Best Apple Watch Series 2 Features

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
What are your best/favorite Apple Watch Series 2 features? Here's a shortlist of my own:

• The silicone strap (I got the plain 'ol black one. It's great, super comfy and washes off clean after a workout!)
  • GPS. For running and hiking, it's the real deal
  • Waterproofing. Love I can wear this in the pool, shower, whatever. So good.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd say the GPS feature, but more importantly, the increased speed of the device.

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Is it just me or does the Series 2 have more accurate heart rate readings than the OG Apple Watch Sport?

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Is it just me or does the Series 2 have more accurate heart rate readings than the OG Apple Watch Sport?
can't comment on the previous gen but I still have issues with the current one. Some days it's good, other days like yesterday my HR trace while running was way off. I've done a lot of running with HR strap and I know what my HR profile looks like when running, it's very consistent from run to run so I'm 100% sure that the trace yesterday was rubbish

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
The GPS is hands down the killer new feature for me. It's so nice to finally be able to run without my iPhone.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
The GPS is hands down the killer new feature for me. It's so nice to finally be able to run without my iPhone.
I'd agree with this because until this point the Apple Watch was a non-starter for me. That said, it's the whole package because I already had a GPS running watch with my Garmin. I can now track my runs, wirelessly listen to music and track my heart rate (with hit and miss accuracy) all in one compact, good looking device. It's the combination of all of those features that made the switch both possible and beneficial to me.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The GPS is hands down the killer new feature for me.

I agree though I've yet to use it and don't know if and when I will. That and waterproofing are really the biggest things that set the S2 apart from the S1.

Since I don't need either and did get an S2, if I were to get another Watch, it would be an S1. For those who don't need GPS or waterproofing, the S1 is a lot of bang for the buck. I should grabbed a Silver S1 during the recent sales. Maybe next time.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I had the original, but sold it. Now that I'm back on iOS the waterproofing is the killer feature for me. I'd get the Series 1 if it had the same level of water resistance. The extra $100 for waterproofing and brighter screen is worth it to me.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Agree 100%. And I love how you can set the speaker to shoot water out of the speaker. Seems like it actually works too. More than once I've watched water shoot out the side!

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I had an original version of the watch and upgraded exactly 53 weeks later when the series 2 came out. Main reasons are I run and swim. So the GPS and waterproofing sold me on the upgrade. The faster speed and brighter screen are nice also :yes:

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
More than once I've watched water shoot out the side!

I dunked my S2 and shook it around just so I could watch it squirt. Great fun. (I'm easily amused.) I still haven't used the GPS, but I do like having one Watch with it, just in case. Kind of like buying a distributor wrench for your ol' Chevy engine. Use it once, it's paid for itself. Use it twice, and it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
Not sure of my 'main' feature. But, oddly, I like the fact that it reminds me to stand. Plus, I have an Ergotron at work, so...

One question, for those that shower with the Apple Watch, etc.
Do you have to set the 'water' option PRIOR to going into water (shower, washing dishes, swimming, etc.)?

Or, can I get the watch wet, then use the water symbol (where you scroll up on the watch face) and select it to then extract water?

Thanks!

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
It's one of those secondary features but really well implemented is Apple Pay on the watch. I find with my phone that it used to work first time maybe about 50% of the time but a double tap on the big Watch button and it seems to work every time. I can go into the supermarket with my shopping list on my watch (I'm using Todoist at the moment) and pay without ever having to take my phone or wallet out which I like a lot.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I got my original AWs mainly for Apple Pay, since my 5s doesn't support it. All the other stuff is cool. but Apple Pay is probably the single feature on all the Watches that gives me the most pleasure.

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
...you know, I really need to try Apple Pay from my Apple Watch.

My barber asked me to use it the other day. But, I simply paid via my iPhone. Just feel a little weird raising my arm to a device to pay. Let me get it set it, so it is even available to try at some stage.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
...you know, I really need to try Apple Pay from my Apple Watch.

My barber asked me to use it the other day. But, I simply paid via my iPhone. Just feel a little weird raising my arm to a device to pay. Let me get it set it, so it is even available to try at some stage.

You should definitely get it set up. As StraightlineBoy says, it's faster and actually more reliable than using the iPhone. As always, I just wish more places would take it. I guess that will improve with time.

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
I was just messing with my watch to see which button to activate Apple Pay, and it seems I'm already setup and ready to go ;)

You should definitely get it set up. As StraightlineBoy says, it's faster and actually more reliable than using the iPhone. As always, I just wish more places would take it. I guess that will improve with time.

sgchick

Jan 1, 2017
Visit site
Agree 100%. And I love how you can set the speaker to shoot water out of the speaker. Seems like it actually works too. More than once I've watched water shoot out the side!

I haven't tried that yet...I'm still a little afraid to get it wet...hahaha..I work outside and wanted the waterproofing. Rain all week here in California, so I guess I will get to check it out. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro