How would you improve the next generation of the Apple Watch

Betterist

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I think having a light in the watch that you could turn on in control center.
I also think it would be nice to have a feature that would alert you when you're leaving your phone rather than just ping it when its lost.
It would be nice to be able to have something similar happen with tiles or tile like bluetooth trackers too so that every time I might be leaving something it ask me am I forgetting something.
Sometimes I wish the buzzing of the alerts was more forceful.
There has to be a better way to organize the grid of apps.
There has to be a better way to communicate turn by turn through touch.
I would pay more for a bigger watch with a bigger battery.

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Would be great if scribble was available more widely and not only for english :(

I also thought about a light function, but it's kindof odd if you have to aim at something because of the position of the watch.
getting out of range of your phone might be nice, but on the other hand, you don't want to care if your connected over bluetooth or WIFI, that transition should go smoothly. But if you don't have wifi but completely loose contact with your phone, an alert might be nice!

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
One thing I'd like (that isn't likely to happen) is to have 2 more physical buttons on the blank side of the watch. If you're outside and exercising in the rain (or swimming I suppose) then touch screen doesn't work well (or at all) so I'd like some physical buttons that always work that could be mapped to say the start/stop button on your exercise app and some other function that would vary by app.

Beyond that I'm pretty happy as it is and it's a few software changes, such as faster access to "Now Playing" that would make It even better

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I want to see something now that I have AirPods, and it can be done in software :). I want to have a now playing complication to get to the volume and pause button quicker.

Other than that, I am happy with the S2 watch.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I want laser beams! I want to make julienne fries! But I'll settle for a Find My Watch app and an RF leash between the phone and Watch.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I have ideas for Watch OS3 such as better stats for the Workout app, but I have no suggestions for hardware.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
An Apple Watch that actually looks and feels like a traditional watch. I look at the Apple Watch and don't see something I should spend $300+ on. The build quality of this watch (Samsung Gear S3) is worth that type of money. The price of the watch shouldn't just depend on the materials and how expensive the band is, it should depend on the design as well, and for that reason I'm not going to buy an Apple Watch until I can find one for around $100-150 since I think that's how much its actually worth.
Apple really needs to step up the design. The internals are cool and all, but at the end of the day I want a good looking watch. That's why I'm hoping they make a circular watch next year, with a more rugged design.

gear-s3-1472660126-aQvi-column-width-inline.jpg

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I don't care about being square, but I would like an action version, totally waterproof to 100ft/30mt, more physical buttons as already said, the light is good to have, once I was in a Cave (I do some speleology) and the only light left was the light of the screen from a Casio G-series and was perfect.

Also I will love some dual hand option, I mean, you using two smartwatches, one on each wrist in order to track more info, of course not at that price for each of it, maybe the second one will be just the tracker or something.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The build quality of this watch (Samsung Gear S3) is worth that type of money.

So is the Apple Watch. Build quality and design are two different things. Related, interdependent, but two different things. Build quality isn't really the issue then, it's design— round vs rectangular. Traditionally, there are been rectangular watches for about as long as there has been round ones. I don't mind the lack of traditional band lugs as I like the option of conveniently changing bands. But I'd like to see Apple make a round watch, and rectangular faces for the current line up.

As good as the build quality of the S3 may be, it's not a particularly attractive watch. It is round, but that bezel looks cheap. The Classic version looks a little— unfinished to me with it's overuse of brushed metal. The Frontier is a nicer looking watch, much of that due to the watch face. I don't know if it's any more rugged than the Classic, but it's nice looking.

once I was in a Cave (I do some speleology) and the only light left was the light of the screen from a Casio G-series and was perfect.

I'm no spelunker, but before you'd get me into a cave, I'd have a bandolier of flashlights and batteries. If it got down to needing my Watch for light, then shame on me. People have used their iPhones to escape unlit buildings. Most people don't go to work with a flashlight in their suit. A friend does underwater cave diving and no mistakes are allowed, so maybe I'm overthinking this.

I'd like to see an Apple Watch that looks more like an action, if for style and change in feature set if nothing else. I probably won't ever find myself at 50M underwater anymore, so shock resistance is a bigger consideration. A raised edge around the crystal for some protection against casual smacking into a doorway or the like would make me happy. Asking that of Apple might be like asking for a Tough Book-equivalent MacBook Pro.

In the end, worth is what we're willing to pay for what we get, and that can be pretty individual, and has few if any universal standards. I'm good with that.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
So is the Apple Watch. Build quality and design are two different things. Related, interdependent, but two different things. Build quality isn't really the issue then, it's design— round vs rectangular. Traditionally, there are been rectangular watches for about as long as there has been round ones. I don't mind the lack of traditional band lugs as I like the option of conveniently changing bands. But I'd like to see Apple make a round watch, and rectangular faces for the current line up.

As good as the build quality of the S3 may be, it's not a particularly attractive watch. It is round, but that bezel looks cheap. The Classic version looks a little— unfinished to me with it's overuse of brushed metal. The Frontier is a nicer looking watch, much of that due to the watch face. I don't know if it's any more rugged than the Classic, but it's nice looking.

Yeah. I kinda mixed the two words around, but I still have to politely disagree. The bezel is one of the defining features of the watch. Its like the crown of the Apple Watch, but with more utility.
Something that I forgot to add before. There are many "real" watchmakers creating watches for Android Wear and those watches look nice. However, Android Wear itself is kinda trashy at the moment. Tizen and WatchOS are really clean and intuitive. This year Samsung took some advice from people that had been designing luxury watches for years. That's something I want Apple to do as well. Instead of just following the same old design, try something different.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site

I'm no spelunker, but before you'd get me into a cave, I'd have a bandolier of flashlights and batteries. If it got down to needing my Watch for light, then shame on me. People have used their iPhones to escape unlit buildings. Most people don't go to work with a flashlight in their suit. A friend does underwater cave diving and no mistakes are allowed, so maybe I'm overthinking this.

I'd like to see an Apple Watch that looks more like an action, if for style and change in feature set if nothing else. I probably won't ever find myself at 50M underwater anymore, so shock resistance is a bigger consideration. A raised edge around the crystal for some protection against casual smacking into a doorway or the like would make me happy. Asking that of Apple might be like asking for a Tough Book-equivalent MacBook Pro.

In the end, worth is what we're willing to pay for what we get, and that can be pretty individual, and has few if any universal standards. I'm good with that.

LOL, well there is a lot of types of caves, some you can go walking and do all the way just by feeling the walls and about going underwater, I do that too, also at night.

I have my flashlights, that moment we were doing some working out/running and saw that little cave so we wanted to see what was inside, but because we were traveling light (because we do that while running in a mountain) the only source of light was the lights from our watches :)

I have some Flashlight, like 16 actually, but that was the situation at that time.

Back in topic, I also would want an hard version, something that can handle some hard conditions, but It can also be a housing or something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2