Bestbuy Open-Box - Burned Again

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Took a chance and ordered an Open-Box AW2. Got it today.... and sure enough, just the the Series 0 before, the watch was locked to the previous buyer's iCloud account.

Both watches looked brand new... but were a no go because BB did not check to see if the watch was unregistered from the previous buyer.

Oh well.... back it goes.

#lessonlearnedneveragain

JML5150

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
If you want Open box stuff at a good price, try B&H Photo. no tax and free shipping... Got my wife's 42MM Series 0 for $249 this time last year. We couldn't tell that it had been a returned item.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like a nice little free upgrade plan someone has got from Best Buy - buy a new item, pop your original in the box and return it and you have a free upgrade (mail order shoplifting would be another way of describing it so I'm not endorsing it!!!)

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a nice little free upgrade plan someone has got from Best Buy - buy a new item, pop your original in the box and return it and you have a free upgrade (mail order shoplifting would be another way of describing it so I'm not endorsing it!!!)

It was a AW2. I have heard of people doing this though.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
(mail order shoplifting would be another way of describing it

As would be mail fraud, if it in fact is done via USPS. UPS, it's just fraud, at best.

does Apple sell open-box watches? If so, they might be a more reliable source.

No, they stopped doing that years ago. All returns go back to Apple. Now, once they're gone over, they're now sold as Refurbished aka 'refurbs' via the store. Usually the discounts for refurbs aren't that great and prices close to a tax-free resellers' New price. Selection is also somewhat slim and ephemeral for certain products.

Having bought Apple refurbs in the past, where the price makes sense, I have absolutely no qualms when buying. They are usually indistinguishable from New stock. Only the lack of retail packaging would give it away.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I purchased mine new on ebay and couldn't be happier. Also Target had the series 1 on sale. Unsure if still on sale or not. But the series 1 is a nice watch too

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
As would be mail fraud, if it in fact is done via USPS. UPS, it's just fraud, at best.

No, they stopped doing that years ago. All returns go back to Apple. Now, once they're gone over, they're now sold as Refurbished aka 'refurbs' via the store. Usually the discounts for refurbs aren't that great and prices close to a tax-free resellers' New price. Selection is also somewhat slim and ephemeral for certain products.

Having bought Apple refurbs in the past, where the price makes sense, I have absolutely no qualms when buying. They are usually indistinguishable from New stock. Only the lack of retail packaging would give it away.

+1 for Apple refurbs. They're top notch.