Best golf apps for Apple Watch

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey all - looking for some recommendations here.

I'm a big golfer (well, I used to be when I had time!) :) - and now that my series 2 is on the way (should have it later this month), am wondering what the best apps for golf are? Would love to have accurate yardages on my wrist at all times. Carry distances, key target distances, front/middle/back green numbers, etc. All the standard stuff.

Any recommendations?

oxoxtro600

Oct 12, 2003
Visit site
I have been using Golfshot for years on various devices. I use it more on my iPhone 6+ then on my Apple Watch series 0 because its sluggish/ slow to pick up the GPS readings.. After the most recent software upgrades, iPhone OS10 and Watch OS3, I have a new issue of bluetooth connectivity dropping out between the watch and the iPhone. So using the watch running Golfshot is impossible for the moment.
All that being said, The Apple Watch series 2 with builtin GPS should run like a champ using Golfshot. The only question is battery life after a round of golf.. Let us know

southpawmedic

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
When I used golfshot on my Series 0 there was a bit of lag updating my yardage. With my Series 2 there's much improvement. I raise my wrist and it's updated very quickly. I haven't seen any changes in battery usage comparing the two watches during an 18 hole round. If anyone wants to be friends on golfshot we can share rounds or compare scores.

oxoxtro600

Oct 12, 2003
Visit site
I now have a series two watch. When on Golfshot, I'm using the iPhone GPS and do not know how to set up so that the watch GPS is calculating the yardage for Golfshot. Any ideas

oxoxtro600

Oct 12, 2003
Visit site
I tried airplane mode and the Golfshot yardage just froze on both my watch and iPhone. There must a setting that enables the watch GPS to take over.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
the only way your new apple watch will use its own gps is if your phone is not nearby or you turn off the phone's cellular connection
What southpaw said.

I tried airplane mode and the Golfshot yardage just froze on both my watch and iPhone.
I'm just guessing but your app seems to need the phone to function because the app probably isn't/wasn't written to support the Watch's GPS. This was the case with Nike's running app, but it's been updated.

I highly doubt there's a setting to bypass the phone and use the Watch's GSP with the phone present. The idea is to save the Watch's battery and use that phone's GPS because of it's much larger battery. It wouldn't seem likely that Apple would allow a dev to circumvent that.

Contact the app developer to see what's what. There may be a new app on your horizon.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey all - looking for some recommendations here.

I'm a big golfer (well, I used to be when I had time!) :) - and now that my series 2 is on the way (should have it later this month), am wondering what the best apps for golf are? Would love to have accurate yardages on my wrist at all times. Carry distances, key target distances, front/middle/back green numbers, etc. All the standard stuff.

Any recommendations?

As a fellow Golfer, its awesome having some Apps on your Apple watch ^_^

@Just_Me_D , ill have a look at the 'Swing' App :)

I'm only allowed to play once per week otherwise the old 'ball and chain' gets an
noyed because we don't spent enough time together. (she doesn't like golf) :p

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner