Series 2 GPS observations

malt1977

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
It's a shame it doesn't auto stop/start like Strava. Maybe Strava will allow the app to run purely off the watch at some point in the future.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I want to revive this thread to add a data point. Even after getting my Nike+ Series 2, I've still been running with my iPhone because I use it as a Fitbit. Friday, my new Fitbit Flex 2 arrived so now I can run without my iPhone! Here's the good news and the reason for the post --

Based on two runs, the GPS in my Series 2 is accurate. I run pretty much the exact same path through our neighborhood every morning and it's 3.57 miles. After many runs of this path, the iPhone has reported distances ranging from 3.54 to 3.60, but most days it shows 3.57. My two runs with the Series 2 and no iPhone both showed 3.57. I'm very pleased!

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I see that the original post looks to be using the Workouts app...I've been using the Nike Run Club app and don't seem to get similar gaps even with auto-pause turned on. I think this means it's an app issue rather than a fundamental problem with the series 2 GPS watch

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I see that the original post looks to be using the Workouts app...I've been using the Nike Run Club app and don't seem to get similar gaps even with auto-pause turned on. I think this means it's an app issue rather than a fundamental problem with the series 2 GPS watch

I should have mentioned that I just use the stock Apple Workout app.

Rich W3

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I don't think so, but that's pure guess work. I think the phone uses Bluetooth to tell the Watch 'I got this' with regards to GPS. But BT's how you'd be 'wireless' and listening to music.

If the phone is in Airplane mode, you'd be using the Watch's GPS. But then no music from the phone without a cord.

Then there's that. LOL

Rich W3

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Put the WATCH in airplane mode via the watch and it forces the watch GPS to be used on the run rather than phone's. I have found the watch GPS to be much more accurate, and certainly less variable then phone compared to Garmin GPS watch. (1% to 6%) I then link my bluetooth headphones to to the phone to stream music from iheart during my run. Apple needs to add a setting on the qatch to force watch GPS if they want runner's to take it seriously over the long haul IMHO. Rich

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I ran one time with the AW2 and no phone. It seemed very accurate but I decided I really like having my phone while running for a variety of reasons. So here's my question:

Is it possible to run with music from the phone (wireless) but use the watch's GPS? I realize there's no reason to do that, but I'm still curious.

Don't pair your watch and headphones would make this possible I'd guess

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I see the latest update to the RunKeeper app now supports Watch-only GPS tracking so is a potential alternative to the Nike+ and Workouts app. I'll give it a spin tomorrow and report back with first impressions.

After using the Nike+ app for a bit now my only real issue with it is that Nike thinks my data belongs to them and that I shouldn't be able to upload it to other services that offer better analysis tools than the basic rubbish that they offer. I've used RunGap lately to get the data into Strava but a note from the developer compares getting data out of the Nike app being like trying to get stuff out of North Korea and it will work until Nike break it again and then it won't be supported.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I have found the watch GPS to be much more accurate, and certainly less variable then phone compared to Garmin GPS watch. (1% to 6%) Apple needs to add a setting on the qatch to force watch GPS if they want runner's to take it seriously over the long haul IMHO. Rich

Since I run the same route nearly every day, I have had numerous opportunities to compare the GPS on the watch and the phone. My observation is that they are very similar. The average distance is the same for both devices and the variance is very close. It's too soon to be certain but the watch might be slightly better in terms of variance. Frankly the difference is so trivial, I wouldn't be concerned about which GPS was used IF I were running with the phone.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Wish I was able to share some opinion, but as soon as I got my watch, winter decided to come. I love to run outside, so come spring and summer I'll have some solid experience and data to draw from!

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Wish I was able to share some opinion, but as soon as I got my watch, winter decided to come. I love to run outside, so come spring and summer I'll have some solid experience and data to draw from!

Which reminds me...

We've had quite a bit of rain lately so I've been forced to run a few times on my treadmill. When I run outdoors the watch GPS is quite accurate, but when I run on the treadmill the watch consistently reports slower run speeds than the treadmill setting. Either the treadmill is mis-calibrated or the pedometer on the watch isn't very accurate. Anyone else seeing this?

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
So I gave the RunKeeper watch app a try today. Picked a 5km route that I've done many times before so it's easy to compare. The headline is that it works. Distance was consistent with other apps and my Garmin, and got it uploaded to Strava via RunGap without issue. There was a few things I did note that could be improved though...
Despite picking average pace as a data field in the phone app, the only pace the watch displayed was current pace (like the Nike app) which is a worthless metric as it fluctuates too much.
I got no audio prompts thru my headphones giving splits (could be user error)
The upload from Watch to Phone is a mysterious process that seems to take several minutes and makes you wonder if your data has been lost (to be fair this is also true of the Nike app)
Overall though it works and it's good to have alternatives to the Nike app as I really don't trust Nike with my data (mostly that they will lock away MY data and limit what I can do with MY data)

cheli007

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Looking at the watch settings for RunKeeper, I didn't see a "run indoor" mode (treadmill) like the activity app and Nike+. Did I miss something?

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
My second test of RunKeeper is giving me some serious doubts. In my first kilometre I set a bunch of personal bests today that I'm inclined not to believe (I'd like them to be correct!). I'll repeat the run on Friday with another app and see if I can get close to repeating the times or not

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
My second test of RunKeeper is giving me some serious doubts. In my first kilometre I set a bunch of personal bests today that I'm inclined not to believe (I'd like them to be correct!). I'll repeat the run on Friday with another app and see if I can get close to repeating the times or not

What's causing you to doubt?

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
What's causing you to doubt?
while the overall time for the run wasn't completely crazy it was faster than normal. That could be right but it logged my first kilometre at 4 minutes - a 5 minute kilometre is flat out for me so a whole minute faster definitely isn't right

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
while the overall time for the run wasn't completely crazy it was faster than normal. That could be right but it logged my first kilometre at 4 minutes - a 5 minute kilometre is flat out for me so a whole minute faster definitely isn't right

I don't see how the time could be off so it almost has to be an incorrect distance. Are you running with your phone or using the watch's GPS?

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't see how the time could be off so it almost has to be an incorrect distance. Are you running with your phone or using the watch's GPS?
This was a run just with the RunKeeper watch app - my iPhone was in my office at the time.

I have a theory. The trail on the RunKeeper map starts and my office door and runs until I pressed stop at my normal stopping point. I did not however start the RunKeeper app at my office door - I opened the app then but didn't press GO until I was out of the office complex and over the road, probably a couple of hundred metres away. It's like it's credited me with the correct overall time and distance (I know the 2.55km is correct as I've measured the route on other devices in the past) but squeezed extra GPS points into that timeframe or something weird like that which has messed up the splits. One thing is for sure, until there's a bug fix, I'll go back to either the Nike+ app or the iPhone Strava app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2