Series 2 GPS observations

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
On my last 2 runs with the Watch sans phone, I'm noticing on the post-run map review, that there's a small gap in GPS coverage each time I had to stop at an intersection where I paused the run. Generally it's probably 1/100 of a mile or so, and once is was more like. 2 or 3/100s of a mile. This isn't a lot, but if you have to stop 4 or 5 times, which I did today, it has an impact, almost 1/10th of a mile. I'll continue testing but there shouldn't be a gap like that with each pause

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
That's a little concerning, especially for long runs. Thanks for the info!

I ran 5 yesterday, same route, and made sure to un-pause at each intersection before I started running again. No gaps. I usually unpause as I start running, but those couple of seconds made a difference.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I ran 5 yesterday, same route, and made sure to un-pause at each intersection before I started running again. No gaps. I usually unpause as I start running, but those couple of seconds made a difference.

For sure, a few seconds can make or break overall pace and distance measurements. I'm running the Bronx 10 miler tomorrow with my version 1 AW and phone and am interested to see how many runners are using Series 2 watches. There are a few Series 2 available in NYC, so if my measurements are off, I can always upgrade while I'm there. :D

Last edited:

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I ran the Bronx 10 miler today (with my phone in tow), and my pace and distance were off by 13 seconds/mile and .3 miles, respectively. That's enough to convince me to give Series 2 a shot and try running with the watch GPS and my phone in airplane mode.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I ran the Bronx 10 miler today (with my phone in tow), and my pace and distance were off by 13 seconds/mile and .3 miles, respectively. That's enough to convince me to give Series 2 a shot and try running with the watch GPS and my phone in airplane mode.

Wow. That's pretty inaccurate. Was your actual pace 13 sec/mile faster or slower than the AW time? Were you comparing it to the official race timing?

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Wow. That's pretty inaccurate. Was your actual pace 13 sec/mile faster or slower than the AW time? Were you comparing it to the official race timing?

Yeah, I compared it to the race time, which had me at a slower pace (9:51/mi) in contrast to the watch pace (9:38/mi). I was using Runtastic Pro, which - since the last update - has been buggy, not staying on the watch screen even though it's running in the background. It could very well be the bug causing the issue, but this was happening even before today. I thought watchOS 3 would fix it, but I guess not.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I compared it to the race time, which had me at a slower pace (9:51/mi) in contrast to the watch pace (9:38/mi). I was using Runtastic Pro, which - since the last update - has been buggy, not staying on the watch screen even though it's running in the background. It could very well be the bug causing the issue, but this was happening even before today. I thought watchOS 3 would fix it, but I guess not.

Ugh. Runkeeper did that to me a TON on os2. So much so that I deleted it. Was hoping these third party apps are more reliable on os3. Boo.

In which case, I would assume the watch is more accurate. :rotfl:

Lol, me too!

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I did another half marathon with my AW Series 0 (lol) and my phone and, once again, was off by .33 of a mile (13.44 for a 13.1 race). For those with AW Series 2, are you still seeing accurate measurements? Convince me to upgrade, lol.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I did another half marathon with my AW Series 0 (lol) and my phone and, once again, was off by .33 of a mile (13.44 for a 13.1 race). For those with AW Series 2, are you still seeing accurate measurements? Convince me to upgrade, lol.

While I'm by no means a professional runner, my AW S2 distance seems to be pretty accurate. My normal run during the workweek is 4.2 miles on my phone and the AW measures it as 4.18 miles. So my pace is 9:31/mile and 9:34/mile, respectively, between my phone and AW. Pretty accurate there and certainly good enough for my purposes and not having to strap my phone on my arm, which has always annoyed me. The caveat for my calculations is that I don't need to stop at any intersections. Perhaps that impacts the accuracy a bit.

On weekends I run a bit longer, and the distance and pace seems pretty accurate there as well.

SamNatale

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I ran one time with the AW2 and no phone. It seemed very accurate but I decided I really like having my phone while running for a variety of reasons. So here's my question:

Is it possible to run with music from the phone (wireless) but use the watch's GPS? I realize there's no reason to do that, but I'm still curious.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Is it possible to run with music from the phone (wireless) but use the watch's GPS?

I don't think so, but that's pure guess work. I think the phone uses Bluetooth to tell the Watch 'I got this' with regards to GPS. But BT's how you'd be 'wireless' and listening to music.

If the phone is in Airplane mode, you'd be using the Watch's GPS. But then no music from the phone without a cord.

I realize there's no reason to do that

Then there's that. LOL

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
On my last 2 runs with the Watch sans phone, I'm noticing on the post-run map review, that there's a small gap in GPS coverage each time I had to stop at an intersection where I paused the run. Generally it's probably 1/100 of a mile or so, and once is was more like. 2 or 3/100s of a mile. This isn't a lot, but if you have to stop 4 or 5 times, which I did today, it has an impact, almost 1/10th of a mile. I'll continue testing but there shouldn't be a gap like that with each pause

Interesting. Thanks for the findings. The only thing i can think of is, maybe when yo stop running it stops tracking because i thinks you have finished, but then takes a few seconds to reconnect when you start running again.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice