Step Counter

MJ502

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Just got a new Series 1 yesterday and am noticing that it counts steps while I am sitting down at my desk at work (arm movement I guess). Is this something that just happens or can I prevent this somehow?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Just got a new Series 1 yesterday and am noticing that it counts steps while I am sitting down at my desk at work (arm movement I guess). Is this something that just happens or can I prevent this somehow?

You are correct. It does go by the swing of your arm so depending on how much arm movement you do at your desk it will continue to happen.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Wear your Watch on your ankle?

A former girlfriend did, a small gold ladies' watch on the inside of her left ankle. When we first met, I did what any guy with no game would do— I asked her 'Do you have the time?' She said 'For the right guy, I always have the time'. We laughed a lot.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
It's an inherent problem with any wrist mounted device that tries to count steps, whether it's made by Apple, Garmin, Fitbit or anyone else. As long as you don't operate a pneumatic drill for a living then at least the figure will be in the right ball park. Earlier this year I was on a long car journey wearing my Garmin and clocked up a few thousand steps as a passenger just from vibrations from the road.
There are footpods out there that might give a more accurate figure but even they could be fooled by tapping your foot along to your favourite song.
I think it's just best to accept step count as a rough guide. If at the end of the day it's still in the hundreds then you need to move more. If it's at least a few thousand then you're heading in the right direction and much more than that is good.

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
It's an inherent problem with any wrist mounted device that tries to count steps, whether it's made by Apple, Garmin, Fitbit or anyone else. As long as you don't operate a pneumatic drill for a living then at least the figure will be in the right ball park. Earlier this year I was on a long car journey wearing my Garmin and clocked up a few thousand steps as a passenger just from vibrations from the road.
There are footpods out there that might give a more accurate figure but even they could be fooled by tapping your foot along to your favourite song.
I think it's just best to accept step count as a rough guide. If at the end of the day it's still in the hundreds then you need to move more. If it's at least a few thousand then you're heading in the right direction and much more than that is good.

This is very true, however, I've had the Garmin Fenix 3 HR, Fitbit Surge, Charge HR along with the Basic Peak and Jawbone UP 3 and have found the AW far better at NOT counting false steps than any of the above mentioned watches. Is it perfect? No, of course not, but in my experience it's been pretty darn good at counting footsteps. Also track a walk of twenty minutes or so of an outdoor walk with GPS and it's really good with measuring indoor walking distance, pretty much spot on in my experience.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods