Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Rob Phillips
  • 2 Post By Rob Phillips
  • 1 Post By Rob Phillips
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

Default Newbie!!

I just got my Series 2 watch (space black aluminum, 38mm, black nylon) and I feel like a fish out of water. I had a Samsung Gear s2 with my last phone and I lived it. But now I'm just like....omg what do I do. I am familiar with iOS, iPhone, mac, so I don't understand why I feel so lost with this Watch!

I am debating on returning it for the 42mm but the wait for that is a couple weeks which sucks. I love the nylon band, I want the pink one that Best Buy says is coming soon!!

Anyways, any tips at all??

Default Re: Newbie!!

Welcome to iMore! I can understand why you feel lost. watchOS is way different than iOS and macOS. The best advice I can give you is to play around with it and give it a little time. You'll find your groove. To help start that process you can download the Apple Watch User Guide from iBooks. Follow the link below.

Apple Watch User Guide by Apple Inc.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/app...mUvbUpU2832286

Feel free to ask any questions that come to mind!
    jaleesag88 and firedept10 like this.

Welcome to iMore and Congrats on your new Apple Watch ⌚️. Enjoy

Welcome to iMore!

Congrats on your new watch. Take your time and read the guide Rob Phillips has supplied and you should be fine.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

Does anyone know how to get the Watch to track steps? My iPhone is showing my steps but all my circles on the Watch haven't moved at all today!

Quote Originally Posted by jaleesag88 View Post
    Does anyone know how to get the Watch to track steps? My iPhone is showing my steps but all my circles on the Watch haven't moved at all today!
    Make sure you've gone into your Activity app on your Watch and set it up. From there your steps should start tracking. If you're still having problems try resetting your Watch by holding down both buttons.

jaleesag88 and Mac Guy like this.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    Make sure you've gone into your Activity app on your Watch and set it up. From there your steps should start tracking. If you're still having problems try resetting your Watch by holding down both buttons.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...1ba56f8af0.png
    Thank you so much!! I read online forever and no one ever suggested resetting the Watch. A common solution I might have thought of on my own if I wasn't at work lol. But it worked and it's tracking now!! Too bad I missed out on over half the day of it tracking, but tomorrow is a new day!

Thank you so much!! I read online forever and no one ever suggested resetting the Watch. A common solution I might have thought of on my own if I wasn't at work lol. But it worked and it's tracking now!! Too bad I missed out on over half the day of it tracking, but tomorrow is a new day!
    Glad it worked! Electronics Golden Rule: If it isn't working, turn it off and back on before trying anything else.
    Mac Guy likes this.

Congrats on the new watch! I'm sure if you stick with it and get used to it you'll find it works well

Here are some iMore guides. Some might be more for watchOS 2 but most is the same, with a few exceptions:

Community Manager

Global Posts
    5,953 Global Posts

@jaleesag88 - Congrats and welcome to iMore!

I see some of our volunteers have already steered you in the right direction with some great info (thanks all!)... hope to see you around here for a long time to come!
    iMore Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    Electronics Golden Rule: If it isn't working, turn it off and back on before trying anything else.
    I think it's also the Eleventh Commandment!

I am debating on returning it for the 42mm but the wait for that is a couple weeks which sucks.
    I like the look of the 42mm on my wrist, and with the AW (original series) it got better battery life. Don't know if that's the case with the S2. But it was also more legible for me than the 38mm. 38s are good but bigger is better. Go with what works for you.

Anyways, any tips at all??
    Read through the guide (you can download the pdf and put in on your phone in iBooks) but don't try to master it all at once. Pick out one function that you want the Watch to perform and work it out. If it's not working out, don't hesitate to ask. I've learned a lot here! This is by far the friendliest forum I've ever seen, let alone extremely helpful.

Once you've got one function down, pick another. You'll learn your way around the Watch very quickly.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

So far I am loving it!! But I think I want the 42mm instead. Unfortunately it's not in stock anywhere around me (go figure). I can order it and it will be delivered around the end of November, beginning of December. Now my question is, would the series 1 survive a dunk into a river? I go kayaking a lot in the summer, which was partially the reasoning for series 2.
    iMore Pro

Now my question is, would the series 1 survive a dunk into a river? I
    It might, depends on the dunk. A lot of people shower with their Apple Watch (original) and say 'no problem'. The Series 1 would probably be on par with the Apple Watch.

But if you spend a lot of time on and maybe in the water, I'd go with the S2. Piece of mind, and GPS is a nice perk.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Guy View Post
    It might, depends on the dunk. A lot of people shower with their Apple Watch (original) and say 'no problem'. The Series 1 would probably be on par with the Apple Watch.

But if you spend a lot of time on and maybe in the water, I'd go with the S2. Piece of mind, and GPS is a nice perk.
    That's what I had read for the most part....I think I'm just going to stick with the 38mm and be happy lol. I enjoy the Watch and don't want to wait 3-4 weeks for a 42mm.
    iMore Pro

That's what I had read for the most part....I think I'm just going to stick with the 38mm and be happy lol. I enjoy the Watch and don't want to wait 3-4 weeks for a 42mm.
    Yes, the Watch is difficult to part with, even for a day or two on my SDOs. Have you looked around—Macy's, Target, Best Buy, retail, online? I really like the 42 over the 38, but would hate the wait.
    Community Manager

Global Posts
    5,953 Global Posts

Yeah the wait does stink, but hey, if you can use the water resistance, GPS, and updated specs (FASTER!) might be worth considering