Does the Series 2 still have GPS problems

Johnny Evers

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi all

I'm thinking of getting a series 2 (either normal or Nike) and have read that people are having problems with GPS not tracking distance/anything without their phone. I would want one to be able to walk/run and track it without having my phone so this would obviously be a deal breaker and would seem strange as it is an advertised feature.

I've only read this is a problem with the Nike running app with it not working with the watches internal GPS or something. Someone else said they got it to work by turning Bluetooth off??? I would be using bluetooth headphones to listen to playlists stored on the phone so this would also be bad.

Have these problems been fixed or were they exagerrated to begin with?

All series 2 (normal or Nike) will track distance without a phone with you right? Even when using Bluetooth headphones to listen to stored music playlists while leaving my phone at home?

Thanks heaps

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
have read that people are having problems with GPS not tracking distance/anything without their phone.

I haven't heard anything about that specifically, especially as a GPS problem. Apparently there are metrics not available on the Watch that show up when you get home and it talks to the phone.

All series 2 (normal or Nike) will track distance without a phone with you right? Even when using Bluetooth headphones to listen to stored music playlists while leaving my phone at home?

Again I'm unfamiliar with the details, but all S2 Watches ('normal' and Nike+) have built-in dedicated GPS, and it should function while using a GPS app, and while listening to Watch-store music with BT earphones.

Nike has updated it's app to work with GPS, but I know nothing about it. My only gripe with Apple's and Nike's GPS implementation is the lack of a GPS 'lock' indicator, confirming your Watch has a GPS satellite signal. This is not doubt a philosophical design point on Apple part, but I'd like to see it, just as car GPS units do. I don't know if other GPS watches or fitness bands have such an indicator.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
If the GPS was fundamentally broken don't you think it would be headline news on every tech site? Mine tracks fine without a phone.

The biggest issue right now is that very few apps have been updated to do GPS without the phone; most of the major fitness apps still use the phone GPS. I think they will get updates but that's the position today.

The Nike app does record without the phone and does it reasonably well from my limited tests. The downside is it's pretty basic and the phone app is a mess.

So my opinion is the GPS Apple Watch is good, but the GPS apps are a bit disappointing right now

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Oh and doing stuff like turning off Bluetooth is absolute bull. Make a note of who said it and disregard everything else they say. You absolutely can leave your phone at home and listen to music (big clue here) via Bluetooth and record a GPS trail

SamNatale

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Oh and doing stuff like turning off Bluetooth is absolute bull. Make a note of who said it and disregard everything else they say. You absolutely can leave your phone at home and listen to music (big clue here) via Bluetooth and record a GPS trail

After running with just the watch I found that I missed the phone. But when I ran with only the watch the GPS and music both worked great. I may start doing every other run sans phone.

NinerJet9

May 16, 2013
Visit site
After running with just the watch I found that I missed the phone. But when I ran with only the watch the GPS and music both worked great. I may start doing every other run sans phone.

That's exactly what I do. Music and gps through AW and phone at home. I love not feeling a phone flop back and forth in a pocket or strapped to my arm.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2