View charge % while charging

SamNatale

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Is there a way to see the % of charge while the watch is charging without unlocking?

If you're talking about just looking at your watch, I'm not sure. I think there are a couple third party apps that will give you that info.

But your iPhone has a battery widget that shows the % charge for both devices, you could simply look there.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Is there a way to see the % of charge while the watch is charging without unlocking?
It's low tech, but if you just lift the watch up off the charge for a sec or two then put it back, the percentage will be displayed. It's slightly faster than unlocking the Watch.

But your iPhone has a battery widget that shows the % charge for both devices, you could simply look there.
Then there's that. Possibly even faster than the Lift/Look method, and it works even if you're in a different room than your Watch (assuming your phone is handy).

And finally (I think) if you have the Battery complication on a Watch face, just tap it and Bob's your uncle.

Otherwise the display is off while charging, except when awakened or when an alarm goes off. I don't know that Apple has given third-party devs access to the display API at that level.

gbold3

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the info. It just seems so obvious that you should be able to tap the screen of your watch as it is charging to see if it is complete or needs to stay charging longer.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
If you use the battery widget on your phone, it shows the battery level of all connected Bluetooth devices as well as your phone. I don't even show the percent indicator on my watch or phone but if I want to see either, the stock battery widget is the way to go.

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
If you use the battery widget on your phone, it shows the battery level of all connect Bluetooth devices as well as your phone. I don't even show the percent indicator on my watch or phone but if I want to see either, the stock battery widget is the way to go.

Yes Sir I agree...
b736f4898cbf9e43a96e18b3e1f54ad5.png

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
It just seems so obvious that you should be able to tap the screen of your watch as it is charging to see if it is complete or needs to stay charging longer.

Ok, for the part I emphasized, tapping the screen while charging provides that info. Looking at the charging indicator tells you exactly that. It doesn't give you a numerical percentage, but that's almost irrelevant. If the circle is complete, the Watch is charge. If not, it's not. That value doesn't really translate—at least easily—to time remaining. It's an analog equivalent of red for charging, green for charged.

If I could change anything related to charging, maybe I'd have the charging chime been when charging is done, and get the same chime and a notification on my phone, if I'm not near the Watch. But that's really overkill, and there are third party apps that will put a notification on the phone, such as Battery Juice. But with the Juice's 20min minimum window, I'm good with the phone's widget.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
If you use the battery widget on your phone, it shows the battery level of all connected Bluetooth devices as well as your phone. I don't even show the percent indicator on my watch or phone but if I want to see either, the stock battery widget is the way to go.

What is this battery widget? Is this a separate app? Or just part of the phone? I have never seen this! In fact I don't even see it in my list of available widgets!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
It's part of the phone OS. From the Lock Screen or with the phone unlocked, slide right and you'll see the widgets.

Last edited:

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
It's part of the phone OS. From the Lock Screen or with the phone unlocked, slide right and you'll see the widgets.

I see in the Notifications panel where I can add them, but nowhere is there a battery widget option

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
After you swipe right, scroll down to the bottom and click Edit. You'll see a new screen with the Battery and other icons. Click the green + and that or any other widgets you want will be added to the Widget panel. Your Watch will have to be paired and connected though, to see the icon.

Also, once activated, most any BT device paired and connected to your phone will show on the Battery widget.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I see in the Notifications panel

My previous 'quick start' wasn't very clear. (You're not going to Notifications. You want Widgets.)

From your Home screen, swipe right.
From the Widget area, scroll down and click Edit.
From the Add Widget panel, scroll down until you see the green + icons.
Select Batteries and any other widgets you want to add.
Click Done and Bob's your uncle.

You can start from the Lock screen; you'll just have to unlock and drill down a bit. Also, you can view Widgets without unlocking your phone.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok the part about having the Watch paired to see that widget is what I missed. Bec I don't have my watch opened and set up yet and that's probably why I don't see it

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I don't have my watch opened and set up yet and that's probably why I don't see it

That's exactly why. I added that because you mentioned previously that you hadn't open your Watch yet. You will post some pics once you do set it up, right?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
That's exactly why. I added that because you mentioned previously that you hadn't open your Watch yet. You will post some pics once you do set it up, right?

Sure will. I opened it Friday and did the screen protector and let it cure all weekend. Going to try to set it up today.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
did the screen protector and let it cure all weekend.
Please let us know how it holds up.

I've thought about getting some, just for the screen, not for the body of the Watch. However, the reviews on my go-to brands have been pretty bad, mainly that they curl and get pulled off. Maybe those people didn't let them cure.

And how are you getting on with your Watch? The SS is my favorite Watch. If I could wear only one Apple Watch, let it be Stainless Steel! :laughing:

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Please let us know how it holds up.

I've thought about getting some, just for the screen, not for the body of the Watch. However, the reviews on my go-to brands have been pretty bad, mainly that they curl and get pulled off. Maybe those people didn't let them cure.

And how are you getting on with your Watch? The SS is my favorite Watch. If I could wear only one Apple Watch, let it be Stainless Steel! :laughing:

There's a LOT to figure out and I feel like I am not figuring it out yet.... Like...

--I have my watch set to mirror most things, like Airplane Mode. But it's not. Like last night it didn't do it, and this morning it didn't either. I put Airplane Mode on when I go to bed and then turn it back off in the morning. But I had to manually disable it on my watch this morning, after manually doing it last night. I turned both the phone and watch off and restarted today, but I don't know if I have something set wrong or what. I figured out how to get rid of Stocks and News (thank the gods for deleting those stupid apps)

--What is the benefit of having "background app refresh" going for watch apps? I don't allow it for any apps besides Fantastical on my phone, so is there any reason to do so on the watch?

--My watch software is 3.1 and it says it's at the most updated. How do I update that? Do I have to connect it to the charger to get any of the changes to apply? Or is it automatic when I do something in the app?

--Also, when I "make" a new face, it doesn't seem to change on the watch very quickly even when I set the new face. Does the watch need to be on the charger for that? And how do I put new faces on it? Like is there a place to d/l new faces other people made on it? I don't see much of anything in the app store for watch... And how do I do that?

OH--Re the screen protector:
I went with Skinomis and while it looks great, I am going to redo the application with a new one. I didn't palm the edges enough bec I did it too late at night, so the very edges are not fully stuck on one corner and it's making me NUTS. So I might redo that this weekend since we won't be doing anything ON Sunday (xmas day). Or maybe on Friday I might do that after work and just let it bake for a while til we leave Saturday or whatever. I tried to tinker on Saturday with it but I think I waited to long. I have like 10 more of these things lol so I can keep doing it.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
--I have my watch set to mirror most things, like Airplane Mode. But it's not.
When mirrored, the Watch will go into Airplane mode when the phone does. But since the Watch is in Airplane mode, there's no way for it do know you've taken the phone out of it. (I hope I understood your situation correctly.)

--What is the benefit of having "background app refresh" going for watch apps? I don't allow it for any apps besides Fantastical on my phone, so is there any reason to do so on the watch?
Most Watch apps are now supposed to reside on the Watch instead of phoning home to the phone for functionality. Background refresh as you know, allows the app to 'open' already updated with the latest data. So you'd want to enable it for any apps that you did so on your phone, that have a Watch component.

--My watch software is 3.1 and it says it's at the most updated. How do I update that? Do I have to connect it to the charger to get any of the changes to apply? Or is it automatic when I do something in the app?
You have to update the wOS manually in the Watch app, select General and Software Update. It will tell you that you have to have Internet connection, your Watch has to have a 50% charge, and it has to be on it's charger.

--Also, when I "make" a new face, it doesn't seem to change on the watch very quickly even when I set the new face. Does the watch need to be on the charger for that? And how do I put new faces on it? Like is there a place to d/l new faces other people made on it? I don't see much of anything in the app store for watch... And how do I do that?

Ok. The Watch doesn't have to be on a charger, and it takes Apple to make a new face. Or template for a new face. You can't download any from anywhere. (That could change if somebody jailbreaks wOS.)

You can make a new face on the Watch or in the Watch app on the phone. It will take a short time for a new face to show up on your Watch when made in the app. The Watch doesn't need to be on the charger, but the face does have to move to the phone. Making it on the Watch is instant.

On the Watch: from your current Watch face, do a force touch and you'll see the name of the face and Customize. Swipe left alllllll the way to the right end of the face parade and you'll see the big plus sign and New. Force touch that and you'll get the first template for a face- Activity. Use the crown to scroll through the various templates until you see one you want to add. At this point, it's pretty intuitive to change colors, face designs, and complications. Force touch each complication you want to change. Use the crown to scroll through the options. You can turn an unwanted complication off if you like. When done, tap the face or the crown and Bob's your uncle.

In the app, it's a little more complicated, but apparently you've got that down.

About the screen protectors— I'm pretty careful by second nature with my Watches and watches, but I do want to use protection. It's the responsible thing to do. The curling edges seem to be the real problem with these. It should take more than overnight to 'bake'. Does your version use water to activate (old school, i guess) or is it just dry adhesive? Maybe you need to do the Mr. Miyagi thing with your hands, then palm for an extended period. Or put some folds of cloth over it and wrap in with some string or ribbon, given the holidays, and let it bake that way.

I hope these work as I'd like to cover the screens.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
When mirrored, the Watch will go into Airplane mode when the phone does. But since the Watch is in Airplane mode, there's no way for it do know you've taken the phone out of it. (I hope I understood your situation correctly.)

Most Watch apps are now supposed to reside on the Watch instead of phoning home to the phone for functionality. Background refresh as you know, allows the app to 'open' already updated with the latest data. So you'd want to enable it for any apps that you did so on your phone, that have a Watch component.

You have to update the wOS manually in the Watch app, select General and Software Update. It will tell you that you have to have Internet connection, your Watch has to have a 50% charge, and it has to be on it's charger.

Ok. The Watch doesn't have to be on a charger, and it takes Apple to make a new face. Or template for a new face. You can't download any from anywhere. (That could change if somebody jailbreaks wOS.)

You can make a new face on the Watch or in the Watch app on the phone. It will take a short time for a new face to show up on your Watch when made in the app. The Watch doesn't need to be on the charger, but the face does have to move to the phone. Making it on the Watch is instant.

On the Watch: from your current Watch face, do a force touch and you'll see the name of the face and Customize. Swipe left alllllll the way to the right end of the face parade and you'll see the big plus sign and New. Force touch that and you'll get the first template for a face- Activity. Use the crown to scroll through the various templates until you see one you want to add. At this point, it's pretty intuitive to change colors, face designs, and complications. Force touch each complication you want to change. Use the crown to scroll through the options. You can turn an unwanted complication off if you like. When done, tap the face or the crown and Bob's your uncle.

In the app, it's a little more complicated, but apparently you've got that down.

About the screen protectors— I'm pretty careful by second nature with my Watches and watches, but I do want to use protection. It's the responsible thing to do. The curling edges seem to be the real problem with these. It should take more than overnight to 'bake'. Does your version use water to activate (old school, i guess) or is it just dry adhesive? Maybe you need to do the Mr. Miyagi thing with your hands, then palm for an extended period. Or put some folds of cloth over it and wrap in with some string or ribbon, given the holidays, and let it bake that way.

I hope these work as I'd like to cover the screens.
Thank you so much for all these great answers. Perfect....

RE the screen protectors, they were wet-apply, which I am not THRILLED about, but normally I don't have issues with the edges even on curves, I just didn't take my time to palm the edges on this because I did it before bed, and was like, eh Ill deal with it tomorrow, which was stupid. I think if I do it Friday evening earlier, I will not have an issue. It's just the VERY edge on the top two corners. The other two are fine.

Cyrano

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

I really like this tip whilst charging my Apple Watch.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox