well for calls. I'm sure they look silly but the function is tremendous.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
My guess is the Apple associates aren't allowed to reserve these

Erratum: I got an email saying the AirPods were in stock and to reserve them. Of course you do so by ordering them online, paying for them, and if desired pick them up at a Store near you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen