Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Suggs68's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

    Default Series 2 GPS observations

    On my last 2 runs with the Watch sans phone, I'm noticing on the post-run map review, that there's a small gap in GPS coverage each time I had to stop at an intersection where I paused the run. Generally it's probably 1/100 of a mile or so, and once is was more like. 2 or 3/100s of a mile. This isn't a lot, but if you have to stop 4 or 5 times, which I did today, it has an impact, almost 1/10th of a mile. I'll continue testing but there shouldn't be a gap like that with each pause
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  
    Suggs68's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    Series 2 GPS observations-imoreappimg_20160922_230306.jpg

    Here's an image of the gap
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    So it doesn't realize you've crossed the road?
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    Suggs68's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    Quote Originally Posted by eyecrispy View Post
    So it doesn't realize you've crossed the road?
    Not that. It took a couple of seconds for the GPS to start working again in the workout app after I paused at an intersection
  5. #5  
    Mac Guy's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    664 Posts

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    Maybe, before you start your run, after each stop, you should- do a little dance...
  6. #6  
    mfm77's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    283 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    That's a little concerning, especially for long runs. Thanks for the info!
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    Quote Originally Posted by Suggs68 View Post
    Not that. It took a couple of seconds for the GPS to start working again in the workout app after I paused at an intersection
    Oh. Booo.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    Suggs68's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    Quote Originally Posted by mfm77 View Post
    That's a little concerning, especially for long runs. Thanks for the info!
    I ran 5 yesterday, same route, and made sure to un-pause at each intersection before I started running again. No gaps. I usually unpause as I start running, but those couple of seconds made a difference.
    eyecrispy likes this.
  9. #9  
    mfm77's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    283 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    Quote Originally Posted by Suggs68 View Post
    I ran 5 yesterday, same route, and made sure to un-pause at each intersection before I started running again. No gaps. I usually unpause as I start running, but those couple of seconds made a difference.
    For sure, a few seconds can make or break overall pace and distance measurements. I'm running the Bronx 10 miler tomorrow with my version 1 AW and phone and am interested to see how many runners are using Series 2 watches. There are a few Series 2 available in NYC, so if my measurements are off, I can always upgrade while I'm there.
    Last edited by mfm77; 09-25-2016 at 02:37 PM.
  10. #10  
    mfm77's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    283 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    I ran the Bronx 10 miler today (with my phone in tow), and my pace and distance were off by 13 seconds/mile and .3 miles, respectively. That's enough to convince me to give Series 2 a shot and try running with the watch GPS and my phone in airplane mode.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    Quote Originally Posted by mfm77 View Post
    I ran the Bronx 10 miler today (with my phone in tow), and my pace and distance were off by 13 seconds/mile and .3 miles, respectively. That's enough to convince me to give Series 2 a shot and try running with the watch GPS and my phone in airplane mode.
    Wow. That's pretty inaccurate. Was your actual pace 13 sec/mile faster or slower than the AW time? Were you comparing it to the official race timing?
  12. #12  
    mfm77's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    283 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    Quote Originally Posted by eyecrispy View Post
    Wow. That's pretty inaccurate. Was your actual pace 13 sec/mile faster or slower than the AW time? Were you comparing it to the official race timing?
    Yeah, I compared it to the race time, which had me at a slower pace (9:51/mi) in contrast to the watch pace (9:38/mi). I was using Runtastic Pro, which - since the last update - has been buggy, not staying on the watch screen even though it's running in the background. It could very well be the bug causing the issue, but this was happening even before today. I thought watchOS 3 would fix it, but I guess not.
  13. #13  
    tcuprof's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    306 Posts

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    Quote Originally Posted by mfm77 View Post
    Yeah, I compared it to the race time, which had me at a slower pace (9:51/mi) in contrast to the watch pace (9:38/mi).
    In which case, I would assume the watch is more accurate.
    mfm77 likes this.
  14. #14  
    mfm77's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    283 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    Quote Originally Posted by tcuprof View Post
    In which case, I would assume the watch is more accurate.
    RIGHT!!!!
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    Quote Originally Posted by mfm77 View Post
    Yeah, I compared it to the race time, which had me at a slower pace (9:51/mi) in contrast to the watch pace (9:38/mi). I was using Runtastic Pro, which - since the last update - has been buggy, not staying on the watch screen even though it's running in the background. It could very well be the bug causing the issue, but this was happening even before today. I thought watchOS 3 would fix it, but I guess not.
    Ugh. Runkeeper did that to me a TON on os2. So much so that I deleted it. Was hoping these third party apps are more reliable on os3. Boo.

    Quote Originally Posted by tcuprof View Post
    In which case, I would assume the watch is more accurate.
    Lol, me too!
  16. #16  
    mfm77's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    283 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    I did another half marathon with my AW Series 0 (lol) and my phone and, once again, was off by .33 of a mile (13.44 for a 13.1 race). For those with AW Series 2, are you still seeing accurate measurements? Convince me to upgrade, lol.
  17. #17  
    nnahorski's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    Quote Originally Posted by mfm77 View Post
    I did another half marathon with my AW Series 0 (lol) and my phone and, once again, was off by .33 of a mile (13.44 for a 13.1 race). For those with AW Series 2, are you still seeing accurate measurements? Convince me to upgrade, lol.
    While I'm by no means a professional runner, my AW S2 distance seems to be pretty accurate. My normal run during the workweek is 4.2 miles on my phone and the AW measures it as 4.18 miles. So my pace is 9:31/mile and 9:34/mile, respectively, between my phone and AW. Pretty accurate there and certainly good enough for my purposes and not having to strap my phone on my arm, which has always annoyed me. The caveat for my calculations is that I don't need to stop at any intersections. Perhaps that impacts the accuracy a bit.

    On weekends I run a bit longer, and the distance and pace seems pretty accurate there as well.
  18. #18  
    SamNatale's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    23 Posts

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    I ran one time with the AW2 and no phone. It seemed very accurate but I decided I really like having my phone while running for a variety of reasons. So here's my question:

    Is it possible to run with music from the phone (wireless) but use the watch's GPS? I realize there's no reason to do that, but I'm still curious.
  19. #19  
    Mac Guy's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    664 Posts

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    Quote Originally Posted by SamNatale View Post
    Is it possible to run with music from the phone (wireless) but use the watch's GPS?
    I don't think so, but that's pure guess work. I think the phone uses Bluetooth to tell the Watch 'I got this' with regards to GPS. But BT's how you'd be 'wireless' and listening to music.

    If the phone is in Airplane mode, you'd be using the Watch's GPS. But then no music from the phone without a cord.


    Quote Originally Posted by SamNatale View Post
    I realize there's no reason to do that
    Then there's that. LOL
    SamNatale likes this.
  20. #20  
    Matty's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    200 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,945 Global Posts

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    Quote Originally Posted by Suggs68 View Post
    On my last 2 runs with the Watch sans phone, I'm noticing on the post-run map review, that there's a small gap in GPS coverage each time I had to stop at an intersection where I paused the run. Generally it's probably 1/100 of a mile or so, and once is was more like. 2 or 3/100s of a mile. This isn't a lot, but if you have to stop 4 or 5 times, which I did today, it has an impact, almost 1/10th of a mile. I'll continue testing but there shouldn't be a gap like that with each pause
    Interesting. Thanks for the findings. The only thing i can think of is, maybe when yo stop running it stops tracking because i thinks you have finished, but then takes a few seconds to reconnect when you start running again.
  21. #21  
    malt1977's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    94 Posts
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    It's a shame it doesn't auto stop/start like Strava. Maybe Strava will allow the app to run purely off the watch at some point in the future.
  22. #22  
    tcuprof's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    306 Posts

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    I want to revive this thread to add a data point. Even after getting my Nike+ Series 2, I've still been running with my iPhone because I use it as a Fitbit. Friday, my new Fitbit Flex 2 arrived so now I can run without my iPhone! Here's the good news and the reason for the post --

    Based on two runs, the GPS in my Series 2 is accurate. I run pretty much the exact same path through our neighborhood every morning and it's 3.57 miles. After many runs of this path, the iPhone has reported distances ranging from 3.54 to 3.60, but most days it shows 3.57. My two runs with the Series 2 and no iPhone both showed 3.57. I'm very pleased!
  23. #23  
    StraightlineBoy's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    95 Posts

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    I see that the original post looks to be using the Workouts app...I've been using the Nike Run Club app and don't seem to get similar gaps even with auto-pause turned on. I think this means it's an app issue rather than a fundamental problem with the series 2 GPS watch
  24. #24  
    tcuprof's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    306 Posts

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    Quote Originally Posted by StraightlineBoy View Post
    I see that the original post looks to be using the Workouts app...I've been using the Nike Run Club app and don't seem to get similar gaps even with auto-pause turned on. I think this means it's an app issue rather than a fundamental problem with the series 2 GPS watch
    I should have mentioned that I just use the stock Apple Workout app.
  25. #25  
    Rich W3's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    3 Posts

    Default Re: Series 2 GPS observations

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Guy View Post
    I don't think so, but that's pure guess work. I think the phone uses Bluetooth to tell the Watch 'I got this' with regards to GPS. But BT's how you'd be 'wireless' and listening to music.

    If the phone is in Airplane mode, you'd be using the Watch's GPS. But then no music from the phone without a cord.




    Then there's that. LOL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Series 1 - Questionable Battery Life
    By CloudSpeaker in forum Apple Watch Series 2
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-26-2016, 11:33 AM
  2. Will the iPhone 5s work with the Apple Watch series 1 or 2?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2016, 11:54 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-2016, 07:40 AM
  4. Apple Watch S2 - Golf GPS
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2016, 09:22 PM
  5. Running + GPS + Bluetooth battery usage
    By PatrickNSF in forum Apple Watch Series 2
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-19-2016, 08:23 PM

Posting Permissions