For those considering an AW Series 2 to use as a running watch sans iPhone, here are some preliminary stats on battery usage

Did this week's long, slow distance run @13.5 miles in 2:13:29 (9'52"/mi) w/ iPhone turned off completely. GPS and Music through bluetooth were on. Battery drained 60% (from 78% to 18%). Only unusual factor was a lot of screen glancing because I was trying to keep my pace about 1'30" slower than marathon pace (though I bonked the last few miles). Hope that's helpful.
    tcuprof likes this.
    09-18-2016 06:12 PM
    Thanks for the update! Let us know how it does over time. I did. 5.5 miler this morning with my daughter with my original AW. Slooooow 5.5 miles bc she doesn't try at all. My AW was at 100% when we started and it was at 72% after so I don't think your stats are bad at all considering series 2 has gps.
    09-18-2016 06:16 PM
    I don't think it's bad, but it's not great either. Hard to tell how much of the drain was GPS and how much was bluetooth audio.

I always run with my iPhone (for safety, audio and photos), so this was more of a curiosity than anything. I think it's totally fine for casual running and even up to a half marathon. For a full marathon, I think you'd need to ditch bluetooth audio – or maybe HR sampling – just to be safe.
    09-18-2016 06:28 PM
    The Series 2 is rated at about 5 hours battery life with the GPS running. I think that can be extended a bit with the HRM turned off.
    09-18-2016 07:00 PM
    Yup, but I also think that must be without bluetooth audio...right? I plan to try next week's long run with the phone connected and see how it compares.

Really happy with the screen improvement!
    eyecrispy likes this.
    09-18-2016 07:32 PM
    The Series 2 is rated at about 5 hours battery life with the GPS running. I think that can be extended a bit with the HRM turned off.
    I like having hrm on. I monitor that a lot when I'm running, esp in my longer runs.
    09-18-2016 08:14 PM
    I like having hrm on. I monitor that a lot when I'm running, esp in my longer runs.
    I could probably leave the HR off permanently. I already have a separate device, and hope it'll pair with the Watch. Hopefully they'll let me test it in the store before I purchase.
    09-18-2016 08:50 PM
    Is it possible to disable the GPS on the watch?

I'm just curious really as when I run I always have my phone. I'd like the option to still launch Strava from the watch but use the GPS etc from the phone.
    09-19-2016 01:18 AM

I'm just curious really as when I run I always have my phone. I'd like the option to still launch Strava from the watch but use the GPS etc from the phone.
    Gps is activated by the running apps. It's not always on.
    09-19-2016 06:02 AM

If you have your phone the watch's GPS won't turn on. It uses the watch GPS only if the phone isn't present.
    09-19-2016 06:22 AM
    So for example I visit a foreign country and I want to use GPS on the watch for location detection for maps and weather, I can't use it with my phone around?
    09-19-2016 07:06 AM
    So for example I visit a foreign country and I want to use GPS on the watch for location detection for maps and weather, I can't use it with my phone around?
    I don't think so. I think it will default to the phone's GPS, which is a good thing since it's very accurate and it won't affect your watch battery.
    09-19-2016 09:56 AM
    I just did a 4 mile run without my phone to test the Series 2 GPS, and color me impressed. Very accurate, def as accurate as my Garmin. I also listened to music with Bluetooth headphones from the watch and used the HRM. The activity was a bit under 30 minutes, and the battery only went down about 10%.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the phone's exercise app. Good stats on the run but no weekly/monthly stats, and the map of my run, which synced with the phone as soon as I got home, was accurate but didn't show the mile markers like other apps do. Hoping the 3rd party running apps will support the Series 2 GPS soon. Overall though, a very solid running watch.
    09-19-2016 10:02 AM
    I don't think so. I think it will default to the phone's GPS, which is a good thing since it's very accurate and it won't affect your watch battery.
    Oh dear, so I guess there's really no point for me to change to the series 2 already. Thanks for the clarification.
    09-19-2016 10:06 AM
    The only thing I'm not crazy about is the phone's exercise app. Good stats on the run but no weekly/monthly stats, and the map of my run, which synced with the phone as soon as I got home, was accurate but didn't show the mile markers like other apps do. Hoping the 3rd party running apps will support the Series 2 GPS soon. Overall though, a very solid running watch.
    That's why I use Strava, ticks all the boxes for my needs.
    09-19-2016 11:58 AM
    Oh dear, so I guess there's really no point for me to change to the series 2 already. Thanks for the clarification.
    The point of having GPS on your watch is to run without your phone and accurately track your location and distance. Gps watch with phone is pointless.
    09-19-2016 11:59 AM
    You could take a look at RunGap. It allows you to export the AW's standard Workout data to other sites (Garmin, Strava, etc.) I've tried it with Garmin, Strava and MapMyRun and it works fine. As of now, map data doesn't export but I assume that's only a matter of time.

I'll probably try Strava at some point this week, although they haven't committed to revising the AW app to use the AW's internal GPS sensor yet. At this point, if I run with only the AW my primary focus is to find an app that does background refresh (since I run with my phone anyway). So far the only one that does (that I've found) is Apple's Workout app.
    09-19-2016 12:31 PM
    You could take a look at RunGap. It allows you to export the AW's standard Workout data to other sites (Garmin, Strava, etc.) I've tried it with Garmin, Strava and MapMyRun and it works fine. As of now, map data doesn't export but I assume that's only a matter of time.

I'll probably try Strava at some point this week, although they haven't committed to revising the AW app to use the AW's internal GPS sensor yet. At this point, if I run with only the AW my primary focus is to find an app that does background refresh (since I run with my phone anyway). So far the only one that does (that I've found) is Apple's Workout app.
    Runkeeper also does background refresh. It's much more stable now, but doesn't yet use the AW GPS, nor does it have the ability to add/change fields on the watch interface, but it works well
    09-19-2016 02:14 PM
    The point of having GPS on your watch is to run without your phone and accurately track your location and distance. Gps watch with phone is pointless.
    Noted on that.
    09-19-2016 06:19 PM
    Runkeeper also does background refresh. It's much more stable now, but doesn't yet use the AW GPS, nor does it have the ability to add/change fields on the watch interface, but it works well
    When did it become more stable? The last time I used it was in April when it quit working on me three times during a race. I was so annoyed with it that I just deleted it from my watch. Landed on Strava after trying a few others and have been using that ever since. I don't like strava's interface as well, but I love that they already make use of the HRM on the AW.
    09-19-2016 07:19 PM
    They updated for iOS 10 and Watch OS3 last week. Used it a couple of times and was very stable, it's not supporting Series 2 yet tho.
    eyecrispy likes this.
    09-19-2016 07:23 PM